Labour Bag Questions

happy-chick

Reaction score
Hey guys, just doing my labour bag and have some questions for you's if u dont mind :) Sorry if some of em are obvious ;)

• 1/ Ive bought some super thick sanitary towels, wondered how many I should take to hospital with me? They take up alot of room so dont want to take too many really & someone can always bring more if I run out.

2/ Im struggling to find any front opening nighties that look ok and arent really 'old person' like :lol: I dont wanna spend loads cos prob wont wear em when im home so just need a couple really that are pretty cheap? Ive looked in Asda, Tescos, Matalan.... any other ideas?

3/ Whats sensible to pack for going home clothes, something really comfy I presume? Some comfy tracksuit bottoms or simular?

4/ Should I bother taking a book/mags or leave it?

5/ Im taking a medium sized holdall with babys stuff & my things for after labour like towels and toiletries etc then im also taking a labour bag with stuff in for during labour, will this be ok?

6/ When going home we have a big thick snowsuit for baby, what should she be wearing underneath? How many layers is advised?

Thank youuuuuu!! :D xxx

1/ Ive bought some super thick sanitary towels, wondered how many I should take to hospital with me? They take up alot of room so dont want to take too many really & someone can always bring more if I run out.

I would try and take a whole pack if not then half a pack mayb 8? then get someone to bring some more in with them, Also i would take maternity pads as i had to have stitches i felt the extra padding from the pads helped loads

2/ Im struggling to find any front opening nighties that look ok and arent really 'old person' like I dont wanna spend loads cos prob wont wear em when im home so just need a couple really that are pretty cheap? Ive looked in Asda, Tescos, Matalan.... any other ideas?

Primark?

3/ Whats sensible to pack for going home clothes, something really comfy I presume? Some comfy tracksuit bottoms or simular?

I wore my maternity jogging bottoms and a maternity top home

I would leave the magazine or book and get someone to bring one in after she's born... or if she's like Keeley she wil cry for the first 24hrs that she's born lol

5/ Im taking a medium sized holdall with babys stuff & my things for after labour like towels and toiletries etc then im also taking a labour bag with stuff in for during labour, will this be ok?
I took two bags one for me one for Keeley

6/ When going home we have a big thick snowsuit for baby, what should she be wearing underneath? How many layers is advised?
She mite not need a snowsuit i am yet to meet anyone who has used a snowsuit lol... but if you do use one i would say a bodysuit and a baby grow.

Hope that helps :hug: [/b]

1/ Ive bought some super thick sanitary towels, wondered how many I should take to hospital with me? They take up alot of room so dont want to take too many really & someone can always bring more if I run out.

Sanitary towels are supposed to be painfull after giving birth arent they? Anyway I'd say take 2 packs with you.

2/ Im struggling to find any front opening nighties that look ok and arent really 'old person' like I dont wanna spend loads cos prob wont wear em when im home so just need a couple really that are pretty cheap? Ive looked in Asda, Tescos, Matalan.... any other ideas?

I got mine from Primark

I wore my maternity jeans and a long polo shirt home

Id take one or 2 magazines, if you have to stay in hospital a few extra days like I did then it's good to be able to have something to read. I couldn't really concentrate though so a magazine you can just sortof scan through is good.

I just took the 1 bag with all mine and Nathans things in.

I've never used a snowsuit but maybe a vest?

Good luck x

Hi Jo,

I didn't go to hospital, but in my experience, this is what I would say:-

I would take more than you think you need. I had a good birth (although I had a second degree tear as DD's jaw got a bit stuck) and still its scary how much you bleed. I was changing towels every 2 hours and wearing 2 at a time. I would take 2 packs at least to keep you going in case you are in for a couple of days - although maybe the hospital will supply some if you run out? Maternity pads are good and thick but I also agree with getting sanitary towels - maternity pads were really sore on my wound after a few days.

I saw someone buying a lovely one in Mothercare today and I think it was in the sale! It was blue and spotty - looked lovely. Although I wouldn't worry too much about this - I would take any old t-shirt (as it'll probably get spoiled with blood/milk) and you really won't care about howking up your t-shirt as everyone and their Granny has already seen everything you've got!

