Please Read - OBSTETRIC CHOLESTASIS

I've developed itching on my hands and feet in the last few days. There was no rash until I started to scratch then I came up with a hives type rash so not sure if this could cholestasis as it's generally without a rash. Midwife took a blood sample today and said she will ring me over the weekend when results come in. Eek!

For the past few nights my feet have been itchy at night time..didn't really think much of it until today its in the day time too, with abit of scalp itching an arm itching thrown in? I'm pretty sure that's in because im now thinking of itching but will keep an eye on it now ive stumbled across this post! Thanks ladies x

Yup, mine is generally more at night, too. However, yesterday feet were itchy ALL day. It drove me crazy. Could just be a weird hormonal eczema type thing but I'm glad I've mentioned to midwife as better to be safe than sorry.

:)

I've been incredibly itchy scratching myself raw but mainly on legs and body but am only 15 weeks, more likely to be something else right? xo

Could just be your skin stretching as it does cause itching but if you're concerned it's worth being seen x

Is it best to wait a little before getting tested? Websites say it can take a few weeks to show a positive test, I'm worried I was missed in my last pregnancy as I had intensely itchy shoulders that kept me up all night and as they tested me as soon as I got it I'm worried it just didn't show straight away. Needed to be induced in the end as I had Oligohydramnios I don't know if it was related at all but it's a constant concern of mine.. With my last one it was purely in the shoulders but this one it's on my arms too and starting to get a burning tingling itch on my fingers..

Did you get tested in the end Jayceesmumma?

Although I wasn't diagnosed with oc, I did/do have itching caused by the same thing (excess bile acids) and the itching wasn't confined to the hands & feet - in fact my arms and legs were pretty bad, but also had it on my bum, stomach and boobs (pretty much everywhere in fact) and it started there before it got to my hands and feet. The burning tingling itch is how I experienced it too

I wouldn't wait to get tested, they can do the liver function test at your GP's and can always repeat it later on if the results show only mildly elevated levels.

My experience of the urso is that it has a cumulative effect (i.e. it doesn't get rid of the itching completely straight away), so the sooner you get the medication, the sooner you can be relieved of the itching and if you don't have it then you can start looking at other causes for the itching (washing powder etc)

Yes I got tested three weeks ago and having tests every week along with ctg monitoring.. Bile acids started at <2 then last week was 2.. Had my third one today so hoping to get results in a few days..
I was just so worried id be tested once and then fobbed off like last time.. So glad I'm getting seen every week now.. The itch is horrific :(
Have you had your results?

I hear you with the itching! I've been up since 2am scratching :-(

I'm glad they're testing you regularly and taking it seriously, the first GP I saw didn't fob me off exactly but was very patronising

I hope your next results come back as well as they can be. Mine was 79 on Friday, but that's after a good few days on the urso (stupidly I took a 3 day break from it as I had run out - I was really hoping the itching wouldn't return indicating I was 'better')

I mentioned on the Jan thread, but I've been diagnosed since with OC as well as the initial problem I had, so am now looking at an early induction

79 blimey!!
I've got cuts all over my arms and back due to scratching :(
Have they given you an induction date yet? Hope the urso starts working more for you.. I hope my levels don't reach 10+ as I don't want to be induced but that means I won't get the urso.. But I think I'd prefer to not have to be induced!

I didn't know that was the cut off point, shame you can't have both the natural labour and the urso!

You might be alright as you're quite far along - have you had the latest one back yet?

I'll have my fingers crossed for you it doesn't go over 10 x Have to admit it took the wind out of my sails a bit knowing I'm definitely being induced but it's the means to a very lovely end. I do hope I can still have a vaginal birth but again as long as the baby arrives safely then it's all good :) x

Have they given you anything for the itching at all? I was told piriton can help and I'm not sure if it makes much difference but I'm taking it anyway lol

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll still be able to have a normal delivery honey just they'll make it start sooner...
Not had the latest back yet so I'm assuming it's still in normal range which is good :) they gave me piriton and calamine lotion, she said that the piriton won't do anything for the itch but it will make me drowsy to sleep better, so I've not bothered with that as lily still gets up in the night sometimes.. I've known people to have been diagnosed and induced the same day as they've been 36+weeks :/

Thanks JCM, hopefully it will all go fine

That's good news if you haven't heard anything - always reassuring when you don't get a phonecall ;-)

Wow, induced the same day! I imagine that being quite a surprise eek

Yeah defo happy to not have a call!
Yeah I can imagine it's a shock when ur still 4 weeks off dd and it's ur first testing! It was a shock for me to have to be induced the same day I went to be checked for fluid levels when I was 4 days off my dd with lily!

