What kind of bag did you take to the hospital?

Kimberly

Reaction score
I've packed a bag for myself and one for the baby. I still have a few bits to get and they are both already overflowing. The towels take up most of the room! I'd really like to take it all out and pack both bags into a small suitcase. I thought I'd read somewhere that you shouldn't take a suitcase because there will not be room at the hospital for it.

I'm having a C-section, so will be there for at least 3 days. Do you think it's ok to take a small suitcase?

i think it wuld b ok.

I took a large sports bag, like a carry all.

:hug:

Yeah. When my Auntie went into hospital she had a suitcase on wheels. I took a great big sports holdall and then the changing bag overflowing for LO.
I made sure i was over-prepared. I took 2 towels, but only used 1. My 1st shower they gave me 1 to use. I took stacks of pads. Again on labour ward i used there's. When you go up to Maternity then i used my own. I took 4 outfits for baby. I knew i was having a girl so i took 2 outfits for a newborn, one in 0-3 just in case she was big (even though i was told she'd be small) and a unisex outfit just in case they'd made a mistake in the scan and ended up with a boy! Lol I took biscuits, drinks, 2 nighties, dressing gown and a huge washbag. Wanted to take my make-up but she was unexpected and didn't have time. I just packed everything i could think of!

My hospital specified no suitcases as lack of storage space and asked people to bring holdalls or canvas bags as these can be folded away or squished into spaces.

I's think a small suitcase would be ok. Maybe do what I do, pile it all up once you've got it all picked out, then whittle it down a bit more. I usually dispense of at least 1/3 of the contents from any bag I pack that way :lol: My hospital bag fitted everything, my stuff and babies. Not that I needed it as had a homebirth but I packed one in case of emergency :) Just a decent sized holdall with large pockets at ends for baby things.

Thanks for the replies. How many sleepsuits and stuff do you think I will need for 3 days. The paper the hospital gave me says to bring 4 vests, w sleepsuits, etc. I'm assuming that's for people that are having a vaginal birth and are likely to go home after a day or so. Since I'll be there for three days will I need 3 times that amount? :? I think I packed 6 of each.

I have another silly question.....do you hang out in your nightie all day or do they expect you to get dressed? I packed 2 pairs of track bottoms and 2 vests for myself. Should I leave these behind and just stay in my nightie?

Maybe I've just packed too much. Thanks for your help.

Why not take less baby stuff and have your OH bring it in the next day and take away the worn/dirty stuff each time, Saves taking masses of baby clothes then. So go with 4 outfits and then have more on standby at home :) Samw with nappies etc. Take enough to start off for a day then bring more in as and when.

Same with your clothes. Take one outfit but wear it in and again have OH bring in another the next day if you want/need it. TBH you nay prefer being in a nightie and not worrying about getting dressed. I spent the first few days after having my LO just in my nightie and dressing gown. Spent so much time in bed feeding and cuddling it seemed pointless (I was at home though so you may feel different in hospital)

Leave what you might want him to bring in in piles so he can easily find it and it should be fine. Quick text to tell him what you want when he comes to visit and all should be sorted :)

I packed 2 nighties and just a going home outfit. I had no energy to get dressed in the day. I stopped in just 1 night but was in 2 full days. I couldn't cuddle Angel til i went home as she had problems maintaining temperature so had to buzz MW whenever i wanted to feed her. So spent my time just lounging in bed reading mags.

I was in 3 days with my first and I didnt get dressed until I was going home! I stayed in my nighties and dressing gown! It was great!! :D haha
I took one holdall that did hold all lol! Mine and babies! I cant remember exactly what I did take sorry! (it was nearly 9 years ago now) but I didnt run out of anything etc! If I do remember right, they gave me a little gown for him that they wanted him to wear for anyways? Im sure i didnt even get him dressed in other clothes until we were going home? :? (I could be wrong)

I packed a small suitcase with wheels for me and a small bag for baby.
In the hospital letter i got it said to have a family member to take away any bags/suitcases.
So OH took the suitcase away and just chucked it in the back of the car till i needed it to go home.

I was in for over a week in all as was in for 4 nights before birth (C-section) then 4 after.

I only took a canvas bag and as my parents visited everyday, they took home my washing & brought back anything I needed.

For me personally - I did get dressed in the daytime, just into jogging bottoms and T-shirt, cos it was nice to go get a bit of fresh air off ward for 10mins a day.

I took way too much stuff last time! Hardly used any of it. This time i will be packing the bare essentials and getting DH to bring bits and pieces if needed (and taking washing home).
I would advise leaving it out 'ready' though. When DH came to collect us from the hospital last time i asked him to bring me in some jogging bottoms and a long t-shirt! He bought a skirt and top - i wanted to cry! Silly i know but at that point i couldn't help it! Also earlier this year DD was in hospital for a few days unexpectedly so asked him to bring me in a bag of stuff. Bless him - he bought in two nursing bras (had not been breastfeeding for 3 months) two pairs of maternity trousers (DD was nearly seven months old!) and the skimpiest nightie i have (because i wear it at home!! :roll: Plus the entire contens of my cosmetics drawer literally emptied out into the bag! Gotta love him!

Yes - definitely leave it out ready!!

Im having a C-section next week and this is what I have:
2 sleepsuits and 2 vests for Baby, and Going home outfit.
1 long black nightie for me (was warned about needing a dark colour for the first 24 hours, and Nightie, not PJ's)
1 PJ set.
5 pairs of knickers (again was warned after C-section 1 pair a day is not enough! :shock:)
1 dark towel
Lots of snacks for after delivery, being starved for 12+ hours, I'll be VERY hungry and dont expect to get much from the Hospital for food.

Clothes for me: I'll wear clean clothes the morning I go in (trousers with adjustable waist because you dont come out the same size you go in! :lol: )
and i have packed a clean top.

I've left a pile of "spare" clothes and underwear and nightwear for me and the baby in my bedroom so DH can bring them in when he visits.

My other 2 Births were normal deliveries and I over packed everything, I was in for 2 days both times and barely used anything, so ive been minimal this time!

:D I like this idea of packing 1-2 days worth then getting peter or my dad to bring things in as and when I need it obviously lay the things out ready rather than rely on one them two to chose for me :shock:

Thanks! I think its a good idea to pack less and have DH bring stuff when I need it.

Mummy2be - That is so funny about your dh....I'll definitely have to have the stuff ready because I'm sure my dh would do the same thing.

I thought id be in and out but ended up staying in the hospital for 3 days. TMI sorry but coz i was bleeding quiet heavy i needed my MIL to bring me new pants :oops: and clean jammies. Kyran was 7lbs2oz born but none of the newborn clothes i brought with me fitted him! so i wish id brought some tinybaby cheapy vests from asda (i used them when i got home until he was about 2 weeks) I also didnt prepare for him being a sicky baby so he went through alot of clothes, needed more really! I would of swapped the amount of nappies and pads i brought with me for clothes for LO as they provided nappies and pads in the hospital.

My motto is bring everything you can never be too prepared!! i dont understand why they wouldnt let a suitcase, it would fit under the bed?? praps you could ring and check they allow them? if theres a next time for me im bringing a trailer to carry everything :roll:

i didnt need to go hospital but i packed a large sports-type-holdall-baby-bag just in case. it still gets used now, take it to my parents every monday when baby stays with them for 2 days x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back