I wore maternity clothes mainly for at least 3 weeks after giving birth. Providing you're not planning a section, trakkie bottoms sound great (I think with a section you try to avoid anything that will cut into your wound).

Unless you are induced or go into hospital in very early labour, I would leave this one out. In that case, there will probably be a shop your OH could buy a couple of mags from or a TV in the room (?). Once your baby is born, you will be too tired/too obsessed with your baby/have too many visitors to worry about this.

I'm not sure about this one.

I use snowsuits! I didn't know I was in the minority! I've just started putting DD in hers this week when we are going out in the sling as its so chilly here (Scotland) and she often wears just tights and dresses indoors. Layers wise, its always advised that your baby wears one more layer than you - so if you are in a t-shirt and jumper and jacket, the baby will need vest, t-shirt, jumper/cardie and jacket/snowsuit. You always test a baby's body temperature by sticking two fingers down the front of their vest - it should feel nice and toasty - don't go by their fingers/feet as all the blood is concentrated near the organs, babies often have cold hands and feet but are nice and warm.

I hope all that helps! Good luck!

Valentine Xxx

i didnt go hosp either, but i packed a bag just in case.
heres my answers couldnt help with all of them sorry

1. i would take a whole pack. the bleeding is quite heavy afterwards.

2. i didnt even think of that! lol good job i wasnt in hospital i wouldve been buggered wouldnt i!

3. i packed comfy light clothes. DONT pack jeans or anything that'll be stiff or tight around ur bits. and bear in mind the possibility of emergency section so somethign loose around ur tum.

4. no u wont be interested in books when u got ur baby!

5. i dont think theres any harm in that

6. um i dont kno sorry i had a summer baby i never thought of that!

On top of that I also packed a "back up bag" to leave at home.

In it were more undies, more baby clothes, more nappies etc.

Ideally yes I wanted to be out in a day, but I ended up in for more than that and it was much easier to be able to say to OH, "bring the bag" instead of giving him a list and telling him where to find everything.

Oh I also put loads of cartons of ribena in mine, for before and after labour :D

I got a purple and turquoise spotty nightie in Matalan which was good because it did up the whole of the front. I think only £6.

About the snowsuit - none of ours fit! They are all too big - even the newborn and 0-3 mth one we have so we've just got him wrapped up in a blanket in his pram at the moment.

OMG, your pregnancy has went so fast :shock:

Definitely take quite a few maternity pads as I was wearing 3 at a time...you bleed a LOT!

Cheap front opening nighties can be found in Primark or here:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNIP-Nursing-Brea ... dZViewItem

Take some drinks and snacks for labour (I didnt need mine though as my labour was only a couple of hours :lol: )

My newborn snowsuit still doesnt fit Maddison and she is 10 weeks old :? A vest, sleepsuit and cardigan should be fine with a hat and mitts :hug:

Everyone has pretty much covered everything...things I would make sure I have for next time....

Plenty of change for the phone.
Camera with film in it (if its not digital) and batteries.
Paracetamol. They do give them to you if you ask but I found it easier to take my own rather than ring the bell for them.
Hat for baby. There were loads of woman on my ward that had forgotten.
Lots of pairs of pants.
Lots of drinks.

Lou :)

lou said:
Lots of pairs of pants.

Bigguns!!! Get a pack of cheapy granny pants from Matalan or somewhere rather than disposible ones

Kylie1007 said:
lou said:
Lots of pairs of pants.

Bigguns!!! Get a pack of cheapy granny pants from Matalan or somewhere rather than disposible ones

haha I bought size 14 big knickers from tesco's. I still have them under the bed. Might whip a pair on for OH later :wink:

Who invented them disposable ones? :shock:

the book/magazine - if you get bored easily, or read a lot - take a few

I find it difficult to sleep in hospital and TBH if you're in longer than a few hours - they're boring places to be. It gave me something to do rather than just lying there

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back