Possibly A Silly Question

MissyRee

Reaction score
Probably a silly thing to worry about but i was just wondering what kind of size bag im going to need to take to hospital with me? Im planning to stay in for at least 24hours but i dont want to take a big bag if everyone just takes small 1s? I have got a medium size suitcase on wheels but i dont no if its too big to use, i dont want anyone thinking im moving into the hospital or something lol..
What kind of bags did you/ are you going to use? x

I had a fairly big sports holdall. When i took my Auntie in she had a medium sized suitcase on wheels! When you get all your stuff together you'll realise small won't do! Lol

I've got 2 quite big holdalls! One for me and one for Evie xx

I had a big holdall for myself and then filled a changing bag for Jack. That would have been fine for a normal birth, but as I was in longer, OH had to fetch more bits and take away our dirty things! Best to take in the essentials and if you need more you can always ask someone to fetch extra bits x

I had a weekender bag for me and a flight bag for Jaida.

I had a small suitcase, and it was quite a squeeze in the end! I didnt need as many baby wipes as Id brought, a mini pack would be best, rather than a massive one. I recommend more than one nightie though! I ruined mine in labour, so had nowt to wear after! The hospital had towels so was not necessary to pack. Maternity pads were useful. And disposable knickers. You also get a Bounty bag in the hospital, and loads of paperwork stuff, and maybe even flowers or magazines etc, which will add to your load to bring home! So a medium size suitcase sounds great!

I had quite a big hold all but never used half the stuff in it

I have packed a holdall for me and LO's clothes and am also taking the changing bag with the nappies in and other stuff.

My hossie said no suitcases as they had nowhere to store them. Holdall was recommended as it can fold away or squish up.

I had a holdall for me and took the changing bag for Evie's stuff.

I'm guessing you will go to southend hospital- I was planning an overnight stay but because I had an easy delivery I had a 6 hour discharge- fingers crossed you will too x

O depending on how things go you may find yourself discharged after 6 hours which is what a lot of places do if labour was fine and baby is feeding well etc. Only tend to keep you longer if a) you deliver at night or b) there are complications.

Maybe you can request to stay longer but not sure. I'd check and see :)

Every hospital is different so check with them. My midwife said that they LOVE people to bring small suitcases with wheels as they are so much easier to move around (i.e. in my case from ward, to labour ward, to ward). With regards to the 6 hour discharge, at my hospital it was only if you were comfortable going home so quickly/desperate to leave. If you felt you weren't ready to go home then you didn't have to go home though obviously you'd be encouraged to.

I took a suitcase on wheels for me, i think it was the medium one and a changing bag for Calleigh.
My hospital said that any bags would have to unpacked and took away, which was fine for me as OH just took it back out with him and stored it in the car.
I had plenty of storage in a big bedside cabinet on the ward and there was also storage under the cot.

Thanks for all your replies girls :D very helpful and good to know what others have taken/ are taking! :hug:
As for staying i didnt realize they might suggest discharging me after 6hours if everything goes well etc i just kind of thought id get to stay for 24hours, perhaps i could ask my MidWife what the hospital policy is on staying time at the hospital.

Jade - yeah i am planning to have my LO at Southend too i hope i have an easy delivery too :pray: , you'll have to send me some spare easy delivery dust that you might have left over from when you had Evie :D xx

My hospital recommended stopping in at least overnight. And i gave birth at 8am. They let you stay as long as you feel necessary and they tried suggesting 2 nights with me. I just needed the one night to relax and get to grips with breastfeeding etc.
If you don't feel comfortable stopping for the 6 hours then tell them.

LisaJ1986 said:
My hospital recommended stopping in at least overnight. And i gave birth at 8am. They let you stay as long as you feel necessary and they tried suggesting 2 nights with me. I just needed the one night to relax and get to grips with breastfeeding etc.
If you don't feel comfortable stopping for the 6 hours then tell them.

:hug: Thats why i thought id probably want to stay in for a night rather than have a quick discharge, incase i do have any problems with breastfeeding or something then there would be MidWifes to help. x

They won't kick you out if you wish to stay, as they want you to feel confident in yourself and with baby, especially if breastfeeding, and also they will show you how to bather baby if you like etc I personally wouldn't take lots of stuff, only essentials, like has been said, someone can always fetch you a secondary bag in if necessary just have it packed at home ready for that, and don't worry about the size of your bag, they aren't going to kick you out because its too big :wink: there's lots of what to take in with me threads on here so have a read through and only take what you really need, ie baby items, clothes, toiletries, snacks, mobile phone, camera :) :hug: Once baby arrives you'll have everything you need anyways MissyRee, very best wishes :) :hug: :hug: :hug:

I had a small suitcase for me and a large holdall for Luke but to be honest could have put everything into the case as barely used any of it and was in from 11pm weds night til 6pm friday.

ooh missy and jade- not relevant to the post but im having my baby at southend too :D

I was very disorganised when I had Lydia. I went in with about 3 rucksacks and 5 random carrier bags of stuff. I had things everywhere lol.

I sorted myself out when I had Alex though, and took a smallish/medium suitcase with wheels. It was much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back