placenta praevia and bleeding :(

becky85

Reaction score
I’m currently 18 weeks pregnant. Until a few days ago I was having a straightforward second pregnancy but on Friday (17+3) I woke up to a small amount of bleeding. I’ve never had any bleeding in either pregnancy so was advised to go down to triage to be checked out. They heard baby’s heartbeat and couldn’t see any obvious cause for the bleeding so sent me home. This bleeding repeated on Saturday and Sunday so I went in again Sunday and was told similar information (this time though that I also had group B strep). They booked me in for a scan on Monday (yesterday) which diagnosed complete placenta praevia – whilst they said it can move over the next few weeks they said that it’s likely I’d need an elective C-section at about 38/39 weeks. This is itself is a bombshell enough but I’m reasonably ok with that, I was lucky enough to have the birth I wanted first time round so I can’t complain. However I am just so worried by the bleeding. Everything I have read suggests that bleeding with this condition is common in the latter stages of pregnancy, however I’m still only 18 weeks. Whilst it’s only a bit of blood each day, it’s more than I would like to see. I don’t really see the point in going back to triage again as it hasn’t got any worse as such but I’m just terrified about making it through the next 8-10 weeks or so after which I’ll feel a bit more confident about things. Has anyone got any experience of placenta praevia this early and bleeding at this stage? How did you manage it? Did it get worse or did it just stay steady? I’ve been advised to stop running and abstain from sex etc and to take it easy although haven’t been told to take total bed rest so am still at work and stuff. I have a 17 month old daughter which is difficult too and adding to the stress a bit because there is no way I can get around never picking her up – I’m trying to avoid lifting where possible but she’s still a baby really – she can’t walk long distances so even if its just lifting her into the pushchair and carrying her down the stairs, there really isn’t any way I can avoid that. Anyway, any experiences from anyone else in a similar position would be really welcome J

Thanks

Becky

I'm 24 weeks tomorrow and have been bleeding daily since 10 weeks. I went to the EPU at 10 weeks and was told everything looked fine, healthy baby and everything. When I reached my 12 week scan I asked about it and was shown that I have a low-lying placenta that partially covers my cervix. At that time I was told that it was okay to continue with exercise. I did and exercise didn't increase the bleeding at all. At my 20 week scan the placenta was still in the same position and I'm still bleeding daily. Again, I haven't been to rest, but again, it's only partial not full. I suspect that when I'm scanned again at 28 weeks, that if it still hasn't moved and I'm still bleeding that I'll be told no more crossfit, but I'll ask about swimming. I have significantly reduced my exercise on many levels, but I've still been keeping active. It usually becomes more of concern around 26 weeks as the baby is big enough then to put significant pressure on your cervix.

So far everything is good. I had a scare again last week as I passed a blood clot. The frequency or amount of bleeding hadn't changed, but I did have the clot about the size of 5p. They did an internal exam and said that my cervix is nice and long but that I had a polyp, which I know I didn't have pre-pregnancy as I had a pap smear just before. This can also cause bleeding. She said she could see that I was bleeding but the amount was small and okay. Again, everything else is good. My little boy is very active and looks completely healthy. Everything seems to be okay with everything else, just the low-lying placenta.

The bleeding still bothers me. For me I don't really spot so much as I'll go from nothing to then some coming out when I have a bowel movement. I can usually feel when a bleed is coming. My little one likes to kick my cervix as well, which is rather unpleasant. My added issue is that I'm rh neg, so I've had to have the anti-d injection and have my blood checked every 2 weeks to see if I need a top up. They've now taken bloods to check if he is rh neg. If he is, then I won't have to worry about that anymore, which would be nice.

For a little more comfort, my sister has bleeding with 4 of her 5 pregnancy, very heavy with some, and she had natural births with all. She also have partial placenta previa, which always resolved itself by 32 weeks. 90% if the the time the partials will, but I think that number goes down for full, but you never know. It's still early.

I hope the bleeding stops for you. It's always disconcerting because there is so much negativity around it, but there are still a good percentage of women who bleed during their pregnancy.

Ah thanks so much for this, that really reassures me :) they are going to check again at 20 week scan and will have more of an idea then if it's likely to move. I need to keep doing some form of activity or I'll go mad but after waking to/from work and running around after a toddler I don't want to push it. Will hopefully be able to start swimming again soon if nothing gets any worse. It sounds like you're managing really well still. Thanks again for replying :)

I go nuts if I don't get some physical activity in. As this is my first, there is no toddler to even chase around. I've been doing alot of reading on it and asked lots of questions when seeing both my mw and the consultant. Whilst I want to keep active, I'll stop if I must. Hoping for some good news in 4 weeks when I have my 28 week scan.

Good luck with your 20 week. I hope it shows some migration. I think it needs to be at least 2cm away from the cervix to try a vaginal birth.

Hi! I am having the exact problem.. also in week 18 now. I know the post was created a while ago but I would be so grateful if you could share your experience with me..! <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back