Please help, I am a mess!!

Dippy

Reaction score
I opened a letter from the hospital this morning which said that I have to go back on Tuesday as my downs blood test has come back as an 'increased risk'. As well as being beside myself with worry and panic (I haven't stopped crying all morning) I have no idea what will happen when we go back for the consultation. I phoned the hospital, but of course they are only open Monday to Friday. Please help, I feel like this weekend is going to last about a month!!

Dippy, I am so sorry to hear that. I do know that high risk is a 1 out of 250 chance which in reality is still very small. They will probably offer you further tests. I think this has happened to forum users before and everything turned out fine.

I know you won't stop worrying but try and have a relaxing weekend and ring first thing Monday.

Big Hug, Katt xx

Hiya Dippy

I'm sorry to read your bloods have come back high risk (Im assuming for downs?) - Do you actually know what your results were?

It's important to remember at this point that around 5% of normal pregnancies will have test results that are considered "abnormal", even when the baby is actually healthy. So basically your results coming back high does not mean that your baby definitely has downs. For this reason it is important not to make any decisions about your pregnancy based only on the AFP blood test. A positive AFP screening result only indicates that the pregnancy is at higher risk than originally believed and that additional, more definitive testing such as amniocentesis should be considered. Im assuming that at your appointment Tuesday you will be offered further testing.
-I am sure everything will be fine!

Lotsa
goodluck1.gif
for Tuesday - Let us know how you get on.

If its any help, a guy at work got that result when his wife got the test and everything was fine.

my mum had all this 18 yrs ago with me and was told i had downs and to abort me! 18 yrs later im here no downs and as annoying as ever!! times have moved on since then tho!
im sure everything will be ok

Sorry to hear this Dippy......

I had a high risk for Spina Bifida on my AFP tests......the hospital rang me though as they said the results were quite high and had me in for a scan the next day. Everything was fine though, I just have to have extra growth scans now.

I'm sure if they thought it was really serious they they would have phoned you and/or had you in a.s.a.p.

Try not to worry, although I know how you feel, me and OH were absolutely mortified when we found out.

When we went to the hospital they said that lots of test results come back high for no good reason.

I'm sure you will be fine, try not to panic.

Lots of Love and Hugs

Sam xxx

i'm so to hear this dippy... you must be worried sick! as others have already said a high risk is 1 in 250 which doesnt seem so high when you say the actual figures...

I have a friend who got a low result for the downs test but then something was detected at her scan... and she had further tests... and another scan! they then told her she had a 1 in 3 chance that the baby would have downs and offered her another test but she decided not to take it as it could do more harm than good.. as you can imagine she was worried sick! a few weeks later after another scan.. they then told her nothing at all was wrong! she gave birth the other day to a healthy, happy baby....

I'm sure every thing will be okay when you go on tuesday. Good luck - thinking about you! Big hug x x x

Oh hun im angry for you! A midwife should have called you with that result and explained things to you! I cant believe they just sent you a letter thats so wrong!

Most of the tests that come back high risk later turn out to be totally normal hun.

Oh dippy how worried you must be.. as the others have said the figures really don't portray the reality.. increased risk does not necessarily mean high risk so please don't worry too much.

Hopefully they will offer you the NT scan where they can measure the Nuchal fluid around the baby's neck. this will give another result which may conflict with any blood tests and they will re-evaluate your "risk" result.

What did the hospital say when you called this morning???

take care and let us know xxx

did you get to speak to a MW today dippy? good luck for tomorrow. I'm sure they are making you worry over nothing.. They have to make us aware of everything - even if it is 1 in 250... but i know your mind wont be at rest until you find out for sure! these hospitals make me so mad... they foget they are dealing with peoples lives and emotions.. to them its just their job... good luck - but i'm sure everything will be okay.

x

I missed this yesterday, sorry Dippy.

I just wanted to say Good Luck at the hospital today. As the others have said, I'm sure everythings going to be fine, but I know it won't stop you worrying.

Big (((HUGS))))

Thankyou all so much for your kind wishes, it means a lot. Sorry I haven't been on for an update but it's been a pretty long and upsetting few days. I called the hospital yesterday and demanded that an appointment be made for me that day as I could not wait another day not knowing what I was dealing with, I think due to the fact that I was so hysterical they told me to come along yesterday morning. The midwife was lovely, she explained as you all rightly know that the callbacks are only sent for if the risk is less that 1 in 250 and mine is 1 in 243. She said she speaks to people every day who are a 1 in 2 chance and that is good enough for them. After thinking long and hard about it, we have decided to go ahead and have further testing, the odds are in our favour I know, but I would not be able to stop worrying until I know for sure that everything is ok - an amniocentesis is the only test that is 99.9% accurate. I go in for the procedure on Thursday afternoon at 2. Absolutely terrified still as there are minimal risks of miscarriage, some people may think the risk is too great, perhaps you would do differently yourselves, please keep everything crossed for me. The initial results will be known within 4 working days.

Hi Dippy, I'm glad you called up and got them to see you yesterday.
Did they not give you another scan yesterday?

I would go for the amniocentesis too. I'm like you and wouldn't be able to settle not knowing. The risks of miscarriage is tiny as you say, so try not to worry too much about this.

I hope all goes well on Thursday, I hope you'll be able to come on later on and tell us how it went. I'll be thinking of you with everything crossed.

Big Hugs

Sam xxx

Hi Dippy,

That 1 in 243 is a great result.. my friend has a 1 in 5 and she still had a very healthy baby so please don't fret too much.

As for the amnio I think you have to do what you feel is necessary for you and your OH to feel reassured, the risks of m/c are minimal and the result is so accurate!

Good luck Thursday, please try to rest and relax until then.. I am sure you will be on here to tell us that all was fine and LO is absolutely perfect!!

xx

Hi Dippy,

Sorry to hear your both going through this. I would be worried sick too and totally in shock especially finding out by a bloody letter!!! :evil:

Good to hear you got an appointment for further discussion, in person. Good luck with the testing have everything crossed for you both hun.

Take care
Bev x x

Hi Dippy

Sorry to hear that you are having to deal with this at the mo.

I had amnio when I was pregnant 10 years ago, I didnt miscarry. I had my results within 24 hours though.

Did you have a nuchal scan?

hope all is ok dippy. im thinking of you

Dippy just o let you know we are all thinking off you xxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111