plz help

christmasbabygirl

Reaction score
did/does anyones baby bring up there feeds? (formula)
Amelia is 9 days old and has bringing up alot of her feeds, usually the whole bottle.
its so worrying im so scared and dont know what to do its getting me down :cry:
if your baby did this then how long untill it stopped?
im feeding her a tiny bit at a time and winding her lots and it seems to help but not always do u have any other advice?????? x

when she brings them up is it a forceful vomit?

is it straight after the feed? how long after?

is it after every feed?

the reason im asking so many questions is that we had this with summer, i was terrified and like you it got me down, we got nowhere asking the midwife and docs so i researched myself and it turned out summer had reflux. we then took summer back to the docs and asked if it could be reflux (as if we had to ask? they should have known!) anyway he said yes and gave us gaviscon, weve never looked back, its just a sachet of powder that goes into the feeds

google reflux and have a read hun, im not saying it is that but it could be

I didn't have too much of a problem with this but sometimes babies can have reflux which can cause them to vomit a lot. If it is reflux your baby would probably be in a bit of pain as it is acid coming up from the stomach (I think- sorry if I'm totally wrong- someone will correct me if I am!) so she would probably be crying a fair amount (more than you would expect). Does she seem uncomfortable?

If she seems oK in herself I wouldn't worry at all- babies are very good and sending their food in both directions and it always looks far more than it actually is. She may just be getting over-full or getting trapped wind as you already suspect. I would keep doing what you are doing- if she's not getting enough milk, she will be the first to tell you. You sound like you are doing a great job- it is so daunting initially but trust your instincts- they are usually the best guide as to whether your baby is OK or not. :hug:

I was mix feeding ( formula and breast ) when my LO was in hospital I didn't have much milk so we had to give him formula and he used to bring it up (not all of it though) when we got back home I started on a different type of formula (lighter) and he did tolerate it well.. so the problem with my LO was that the formula they gave him was too heavy for him...
this might be a cause but tbh I might think it's reflux as well... I've been told that if the vomit is milk only baby is fine! if it was greenish or with blood then that is a cause of alarm!

speak to ur MW coz in all ways it isn't good that he brings up all the milk as she might get deyhdrated... hope all is well :hug:

Amber bought up quite a lot of her feeds in the first couple of weeks but after that it seemed to settle down.
If she is bringing up the whole lot though speak to your M/W or HV and maybe give her some cooled boiled water to keep her hydrated. Keep doing what your doing hun, your doing a fab job :hug:

Have a word with your middy, maybe bubs could be lactose intolerent or something?? What milk do you use?? Maybe try switching to the comfort type of that milk maybe it will help :hug:

Thanks for all the kind words ladies you really cheered me up last night when i read the replies! She has kept all her bottles down today and she kept her 2 am one down too. i rung the midwife last night as i was sick with worry and she said to wait till my 10 day appointment (which was today) and the midwife said shes a lovely colour and weeing and pooing ok so nothing to worry about they said she prob just too greedy so over filling herself so what she is bringing up her body doesnt really need anyway if you know what i mean? well her birth weight was 8.2 and then on day 5 she was 7.12 and a half and midwife said that loss is perfect. well today she was 8.3 and a half so im so happy i cried when midwife told me! it means that she is feeding ok thank god and i can stop worrying. thanks again ladies your all stars xxx

BeckyJ said:
when she brings them up is it a forceful vomit?

is it straight after the feed? how long after?

is it after every feed?

the reason im asking so many questions is that we had this with summer, i was terrified and like you it got me down, we got nowhere asking the midwife and docs so i researched myself and it turned out summer had reflux. we then took summer back to the docs and asked if it could be reflux (as if we had to ask? they should have known!) anyway he said yes and gave us gaviscon, weve never looked back, its just a sachet of powder that goes into the feeds

google reflux and have a read hun, im not saying it is that but it could be

My 22month old brother also had reflux however his was rather severe.. he wouldnt keep any bottles down what so ever and after a while started losing weight rapidly.. we too went to the docs and like beckyJ we had to suggest reflux.. he was referred to the hospital and was given gaviscon for his feeds and also 2 types of medicine to be taken 3 times a day.. ranitidine (sp?) and motillium domperidome (sp?) but as i say he was very severe.

we were given lots of tips to try and ease his discomfort (reflux is like adult heartburn in a child)...
* try tilting the moses basket sligtly and the top end so LO is not entirely flat (this stops so much reflux acid gettin near lungs)
* try keep LO as upright as possible as much as possible such as a bouncy chair ( the are a few that cater for newborn age)
*also.. there is a milk formula called cow and gate stay down this states that its made especially for babies that bring up feeds such as reflux babies.. however it can be used for just sicky babba's..

id go to your doctor hunni and see what he/she says.. if they dont pull a decent reason out of the bag, suggest reflux and see what they say...

our doc is poo :rotfl: so he only really started taking notice and taking us serious when he lost weight..... but your doc might be better.

hope this helps.. if not :hug: :hug: xxxxx

*edit* just noticed your post sorry... glad shes ok :hug:

I'm glad everything is okay! Jacob has reflux so I know how worrying it can be, but don't forget that when they are sick, it isn't only milk that comes up (there will be saliva, stomach acids, anything else), so it looks like a lot more milk than it is. Also, if it is just normal looking milk it is definitely just excess because it hasn't even made it to the stomach. You will know it is from the tummy if it is curdled and smelly. Yuck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back