Prednisolone......

leean10

Reaction score
Hi

Have any of you ladies taken this in pregnancy and if so, was it successful?

I have recently suffered my 7th miscarriage and even with the Heparin and Aspirin I have to take for my blood clotting disorder, it is still happening to me.

If anyone has taken it in the past, please let me as I really would like to know how successful it was for you.

Thanks

Lee-Ann x

Hello, I'm on this drug 10mg a day, and am 31 weeks pregnant. On it for a medical condition with my eyes, I would do anything to not be on this steroid anymore tho :(. I don't believe it has so far affected my pregnancy tho. (I have been in varianing doses throughout all my pregnancy)

I'm not sure if your posts referring to successful pregnancys whilst on steroids or if you think it could help with pregnancy? But if its the latter I would never ever advise to request to go on this kind of steroid medication, the side effects are horrific. I'm ever so sorry for your losses tho and I really really hope for the best for you :)

I was reading up on it and I have an appointment with the RMC in a week and I was going to speak to him about taking it and seeing what he said.

I need to try to do something as I am so desperate for a baby now, I will try anything, horrific side effects or not.

Thanks for replying xxx

I honestly don't understand how it would help tho? I'm consultant led due to the medication and have risks of my baby being too small because of it... I do hope that it could help you tho :)! Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious because I'm so worried about being on this drug xxx

I was on pred at the beginning of the pregnancy, they weened me off it pretty quickly because whilst its ok in pregnancy it's obviously better to not be on it. I now have to inject myself with an immune suppressant drug due to an ongoing medical condition - if I didn't have to take it, I wouldn't! If you are desperate to keep the pregnancy steroids won't help! You need to spk to your gp about things like pessaries & cervix stitches x

I was on pred at the beginning of the pregnancy, they weened me off it pretty quickly because whilst its ok in pregnancy it's obviously better to not be on it. I now have to inject myself with an immune suppressant drug due to an ongoing medical condition - if I didn't have to take it, I wouldn't! If you are desperate to keep the pregnancy steroids won't help! You need to spk to your gp about things like pessaries & cervix stitches x

Agreed, I cannot express further my concern and confusion at you wanting to be on this drug. I wish I could be taken off it :(

I'm on a low dose of prednisolone (5mg/day) and have been for several years due to chronic kidney disease (was originally 30mg/day and was quickly whittled down). I have never heard of anyone being prescribed this drug unless absolutely necessary for medical reasons - it's a category C drug which means it's given "only if the potential benefit [to the mother] justifies the potential risk [to the fetus]".

Last edited:
I have had 7 mc's and its the next thing for me to try as everything else so far has not worked!!

I going to see my consultant next week so will speak to him about it, I have no children and am desperate to have a baby!

I understand that, but it's a drug they take you off if they can when pregnant not put you on! I'm just trying to understand your logic for taking the drug!?xxx

I've never ever heard of anyone being given this steroid due to having miscarriages, as has already been said the drug is HARMFUL to foetuses... I'm sorry for sounding quite annoyed, but being on this drug has caused me a lot of pain and worry over my pregnancy so I just don't understand! Xxx

I have been told that it can help people that have had recurrent miscarriages. If I am wrong then fair enough but I wouldn't ask for anything without speaking with my doctor first.

I have read up on it too and there are benefits for women who have suffered numerous miscarriages so that is why I was asking about it.

After 7 I am starting to lose all hope!!

Lee-Ann x

The side effects of pred are horrendous hun... I know you're desperate but really steriods aren't the answer. .. like pippa has said they try to take you off it during pregnancy if they can not because of harm to bubs but due to the extra stress pregnancy and pred put on ur body combined. .. xx

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Well, thanks for answering ladies. I am now at a loose end as to what could be causing my problems now.

Like I said, I was told about this drug and read about so thought I would ask if anyone else had experience with it.

I am going to the RMC next Tuesday so I will speak with him about what I can do but I am looking for something to help me get the baby I so badly want. I am now 33 and I feel time is starting to run out for me so that I why I am feeling desperate!!

Lee-Ann

I really really wish you the best Hun :) I hope they have some good news on how to help :)! Xxx

Maybe it does have its uses in retaining pregnancy, I don't know. Effectively it's a drug that affects inflammation so maybe if there is an area of your reproductive system that is inflamed maybe it'll help - who are we to comment on the advancements of medicine? All I know is that it's a horrible drug but sometimes if I'm prescribed it I take it because the benefits outweigh the side affects.....only just though! I have to inject myself with humira, I was put on it when pregnant because the affects of the drug are thought to be less harmful on my baby than the affects of my medical condition. I've been prescribed this by my consultant in comjunction with the lead obstetrician at my hospital yet I've had 2 nurses comes to my house for check ups & ask why I'm still on it. I get very annoyed & tell them I was put on it specifically when I fell pregnant! What I'm trying to say is that whilst most of us would rather be off pred & know the nasty side affects, maybe your doctor knows something we don't & I doubt that they'd be advising you if there weren't some proven benefits. Good luck x

That's why I asked hon!! I'm also on Clexane and aspirin when I get pregnant as I have a blood clotting disorder!! That doesn't appear to be working for me atm though hence my question about Pred!!

Thanks Rachel for your reply x

Hi Lee-Ann
I just came across your post and from what I can understand you're already on Clexane and Aspirin for a pre-existing medical condition but you're wanting to know whether Prednisolone would help in maintaining a pregnancy?
I can only tell you what I have experienced. I've had 9 years of unexplained infertility. The only hint of what might be preventing me from even getting pregnant (I've never had a positive pregnancy test until last Saturday!) was when my fertility clinic did a specific blood test called a "Natural Killer (NK) Cell Test".

There is alot of differing opinion about whether an increased NK result does actually mean it could be affecting a pregnancy and everyone has to make their own decision about whether this is something they want to pursue or not. Some clinics don't offer this test as the validity of the testing is disputed. In our case we did pursue it and my test came back as me having increased NK. From my basic understanding increased NK may play a role when the embroyo is at the implantation stage - an imbalance of natural killer cells may have a negative effect on implantation but the date to conclusively support this is limited.
I was then put on a regime of Prednisolone (25mg) per day, Clexane 20mg injection and 75 mg aspirin (Pred started the day after egg recovery and the others started on embroyo transfer day). We had this regime in our first IVF and a frozen embroyo cycle following the failed IVF but unfortunately we didn't have any success.
We had our last IVF in July and threw everything at this attempt (intralipid infusion, NK immune therapy regime, endometrial scratch and EEVA monitoring of the embroyos) and we've finally had our positive pregnancy test.
I can't really conclusively say why this particular IVF cycle has worked but I'm just glad that we did everything we could on our last IVF so that we could say we gave it our best shot.
Can I just ask if you've had investigations into your recurrent miscarriage? Have you ever looked into intralipid infusions or endometrial scratch procedure? Has anyone mentioned to you that you may have implantation complications?
Sorry if I've gone overboard a bit with all this info but to have gone through all the thoughts about why I could never get pregnant I've had a lot of time on my hands to do some research on certain aspects of unexplained infertility. I hope this helps in some small way - at least maybe helping to have some further discussions with your doctor about some other avenues you might want to look at or investigate.
kind regards & wishing you all the best,

shutterbug

Oh leaann im so sorry I hadnt realised youd lost the last one too hun , its just awful

Im wishing you lots of luck at the rmc appointment and hope they can offer you something else to get you past tri 1 safely xx

I have actually been told now that they think I have a Septate Uterus which they think is causing all my problems.

I have just found out this morning that I am pregnant again so just need to hope this one works. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back