Vasa praevia - HELP!

Ellied

Reaction score
Well had good news and bad news today. I went to see the doctor and my placenta has moved (just) but now i have another problem which i have never heard of before. It is called Vasa Praevia which is when the vessels sat over my cervix.

The short of it is that i have another scan in 2 weeks and if no change then i have a c-section. Any changes, pains, concerns at all i have to go to the hospital. Am actually very scared by this as i have not heard of it before.

Has anyone else heard of or experienced similar?

dont know anything about this just sending some :hug:

from what i have read if not diagnosed fatality rate is 95%. I guess i am just lucky that it has been picked up and steps are being made to monitor me and a c-section should avoid any major complications ( i think)

They have provisionally said New Year Eve for the c-section. Last NYE i was partying in Las Vegas.... guess it is going to be a bit different this year :lol:

Gosh. I'm glad that they have picked this up. I've never heard of it before. xxx

Iv not herd of it either. Glad they have picked up on it though :hug:

My mum had it with my sister... she had to have a c section... they both survived labour, even though my sister went into distress and this was 25 years ago... so I am pretty sure they are a lot more clued up about it now.. i know I've mentioned in the past that my sister died, but it had absolutely nothing to do with this... it was due to a rare genetic disorder that the doc's would have definitely have picked up by now if your baby had it, and does not cause this problem... so please don't worry about that...

The reason they want you to contact them asap if you start contracting or have pain is that it can cause haemorrhaging. As the cervix dilates, it will stretch and tear the blood vessels and cause them to start bleeding. .. and they will want to perform a c section immediately, and pretty much from 35 weeks women can pop at any time... so until they can confirm the placenta has moved up and the cervix is clear, then they cannot safely let you labour normally... But a c section doesn't involve your cervix, so it will reduce the risks significantly.

Thankfully they have picked it up though hun... because undiagnosed its dangerous, but at least now, you know and can take all the necessary precautions..

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Squiglet said:
My mum had it with my sister... she had to have a c section... they both survived labour, even though my sister went into distress and this was 25 years ago... so I am pretty sure they are a lot more clued up about it now.. i know I've mentioned in the past that my sister died, but it had absolutely nothing to do with this... it was due to a rare genetic disorder that the doc's would have definitely have picked up by now if your baby had it, and does not cause this problem... so please don't worry about that...

The reason they want you to contact them asap if you start contracting or have pain is that it can cause haemorrhaging. As the cervix dilates, it will stretch and tear the blood vessels and cause them to start bleeding. .. and they will want to perform a c section immediately, and pretty much from 35 weeks women can pop at any time... so until they can confirm the placenta has moved up and the cervix is clear, then they cannot safely let you labour normally... But a c section doesn't involve your cervix, so it will reduce the risks significantly.

Thankfully they have picked it up though hun... because undiagnosed its dangerous, but at least now, you know and can take all the necessary precautions..

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks for this. I am confident that the c-section will mean no major complications. Hey maybe in 2 weeks time everything will have changed :pray:

Im So Glad They Picked This Up, Thank God For Small Mercies :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hi Ellied

so sorry hun to hear this, funny thing is, saturday night i came across this while searching the web, i just looked thru my history to see what it was cause i was gonna ask you if it was Vasa Previa or not.

i know there is a high mortality rate but don't get worrying yourself about it, i know easier said than done though hey.

I've just found a page on it, its up to you if you read it or not cause sometimes knowing more than you do makes it harder to accept and then you start to panic etc..

If you do read it then just remember (Quote from webpage) When vasa previa is detected prior to labor, the baby has a much greater chance of surviving :D you're in gr8 hands, god is on your side i know it, i'm here if you want me but i think you know that anyway.

http://www.nathanparis.com/vp.htm

keeping everything crossed for you honey. am just v glad for you that they've diagnosed it now. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

moomoo192 said:
forgot to ask you hun, who's your consultant??

It is Mrs Pillai. She was very nice actually and did all the scanning herself. I have to admit that i am totally shitting myself. As you know i didn't want a c-section but now i just want one as soon as possible. If things are the same on my next scan then i am going to press to get it early.

It is natural to worry I know that I am just petrified of going into labour now. On a positive side i was not told to do anything different so maybe it is not a very bad case of it. But having said that i had not heard of it before so didn't ask if i should do anything different. They just said any worries/changes at all to get in touch.

See you Thursday :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

thank god they found it hun x at least now they know about it something can be done and maybe you'll get your baby a little earlier than planned as a reward!!!! :cheer:

lots of love x

I gotta admit Ellie, if i was in your position i'd want it done now too, this is your first so i don't get why they offered you a c-section so near your due date when they don't know if you'll go early or not. Then again with a first, labour will be long (well generally) so i guess if you rung them saying you thought you were in labour they'd get you straight in so don't get worrying.

Mrs Pillai is lovely, i'd have every faith in her, she has so much experience too i was told, she was the one also that done my CVS.

If you get your show or lose your plug though i'd ring em asap and push for it sooner.

looking forward to thursday too :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back