Placenta issues anyone?

Loubalouba

Reaction score
Hi

I just wondered if anyone has suffered with placental insufficiency during pregnancy or been told they have bilateral notching on the uterine artery flow of the placenta and a high Pi

Any success stories?

Did anyone do anything or find anything that helped baby to grow? The consultant says there is little I can do! But I wonder about getting the right balance of exercise and rest and how important that could be.

We lost our little boy at 36 weeks due to this and it looks like I have the same issue again with this baby.. Plus it's an IVF baby so you are more likely to have placenta issues apparently! I just can't loose another baby I really can't! They have said we won't because of close monitoring and early delivery but I am still scared of my baby not growing and developing properly!

Thanks

Lou x

Hi, my potential placenta issue is slightly different.. I'm expecting placenta-sharing twins so my placenta at this point is getting a bit fed up with supporting two babies. It looks like one of my twin's growth is tapering off and the umbilical Doppler is suddenly showing a high resistance reading so they are worried she might not be getting as much as she should.

I've had extra scans and a lot of CTG monitoring since the high reading was discovered a week ago. Other than that, I've just been resting a lot (no energy anyway) and trying to pack in the protein. Are you taking iron?

They have decided to induce me at 36 weeks, which is next Friday. This is pretty common with ID twins though, they don't tend to let you past 37 weeks due to placenta issues developing frequently in the third trimester.

Pregnancy is horribly stressful, especially if you're high risk or you've had previous issues like you have. I can't even imagine. When have they said is your goal gestation? I know it sounds cliche but I would say trust your instinct and fight when you feel that you need seeing. I hate feeling like a pushy patient or like I'm trying to get special treatment, but if I hadn't mentioned reduced movements at my last consultant appointment, they wouldn't have discovered the problems that they have. It's one situation where being firm and a bit pushy is totally justified I think xxx

Hi, my potential placenta issue is slightly different.. I'm expecting placenta-sharing twins so my placenta at this point is getting a bit fed up with supporting two babies. It looks like one of my twin's growth is tapering off and the umbilical Doppler is suddenly showing a high resistance reading so they are worried she might not be getting as much as she should.

I've had extra scans and a lot of CTG monitoring since the high reading was discovered a week ago. Other than that, I've just been resting a lot (no energy anyway) and trying to pack in the protein. Are you taking iron?

They have decided to induce me at 36 weeks, which is next Friday. This is pretty common with ID twins though, they don't tend to let you past 37 weeks due to placenta issues developing frequently in the third trimester.

Pregnancy is horribly stressful, especially if you're high risk or you've had previous issues like you have. I can't even imagine. When have they said is your goal gestation? I know it sounds cliche but I would say trust your instinct and fight when you feel that you need seeing. I hate feeling like a pushy patient or like I'm trying to get special treatment, but if I hadn't mentioned reduced movements at my last consultant appointment, they wouldn't have discovered the problems that they have. It's one situation where being firm and a bit pushy is totally justified I think xxx

Hi Hun

Thank you for your reply :)

What was your high resistance reading? Good they are monitoring you closely and good you are resting too xx wow not long until your baby's are here!! Are they both good estimated weights?

They have said it all depends on babies growth, she said most people with my issue get to 34 weeks on aspirin so hoping we make it to 34 weeks or as close as! Thank god you mentioned reduced movements!! Yes I am very paranoid this time and I won't ignore any of my instincts this time!! I have learnt the hard way! The consultant said her door is always open and they will scan me and monitor me closely and extra if I am worried so I can't ask for me it's just every day is a constant worry., it's exhausting!

Wishing you and your babies all the best for Friday :)

Thanks again

Lou xx

not the same thing but I had placental abruption with my son where the placenta was coming away. they gave me pessaries and lots of bed rest! didn't want to read and run hope it all goes OK xx

Hi Hun

Thank you for your reply :)

What was your high resistance reading? Good they are monitoring you closely and good you are resting too xx wow not long until your baby's are here!! Are they both good estimated weights?

They have said it all depends on babies growth, she said most people with my issue get to 34 weeks on aspirin so hoping we make it to 34 weeks or as close as! Thank god you mentioned reduced movements!! Yes I am very paranoid this time and I won't ignore any of my instincts this time!! I have learnt the hard way! The consultant said her door is always open and they will scan me and monitor me closely and extra if I am worried so I can't ask for me it's just every day is a constant worry., it's exhausting!

Wishing you and your babies all the best for Friday :)

Thanks again

Lou xx

The reading was 1.25 so just above normal the lady said. Fingers crossed it's gone back down a bit by scan on Thursday and that it was just a glitch!

Estimate weights 10 days ago were about 5 pounds each, so I'm thinking they'll be around the 6 pound range when born at 36 weeks but they can be totally off apparently. I'll be pleased if they're over 5 pounds as I think that's quite good weights for twins at 36 weeks. More importantly, I hope they are breathing well and able to feed right away.

Glad the consultant you're seeing sounds really understanding and proactive. It makes a bit difference when it feels like they are on your side, doesn't it? Once you hit 30 or so weeks, I expect they'll CTG monitor you daily, which is what I've been having and really helps ease my anxiety because I can physically see their heartbeats and movements every day. xxx

Hi sweetheart my 2 year old baby boy is a success story of a pregnancy with placental pathology/defficiency. I do not remember exact values, but both PI values were very high indicating high resistance in my ambilical arteries meaning difficulty of blow flow, so risk of either IUGR (Intra-Uterine Growth Restriction) or pre-eclampsia. (My blood pressure was always norm throughout pregnancy though so no risk with the latter.)

I was treated with low dose aspirin from about 18weeks after the problem was found through a Doppler and my PI values normalised soon after and stayed like this within normal range for the rest of the pregnancy. I was monitored often to check baby's growth and he seemed to grow well, although more towards the lower end for weight, the rate of his growth was good throughout. He was born naturally 1+ week late.

Unfortunately the night after birth he showed signs of something going wrong as he was puking bile and long story short he was moved to intensive care and had to have investigative surgery as a suspected case of intestinal atresia (multiple obstructions/blockages/interruptions throughout his bowel). He underwent a 5 hour surgery and all went well. No short bowel syndrome thankfully. They removed the problematic/blocked/inflamed parts of his bowel and put all healthy parts back together - long recovery and lots of tears but mostly happy tears for how grateful we were.

We have a normal healthy boy, like nothing has happened! From my understanding and what the surgeons explained to me, as I needed to get to the bottom of how/why this had happened, my possibly poor blood supply had probably affected the development of his bowel very early in pregnancy way before I was treated with aspirin, while his bowel was being created. I am now pregnant again and plan to have an early scan, see if I need to be treated with aspirin from very early on this time round in case I minimise this way the risk of a similar thing happening to me and my bubba again.

Are you treated with low dose aspirin at all? I am so so sorry to read about your loss, I've had a m/c last January but it was early and was so devastating, heartbreaking and traumatising, I cannot imagine what you've been through, I want to give you the biggest hug :hug: I hope everything goes well with you and your bubba, I believe the fact that you are being closely monitored is amazing and they're definitely on the ball and being proactive for your and your bubba's safety. Take care sweetheart xx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back