Please help....

First Baby White

Reaction score
This is my first baby and keep going to buy things and coming out the shop empty handed as I am unsure what I actually need:?

I know the basics like baby bath, nursery furniture, pram etc but what other stuff do you need as in clothers, wipes etc etc etc!!!

Could someone who has done this before write me a list of what I need and how many of each or those who are fairly organised and bought most of the stuff as this would really help!!!

Didnt realise how confusing this can all be.....

So far I have bought:

Cotbed and Matress
Moses Basket and stand
Travel System with Car Seat (plus rain cover and matress for carry cot)
Car Seat base
Baby Bath
Bath thermometer
Soft baby sponges
Top and Tail Bowl
Changing/Bath box with all the lotions and potions
Changing Mat (plus disposable mats for changing bag
Changing Bag
Johnsons baby wipes x 4 (were on offer at Sainsburys)
Safety cotton buds (prob won't need but i can use them for makeup lol!)
Cotton Wool balls
Nipple cream
Maternity Pads x 2 packs
Breast Pads x 1 pack to see if i like them
Nappies - Pampers newborn size 1 & 2 x 2 packs of each
Baby towels with hoods (cuddle robes?) x 2
Breast Pump
Steriliser
Bottles (Tommee Tippee x 4, haven't got formula as planning to BF)
Dummies x 2 (not sure if will use but may come in handy) plus case
Muslin squares x 6

Body suits short sleeved pack of 6 x 2 from M&S (one is newborn size one is 0-3months)
Sleepsuits x 6 in newborn and 3 in 0-3months incase he is big!
Velour Pram suit
Light jacket for warmer days (baby due in June)
2 x outfits (t-shirts and trousers)
Booties 3 pack
Socks 3 pack
Bibs 5 pack
Cotton hats x 3
(I'm waiting to see what size he is before getting heaps of clothes as sis-in-law had 10lb baby!!!)

Pram Blanket x 2 (one knitted by Mum!)
Pram Fitted sheets x 2
Pram Flat sheets x 2
Foot muff (came with pram)
Cellular Blankets x 2
Fleece Blankets x2
Fitted Sheets x 4
Flat Sheets x 4
Bumper x 1
Mobile
Coverlet (part of bedding set)
Cot bed quilt (again part of set for when he is older)
Swaddling blanket x 1 to see if he likes it
Room thermometer

Still to get:
Baby monitor
Nappy sacks
Baby first aid kit
Baby nail clippers/scissors/brush

I know I have bought heaps but I like to be prepared!!!! If you see anything I have forgotten let me know!!! Hope that helps x

I rally reccomend How to Have a baby on Ebay by Wiz Wharton. It lists all the thngs you need before, during and after the birth and what you may want to buy as optional items.

She then gives a breakdown of the pros ad cons of each type, stickists and approximate prices of each stockist.

I have found it invaluable (and second hand on amazon was quite cheap.

Sandi

I know I have bought heaps but I like to be prepared!!!! If you see anything I have forgotten let me know!!! Hope that helps x

scrath mitts
sun hat

Sandi

I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to baby stuff.

People have covered the basics and then some already here :lol: Consider what sort of approach you would like to have to things for baby. Do you want *everything* or would you rather cover the basics and then add as you find you need/want as LO grows.

With regards to clothes in the first few months, 15 odd years of nannying for children has taught me that things like sleepsuits and vests are your best bet in the early months. Much easier to manage changing LO and more comfy also than trying to put on trousers, skirts, tops and so on. So stock up on about 8 sleepsuits and same in vests and save your pennies for outfits once they are past those early months. I tend to go less on newborn size and get more in in 0-3 months in sleepsuits etc. You may have a long baby, or one that gains weight quickly and newborn stuff is soon grown out of.

It's recommended if your plan to BF to not use a dummy in the early weeks as it teaches the baby to suck incorrectly and when on your nipple they might not suck as they need to then. Also its suggested to BF exclusively (not even breast milk in a bottle for baby apparently) till at least 6 weeks. But having a few bottles etc would be good from the off, in case you want to store a bit of milk and give in a cup. I'm not bothering with a breast pump as hope to be able to express my own milk manually once I get the hang of it. Meant to be quicker and less painful also I am told. Also I can't be doing with spending money on such a thing when I can do it myself :lol: :roll:

I also suggest a nasal aspirator. Not expensive and great if LO is ever bunged up. I found them really useful with quite a number of small babies.

Muslin squares - you can never have too many IMO. I wear one on my shoulder constantly when caring for a LO and get through a few a day. Its that or start wearing oatmeal coloured tops :roll:

I don't go much for smellies in the early months. No shampoo or baby soap. Just water. Same with wipes, I prefer cotton wool.

Sleeping bag for babies are great. I prefer these over blankets. Have a look online for pricing and suitability.

Compared to some peoples lists, mine is about half the length. But I kind of know what I want/need for a baby as I've cared for so many over the years and feel happy with what will work for me. It might not suit someone else.

I tend to try to remember that whatever I buy will be sat somewhere in the house causing clutter. And in those early months for me its making things easier for myself. So long as I have the basics I can go out and get anything else as I find I need or want it.

Mothercare have checklists also. Have a look and cover the basics and then consider the extras you may like. But have a look at your house, your lifestyle and how you do things and see if you can picture it working for you. Go have a look at them in store and tinker :)

Babies need little more than this to be honest :lol:

Nappies
Car seat
Buggy
Moses Basket (useful for through the day even if co-sleeping at night)
Thermometer
Baby monitor & sensor mat for under mattress (this has been such a peace of mind for me, still use it daily)
At least 5 bottles and teats (even if BF'ing they may be useful later on when expressing or if you move to formula..)
A steriliser & sterilising tablets/liquid
LOADS of cotton wool BALLS (unless you use wet wipes)
Hand anti-bac gel
Muslin squares
bibs
LOADS of vests & babygro's - outfits are a bit much until after 3months in my opinion
Hats (Didn't bother with scratch mits, socks stay on hands better :lol: )
Snowsuit (for going out in)
Grobag
5 blankets, 2 of which are cellular (them with holes in hehe)
Metanium (for any bum soreness, though this didn't happen with Isaac until he began teething)
Possibly Gripe Water, Infacol, never used them myself so can't comment.

Can't think of much I'd add to those lists - vests, vests are brilliant for newborns and seem to secure the nappies better under the sleepsuits too; also

Sudocrem (fantastic for sore bottoms)
baby massage oil (I got Holland and Barrett Grapeseed, massage base) coz young babies love to be massaged after a bath.
They also like mobiles and dangly car seat things to look at when they're a tiny bit older.
Bouncers are brilliant for when they can hold their heads up but you don't need one straight away.

My babies never kept scratch mittens on!!!

I used only sheets and blankets with the first but bought a baby sleeping bag for the 2nd (she was born in December though) and found that to be excellent. I'd recommend them for the colder months!

Room thermometer and baby digital thermometer (for when you are fussing about temperature!!!)

Nipple shields (I am definitely going to have some ready this time for if I get sore!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back