Private schools your views

mrs h

Reaction score
Just wondering whether anyone if they had the money then they WOULDNT send them to private school out of principle.
Ive always believed that even if i had money then i wouldnt send my kids to a private school, but looking at some schools now and the kids in them i have started to change my mind.
Does that make me sound like a snob :oops:
How do people afford private school!!!
I have looked into private school in my area and it is 7500 a term!!!
Anyway what are your views on private schools

Also has anyone been to private school?

my friend went to boarding school and because she isnt the type to follow the trends etc she had a sh*t time. I would send Jake to private but not boarding school if I could

ETA: my friend isnt more intellegent for her private education either.

Yes, I would. But just because I had the money and possibly becasue of the smaller class sizes,

Im perfectly happy at the nusery my baby goes to just now and I thinkthe corner stone of her education is our input at home.

Its what happens at homes that makes the differnce.

I went to a private primary school...

I went aged 8/9, before I went I couldn't do maths at all, within a month I was 90% better. There was only 8 other children in my class!!!

I went to private school from age seven to 16 and I loved it, it was a family type atmoshphere the teachers were great and if I could I would do it for Thomas any day. I ended up with only three others in my year and it was like private tuition - a great experience!

frangelle said:

I went aged 8/9, before I went I couldn't do maths at all, within a month I was 90% better. There was only 8 other children in my class!!!

I am very bad at maths naturally. Maybe if It had been caught at a young age I might have progressed better.

Might I add that despite wether I can read/write I could never be a better mum.

For anyone who has voted no, what is the reason you wouldnt send them to a private school?

Me and my oh have talked about it for Leif but only because the schools around here are dreadful and it wouldnt be boarding school. Also half of his family went to private school.

Hi just to say if any of you want to, most of the private schools have scholarships, so your child could get in free or for less if he/she was academic enough.

For myself I was made to focus on school/uni, when I have a kid I will bring it up to focus on being happy and sociable, not so much on passing exams. Although of course I would want them to do as much as they wanted or needed to do- everything in moderation. :)

In a heartbeat. If we are still living abroad then Thea will go to a private school so that she can go somewhere her exams would be accepted in the UK.
We are lucky that even in the UK its something we'll be bale to seriously consider.

Stuart went to boarding school, I went to a grant maintained school.

We got Dan into one of the good schools round here - if he hadn't got a place, he'd be going to boarding school.
The school we want Callum to go to might be closing down soon. There's a campaign to keep it open, but if it does close in the next couple of years, or while he's there, Callum will be going to a private day school.
Charlotte will hopefully go to my old school.

If they ended up at the crap schools round here and we couldn't afford private, I'd seriously consider home schooling.

Mine are in a private Montessori kindergarten now and they'll go to a private International School later on.

I could never send my kids away to school though.

I wiould say yes to private school but no to boarding school x

I went to a private school. I don't think it made me any smarter, but that's not the point of going in my eyes. It was a really nice enviroment to learn in, everyone was respectful to the teachers & the class sizes were capped at 25 in the main school & 16 in sixth form.

I'm currently planning to get Austin into a village school for lower & middle school, then send him to private school somewhere between 11 & 13.

I wouldn't consider boarding school, but I'm quite lucky that there are about 5 good private schools in my town so I wouldn't need to.

tots hope said:
I wiould say yes to private school but no to boarding school x

The nearest private school for Dan is 3 hours away. We had a choice of two high schools for him - the one he got into, the other is on special measures and the kids come out with on average 3 GCSEs. We got him into the good school, but if he'd had to go to the bad school, I wouldn't have thought twice about him boarding during the week. Stuart loved his time boarding and often didn't bother to go home for weekends.

The school we've looked at for Callum isn't too far away. It's special needs and there's transport from our area.

The government keep harping on about choice, but unless you live in one of the major cities, you don't have a choice. You fall into the catchment area of one, maybe 2 schools and tough if they're bad schools. We moved house when we realised we weren't in the catchment for the good school and we've moved again so we're out of the catchment for the bad school

lauramumof2 said:
frangelle said:

I am very bad at maths naturally. Maybe if It had been caught at a young age I might have progressed better.

Might I add that despite wether I can read/write I could never be a better mum.

I too am horrendous at maths, science etc. Its only through being taught at this school that I was able to go to grammar school. It was a very old fashioned school with old fashioned values, and was such a lovely atmosphere AND we had to wear a beret :cheer: :rotfl:

I didn't comment on whether you were a good mum???!!! I'm confused :think:

I can't see us being in the position to afford a privaye school otherwise I would say yes. I really want Seren to go to a Steiner school but the nearest one is too far way and is so expensive.

I have said though that I will seriously consider homeschooling if I am not happy with her school. I just hate the way education is, the fact they have to take SATS at such a young age is awful anfd I think just loses the focus of education.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back