putting a baby into their own room

hayley

Reaction score
what age do you think is okay to move a baby into their own room?

i know they say 6 months to prevent cot death but is this just MW being old fashioned?

i know quite a few people who moved their moses baskets/cribs into the nursery when the baby was a few week old. (even 3)... Many people have said the baby sleeps better when they're in their own room.. at first i'll probably be checking the baby every 10 mins but with a monitor on i think it shoud be okay...

what age did you move your babies into their own rooms?
x

Alex was about 10 weeks i think. it was about the time he started going through the night. was easier with night nfeeds for him to be in with us but once he was going through on the odd night i realised we were disturbing him as much as he was us in the night. he didnt bat an eyelid at the move and started wsleeping through within about a week but he is a very adaptable baby, never seems to mind anything changing :D which makes for an easy life for mummy!

we have a movement sensor alarm in his cot so that was very reassuring when he moved to the cot.

its a very personal thing and you need to be 100% comfortable if you move them to their own room i think. theres nothing wrong with keeping them in with you if thats what you want to do.

good luck with whatever you choose to do!

xx

ruben was about 7 or 8 weeks old i think, and he slept better once he was out of our room!

7 weeks. We both slept better as I wasn't waking everytime Ella made a teeny sound and whisking her out to feed her!

I still have the monitor on full volume and sensitivity.

When you moved your little one into their own room did you leave LO in their moses basket first so they got used to being in another room or pop them straight into the cot?
We are worried that Charlie might be abit wary of the amount of space around him but he will need to get used to it eventually. He slept from 10.30pm to 6.30am (was around 5/5.30am for the past week) for the first time last night so fingers crossed he might he sleeping longer now :pray:

Rubie is 5.5 months and still in with us. She moved from the moses basket to the travel cot this week and it didn't affect her sleeping apart from with all that space she keeps rolling over and I have to go and keep turning her back!! :wall:

I may move her to her own room when she is 6 months but I don't feel ready at the moment.

kacy went in her own room about 2 and a half months she ran out of room in her moses basket she had on and off sleeping through and the only reason she was waking up was because me and oh were waking her up when getting ready for bed, we got her used to her cot before she went in it she feel asleep in it every so often

Straight from her crib to her cot - she was getting too big for her crib in the way that she kept banging her arms on the sides of it. For a couple of days before I put her down for her naps in her cot so she'd get used to it.

i did the same as the others - get them used to it with naps - also alex loved to lie and watch his mobile go round which we would let him do while we did jobs round the house. that way he already associated his cot with being somewhere he is happy. he still loves to have a little chill out with his mobile - the minute you reach up to wind it up he starts to grin as he knows its coming :lol:

x

Hi

Olivia was also about 7 wks old when we put her in her own room, for the first few nights we put her carrycot inside her cot then put her in the cot.

I was really glad when Olivia started to control her arms better and then went in a grobag, I couldn't seem to get the blankets tucked in very well in the cot.

Lucy

I put Colby into hercot when she was 10 weeks. because she sleeps on her front (i know i shouldnt let her but she has a birth mark on her back and its getting pretty big out the way and im frightend it may burst like adeles did) i have to put her into a sleeping bag thing its very small and she fits in it perfect. Got up yesterday morning and she wiggled out of it and turnded round :roll: so she was laying across the cot thank got i herd he groaning as she couldnt get her titty in her mouth....lol so now shes in a grow bag with no covers just a heavier sleep suit on as i dont like the idea of her wriggling around so soon

I still co-sleep with Seren (she goes into her crib first but when she wakes she comes into our bed) and she is 5 1/2 months old. I like co-sleeping as it fits in with my parenting style and feels right to me. I think that it is just a personal choice

Braydon went staright in to his room as soon as we got home from hozzie i could hear every breath tho as our walls r really thin and he is rite next to me

Ruby has only just gone into her own room. Its not too bad, first night she slept like a log but last night she woke at 4am and wanted a feed. Put her to bed tonight at 8.30pm and she woke up at 10pm wanting a feed again. Not going to well at the moment.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

James is still in with us at 5 months. We co-sleep a lot of the time and plan to keep it that way. I don't expect he will move out until about 18 months/2 years old. Its been the same with the other 3 kids too.
There is a theory that the noise us parents make while sleeping (especially DH!) actually keeps babies in a lighter sleep so less likely to suffer sleep apnoea.

personal choice in the end though isn't it..

hi hillbilly and welcome to the forum. its great to hear from another co-sleeper (am taking oh into buying a bigger bed now lol)

beanie do you have Seren in the bed when OH is there too or just you? I can't have Rubie in the bed when OH is there because he is such a deep sleeper he would roll onto her (he's forever rolling onto me lol)

Normally he sleeps in the spare room as he gets up at stupid o clock in the morning and needs a good nights sleep as he works on a building site (Seren was waking loads). But he does come into bed with us at the weekend or when he is on holiday (like at the mo) and in that case it is OH then me in the middle, then Seren on the side by the crib so she can't fall out. My OH is a heavy sleeper too (he wakes me up more then she ever dopes lol) so I feel safer doing it this way though we have all napped during the day and she has been in the middle of us. Seren takes up the most room, flowed by OH then there is me so I am trying to get OH to agree to a much bigger bed.

He he I have a kingsize bed and there still isn't enough room lol. We also have a space at each side of the bed so unfortunately Rubie can't sleep on the edge or she may fall out. Her travel cot is at the foot of the bed against the wall. I bring her into bed with me at 6am every morning. I put her in the middle with cushions all down the side of the bed, then I lie next to her. she can only roll one way so I lie at that side of her then if she does roll it would only be into me!!

beanie said:
hi hillbilly and welcome to the forum. its great to hear from another co-sleeper (am taking oh into buying a bigger bed now lol)

Hi beanie and thanks

Yeah, normal double bed is a bit of a squeeze and ribs black and blue but hey, waking up and having a snuggly, warm, chubby little body next to yours is great isn't it!

Nice having a baby in bed too :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back