Hows your bloods doing Jayceesmumma? Are they still below 10?

Mine was 120 last week, itching seems worse between 2am and 5am so I'm doing alot of daytime sleeping - lucky for me I don't have any timetable to keep to else I'd be going insane :)

Blimey that's high!! Yeah mine is still under ten thankfully! Don't want to be induced! Have they given you a date?
Thankfully my itching has eased off but in no way stopped completely! Mine is worse in that time too it's strange! I'm struggling to get comfy too with heartburn, spd and just my organs being squashed lol so I barely sleep at night at all.. And when I do I get woken by snoring or an elbow in the face.. Or one of the kids getting up lol

That's good, and you've only a few weeks to go to so hopefully you'll miss the need to be induced :) spd too though, that can't be nice, hope you're managing to find some time to rest

No induction date yet, they're reassessing at 36wks, but I've been told to keep a close eye on movement. Really pleased as I had the horrible feeling they were going to induce earlier than 36wks. Wish I had a better idea of when they're going to do it, but never mind, that's just the way with these babies I guess :)

36+3 at the mo so if my levels go up just once I'll be induced that day lol!
36 will be the earliest you're induced due to OC unless there's another problem.. Defo keep an eye on movements, even just a change in pattern or slowing down a little is enough to warrant monitoring x

Has anyone experienced this on their neck, chest and back?
I've had ezcema on the back of my right hand since around 9 weeks. It's flared up then gone away, then come back, then gone away again. It's now back but taking up the complete back of my right hand. The past week I've developed really sevre itching on my chest, neck and back- no rash, I'm scratched to death as I've been itching and I've got pointy acrylic nails on so I've got long scratch marks.
I haven't changed anything- shower gel, bubble bath, laundry stuff all the same. It's not heat related I don't think.
I've got a midwife appt on the 5th- not sure whether to wait or to ring her tomorrow? Xxx

Hi all! I just wanted let anyone reading to know that it's not always as terrible each time. I have 3 children, and developed obstetric cholestasis with my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies at around 32 weeks gestation. The first time, the itching was horrendous and I was induced at 37 weeks which ended up in a catastrophic crash c-section delivery. When I got it the 2nd time around in my 3rd pregnancy, I was introduced to something called Ursodeoxycholic acid, and this medication helped lower my LFT's and bile acides somewhat. However, at 38 weeks they skyrocketed again yet I still refused an induction and went on to deliver at 40.5 weeks after starting labor naturally (even though I ended up with another cesarean - thankfully this time I was awake).

I am now on my 4th pregnancy with dc/da twins and 35 weeks. Started itching at week 19 and blood tests revealed that my LFT's were elevated although my bile acids weren't. I'm assuming I started OC early due to carrying twins. At first they were relunctant to give me Ursodeoxycholic Acid because my bile acids were not that raised but the itching was unbearable and I told them that the only thing that helped last time I had the condition, was urso. Well, one of the consultants agreed to prescribe it and not only have I NOT had any itching since then but my LFT's have been normal throughout my pregnancy so I'm allowed to go full term (which is 38 weeks for a twin pregnancy). Odd, huh? The fact that in 2 of my single pregnancies I suffered a lot with it and with twins it's been kept at bay when you'd expect the opposite.

I also didn't get this condition in my first pregnancy. It's strange how randomly it behaves and how unpredictable it is.

I've also read in one medical literature that they don't think that the itching is soley caused by raised bile acids. You can have lowered bile acids and still itch like crazy.

Good luck to all you ladies and hopefully someday we'll understand more about this condition than what's available to us now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back