Possibly a stupid question.....?

Laur_250

Reaction score
Hi again mums! I've got a question about sleeping clothes................

We are using a baby sleeping bag rather than any covers, etc. I have already bought lots of bodysuits for newborn size but only a few of the sleepsuits. As our baby is due in August it should be quite warm so I think he will be able to sleep in these mostly as his legs will be in the sleeping bag so its only his arms that will be out........

My question is... my MIL has been knitting mad and knitted us loads of little white cardigons before we found out it was a boy (think she expected a girl) so can we just let baby sleep in bodysuit in sleeping bag when newborn and if it does get cold put on a cardigon on hin too???

I hope this isnt a really stupid thing to ask!!!! :oops:

Mothercare do a newborn sleeping bag that they can go in from 6 1/2 lbs - we put Ella in one from birth as she hated being restricted by blankets.

Oh I'll have to check my sleeping bag then it just said 0-6 months??

What about the cardigon idea, once baby can go in sleeping bag would it be ok to wear one with a bodysuit if a bit colder??xx

What midna said :D

Jenna was swaddled from birth until about 15 wks, wearing vest and babygrow underneath (she was born end of Nov). Last night was really warm (her room was 25 degrees!!) so she just had short vest and her 1 TOG grobag, but usually she has a babygrow on and her grobag. Never needed anything else :D

midna said:
laura23yrs said:
Oh I'll have to check my sleeping bag then it just said 0-6 months??

What about the cardigon idea, once baby can go in sleeping bag would it be ok to wear one with a bodysuit if a bit colder??xx

You shouldnt need it tbh ..you be better with a vest under the gro and the cardis for the day

I agree, they are kept quite warm in the sleeping bags, it's suprising!

Jacob is just in a bodysuit in his sleeping bag now but when it was colder we just put a vest on under his bodysuit. I think a cardigan would be too warm tbh.

my baby was born in june and i was very paranoid about her getting too hot so i never gave her blankets or a gro-bag, just a sleepsuit on! our bedroom was always above 24 degrees tho we couldnt get it any cooler.

Connie sleeps in a vest, sleepsuit and sleeping bag - with a blanket over the top too. Against all regulations but our house is SO RUDDY COLD and we keep an eye (or a hand!) on her temperature. She's sleeping 4-5 hours at a stretch so she can't be too uncomfy.

I hope.

This baby thing is so hard!!!

debecca said:
Connie sleeps in a vest, sleepsuit and sleeping bag - with a blanket over the top too. Against all regulations but our house is SO RUDDY COLD and we keep an eye (or a hand!) on her temperature. She's sleeping 4-5 hours at a stretch so she can't be too uncomfy.

I hope.

This baby thing is so hard!!!

I know it is hard! We have a very cold flat too (no central heating!) so we will have to be extra careful in the colder months too so wil also have to improvise on the layers plus use electric heaters as much as poss. We cant sell the flat to move so it will have to do!xx

I never used the grow bags! I think I will this time though! (Im not sure they were around when I had my others? lol)

I was worried about the same thing! Do their arms get cold etc! lol
My children wouldnt sleep without being tightly wrapped! So I guess I wouldnt have used one with them anyways!?

I think if you have a very cold flat, you may want to either use the cardi or a thing blanket aswell? I think you will know yourself! Dont under-estimate yourself! :hug: If the room temp is low, then you will know what too do!!

lea m said:
I never used the grow bags! I think I will this time though! (Im not sure they were around when I had my others? lol)

I was worried about the same thing! Do their arms get cold etc! lol
My children wouldnt sleep without being tightly wrapped! So I guess I wouldnt have used one with them anyways!?

I think if you have a very cold flat, you may want to either use the cardi or a thing blanket aswell? I think you will know yourself! Dont under-estimate yourself! :hug: If the room temp is low, then you will know what too do!!

