puppy

dina.marie

Reaction score
as u know me and oh are ttc after 2 losses now. we already have a dog and for ages we have been thinking about getting a pup to keep him company. but do u think we are crazy for getting a puppy when ttc? i would have to cope with our dog when we have a ababy anyway, do u think having two will be too much hard work????

Just remember that you will have to housetrain a puppy and if you get pregnant and suffer from nausea and fatigue etc then it will be a difficult task. We got a puppy recently when Maddison turned one and it wasnt easy housetraining while being tired from Maddisons teething. If you think you could cope with it then go for it hun, what puppy you think of? :hug: :hug:

I was in exactly the same boat as you! We'd already got a dog and were thinking about TTC. As we felt so sorry for our pooch being on his own a lot of the time whilst we worked, we decided to get a pup to keep him company. That was last November and now she's 1, and he's almost 3 and to be really honest - I regret getting her! Don't get me wrong she's lovely (mad though - lab x collie!) but to start with, Kayto (our 1st dog) didn't like it. I think he felt more pushed out than anything which was the one thing we didn't want. Plus, I'm dreading having to put up with both of them play fighting all day whilst I'm trying to look after a new baby!

Our house is very small though, so as you can imagine 2 boisterous (sp?) dogs plus 1 tiny baby now look like a disaster waiting to happen! Don't let me put you off having one though, as you might be lucky and have a nice calm dog (and a bigger house than me!)!

Good luck with the decision you make though! :hug:

thanks guys, i cant make my mind up. we really want a pup for our other dog but to be honest i think im just trying to fill a gap after losing our babies. hmmmm.

Snuggle said:
what puppy you think of? :hug: :hug:

we've got a staffy already and we want to get a bitch for him. i know people are probably choking on their cup of tea and thinking u cant have a staffy with a new born baby but they are the softest dogs ive ever come across. look at me getting all defensive lol.

We got a puppy about 4 months or so ago and unfortunately he doesnt get all the attention he needs, dont get me wrong he does get attention and love but not as much as he needs because he cant come in to the living room with us cause he is huge and knocks my boy over. If i were to get a puppy again i would have got a smaller breed than what we did and either got him earlier or later. I think if you already have one dog that is enough until you have enough time and energy to look after 1 dog, a mental puppy and a baby who will eventually become an energetic toddler into everything. But if your also anything like me your want will over come sense. lol

As for the breed, i think that a staffy is probably one of the best breeds to have with children.

Can i just say that i thought i could never have children,my dogs are /were my kids.I have 6 dogs,did have 7 when my son was born nearly a year ago.Iam now 4 months pregnant with my second,yes it's hard work but i wouldn't change anything.I personally would go for it.What i have includes to idiotic boxers,they had never had anything to do with kids before DS and they love him,so careful around him etc.

ive been getting really excited about this and have arranged to go and see a pup torrow afternoon. i just rang my mum and she that that i was stupid for even contemplating the idea, it really upset me actually. i know it will be hard work but im prepared for that. OH initally thought it was a good idea now hes a bit reluctant.

im clearly not good enough to be a mother yet cuz i keep miscarrying and everyone else seems to think im not capable enough to look after a puppy. way to make me feel totally useless! i just want something to care for and look after is that such a bloody crime!!!

Aww hun, you do what you feel is right and dont listen to others. My Mum had a right go at me when we got our pup as she said that I wouldnt be looking after Maddison properly coz all my focus would be on the dog and that upset me. Now 3 months later we have a happy housetrained dog and no-one was neglected in the process :hug: :hug: Enjoy tomorrow and for what its worth I think staffies are fantastic with children :hug:

Definitely get another puppy, but only if you are getting the puppy for the right reasons.

Like you we have one dog (14 month old Border Collie), and Im already a little worried how Im going to cope with the new baby and her as my DH works away 3 days a week......however I couldnt cope with 2 dogs and a new baby - but then I dont have experience with staffies - always had collies and they bounce off the walls if they dont get enough exercise.

Having 2 could either be great or a disaster......

Good luck hun and do whats best for you and your OH!

thanks for ur comments. i'll have a long and hard think tonight about this. but i really want to do this for me. sod what others think! i appreciate their concern but i just think theyr being patronising. doesnt help im over touchy atm!

dina.marie said:
thanks for ur comments. i'll have a long and hard think tonight about this. but i really want to do this for me. sod what others think! i appreciate their concern but i just think theyr being patronising. doesnt help im over touchy atm!

I can't really say either way but I totally understand why you need to fill that gap with a little pup to look after. Can I just ask though, if you found out you were pregnant right now, would you still want one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back