Please help...

badgergirl

Reaction score
before I go insane :cry:

I'm having the worst time with Sprog, and it's not only causing problems for my mental health, but it's coming between my partner and me.

For the past 5 days, with the exception of a few half hours here and there, all Sprog has done is cry. He's up every hour in the night screaming, he's not feeding any more than normal, no temperature, nothing. Just screaming. I can't see any teeth coming (but that's not to say that's not the problem), but I just can't cope anymore.

My HV reckons I'm too soft on him, and I should be leaving him to cry it out. I've tried once, and he was still screaming after 2 hours - I sat in the room with him and shushed him the entire time, but...nothing. Just screaming.

No toys distract him. He's not ill. He's just screaming.

The dummy doesn't work.

His jumperoo and gym don't work. And now my OH and I are screaming at each other, which also doesn't help matters.

Evie has been the same the past couple of days- the only thing that can soothe her is a cuddle from ME.

She had a stage of this about 2 months ago too and after a week she went back to 'normal' so I'm hoping she's just feeling a bit off weather and will settle down again :pray: TBH she was more unsettled when me and her dad were arguing- your LO is now probably picking up on your vibes. Try to keep as calm as you can.

I do leave Evie for 5 minutes in her cot every now and then- I have to because otherwise I'd go mental!

In the mean time- paracetemol and hugs! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug: Thanks - I'm glad I'm not alone (though that sounds like I'm wishing it on other people!)

I gave him some calpol half an hour ago or so, and it actually seems to have stopped him crying (ssh), though if we play with him too much it sets him off again, and he's still a tad whingy. And now he's stopped sobbing, so have I...

I'm praying it's teeth - at least there'll eventually be an end in sight.

Ah hun it's tough isn't it. I am lucky Imogen is not a baby who cries a lot and never has been ...there has always been a pretty obvious reason for her crying so we've been able to pacify her. But.... I used to work in a nursery where one Little baby boy cried pretty much all the time. he was about 4 months old and we used to do shifts of half hour to try and pacify him. It was sooooo tough. His mum told us she'd had him checked out but nothing was wrong. Maybe it was colic? It was along time ago I don't remember. Anyway I was going to suggest that if you could get someone to relieve you for an hour so you get a break that may help?? just to switch off.... do you have any family/friends around you who could take him out for a walk every few days to give you a rest?

I really feel for you. It must be exhausting both physically and emotionally. hugs for you. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: oh have you tried Baby Einstein DVDs .... they help to keep Imogen calm when she is a bit tired during the day (but won't sleep). It chills her. just for 20-30 mins.
x x

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Can you get the Dr to cast an eye? If the Calpol has helped, maybe it's pain? Have you used any teething gel and maybe teething toys for him to chomp on, incase it is teething?

Is he getting hungrier? Are you weaning him?

:think: could be teeth if the calpol is working. Has he got red cheeks or a sore bum as well? :think:

Does he settle if you cuddle him? If he does you should try a wrap or sling because it means you can potter around while he's having a cuddle (bah, to your HV saying you are too soft on him :shakehead: )

:hug: :hug: to you, hope it settles soon

Thanks everyone :hug:

Cuddles weren't working yesterday. I'd given him some Ashton powders, which allowed him a 30 minute nap, but he was as bad when he woke up again. Later we gave Calpol, and that did work. His gums are harder than ever, he's really chomping, and his cheeks are slightly reddened, so I'm thinking teething.

However (touching wood furiously here!) we gave him a bottle of Cow and Gate Hungrier baby last night - he's breastfed throughout the day, and gets a bottle of Cow and Gate on a night anyway, and he slept til 5am - real progress. So some of it's probably readying himself for weaning too.

I really want to go down the BLW route - I've tried a few times with food and, though he's really interested, he hates me feeding him - he'll have a couple of spoonfuls and then screams - I think because it's not going in as quickly as his milk. He's not got the dexterity to feed himself with a spoon, so I think finger foods will be best for us when the time comes.

Not really got much in the way of available friends and relatives, which makes it so hard for me. OH works 9-6, family and friends work full time too, and most of the mums I've met are already in a clique, and it's like being back at school again. However, this week I have plans for EVERY DAY (hurrah!) so I'm feeling slightly perkier.

Thanks girls, you're all stars!

oh, sweetheart- this is just a phase! in my experience that phase lasted 4 months i hope yours doesnt last that long! we had the same, my boyf said i was too soft and he wanted to do controlled crying etc it was SO distressing for me and we argued lots he said i was spoiling her etc.

my daughter started this malarkey at 4 months old- if u read on the internet several sites wil tell u this is the age where they become aware that they can make things happen by crying!

she completely stopped this at 8 months old- at this time her first tooth finally cut, i stopped breastfeeding and she moved out of our bedroom into her nursery. i dont kno if any of those things, all those things or just co-incidence was why!

good luck, i kno its hard :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back