Thanks Lea, like you say its just a case of going with what you feel I suppose and seeing how it works when it happens. We can always add a blanket or something. I love the growbags they're great! xx

Your welcome! :D :hug:

Yeh they are so cute arent they!? I hope this baba likes them! I'll just get some blankets too and see how we go!!
My first son wouldnt even sleep in his crib lol because the space was to open! For the first week or 2 I had to wheel his pram into the room each night!! haha :rotfl:
He would have hated the growbags! he needed that old fashioned swaddling lol like bandages hahaha(No I didnt do that ;)) hee hee

Ditto pretty much on the advice already given! We had a few lovely little cardigans and i used these a bit like a dressing gown! I put them on baby when she got up in the morning to keep her cosy until i had fed, washed and dressed her! I also did the same in the early days after a bath etc
It was the only way to get any use out of them!

:rotfl: Thats so funny I can imagine you having to wheel the baby in to bed!! Yeah they are so cute Ive got a really sweet blue one with an elephant on so I hope he will like to sleep in it!!

Thanks mummy2be thats exactly what I was hoping to do to put the cardi's to use as we have loads now and its only for when he's indoors!xx

We're currently in a vest, sleepsuit and blanket. However I've not had much success with the sleeping bags at all - Becky tends to like to sleep with her legs up in the air or against her chest! She seemed to get frustrated she couldn't kick her legs as much as she could with the blanket. Anyone else found this? Might try them again when she's a bit older.

I'm really paranoid about temperature too, our house is a pain to heat - Victorian with high ceilings and we have electric storage heating which is hard to use and extortionate. I bought one of those grobag egg thermometers so I'm a wee bit more confident about what to use.

daftscotslass said:
We're currently in a vest, sleepsuit and blanket. However I've not had much success with the sleeping bags at all - Becky tends to like to sleep with her legs up in the air or against her chest! She seemed to get frustrated she couldn't kick her legs as much as she could with the blanket. Anyone else found this? Might try them again when she's a bit older.

I'm really paranoid about temperature too, our house is a pain to heat - Victorian with high ceilings and we have electric storage heating which is hard to use and extortionate. I bought one of those grobag egg thermometers so I'm a wee bit more confident about what to use.

Ooooh whats the grobag egg thermometor and where do you buy them, it sounds useful?!xx

Hi there

I used a sleep pod from day one

Now its warmer i have gone down to the 1 tog instead of 2.5.

In the winter a vest and sleepsuit is needed with the room about 18 degrees.

Now its summer a vest and the 1 tog and he is still warm, its better they are slightly cooler.

a question...

Am I allowed to ask on this thread?

How many sleeping bags do you need? I mean with washing etc. how many on hand?

Daffodil said:
a question...

Am I allowed to ask on this thread?

How many sleeping bags do you need? I mean with washing etc. how many on hand?

I have read somewhere before that its best to have two, im sure thats enough with one in wash so always another spare?? I have bought one so am gonna wait and see if anyone else buys us one as a gift. xx

laura23yrs said:
daftscotslass said:

Ooooh whats the grobag egg thermometor and where do you buy them, it sounds useful?!xx

Sorry I've taken ages to reply!

It's this one - http://www.thatcuteage.com/7-Sleeping/c ... hermometer

It lights up and the colour changes according to whether or not the room is too cold, just right, warm or too warm while showing you the temperature. It's quite useful because the instructions tell you exactly what your LO should be wearing and what tog of sleeping bag to use. You do get a free paper thermometer with the official grobags but I like gadgets! :lol:

daftscotslass said:
laura23yrs said:
daftscotslass said:

Sorry I've taken ages to reply!

It's this one - http://www.thatcuteage.com/7-Sleeping/c ... hermometer

It lights up and the colour changes according to whether or not the room is too cold, just right, warm or too warm while showing you the temperature. It's quite useful because the instructions tell you exactly what your LO should be wearing and what tog of sleeping bag to use. You do get a free paper thermometer with the official grobags but I like gadgets! :lol:

Wow thats really cool and useful im getting one!!xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back