Papp-a

positivity :)

Reaction score
Just had a call from the hospital. Downs test came back low risk, however they've told me the baby is a low weight and this is called 'pappa-a' iv got to go in for a scan on 27 June. Feel really upset, has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
Oh hun, I'm sorry to hear that.......don't know what pappa-a is so I'm not much help I'm afraid!
Hope that they can reassure you at the appointment. xxx

Sorry to hear this hun :-(
Maybe it's just because you were poorly for so long and baby just has some catching up to do? Really hope everythings ok :hug: x

oh sorry to hear that! Sorry - have no idea what this Pappa-A thing is. Did they say how serious it is?? Can you treat it?

Awwww hun :hug:
I know a little bit about PAPP-A so I'll tell you what I know.

PAPP-A is usually low if the baby has Downs Syndrome, but because you're low risk of that, the only complications you could have are: High blood pressure, premature birth and pre-eclampsia.

But these conditions (except Downs Syndrome obviously) are preventable.
PAPP-A is actually also very common.

It's good that you've found this out now :) and the low risk of Downs Syndrome is a positive too.
Don't worry hun, like I said it's very common in pregnancy.
Try not to be upset xxx

Thanks ladies. Tiff, thank u so much, how do u know about it? Xxx

There's stuff online about it pos if you wanna read up, I had a look earlier, its PAPP-A xx

Thanks princess! I looked online too, seems to be lots about downs rather than low weight?! :( xx

Sorry to hear this, from what the other girls have said it's good things have been picked up now so you can be monitored properly. I've never heard of it before either.

At the 12 weeks hun babies size/weight can can fluctuate greatly xx One on my friends had a re scan cause her baby was apparently underweight for it's measurements, but everything was fine xx

Not every LO will fit into government/hospital standards xx

Well hun you had low chances of downs though so that doesn't seem to be the cause. It does seem to be associated with pre-eclampsia and a low birth weight.
I'd put money on that your baby has had a lot to deal with lately and it's playing catch up. You said yourself you personally haven't gained any weight due to your illness, maybe it's the same for baby :hug: I bet s/he will sprout very soon xx

I've never heard of PAPP-A, but my friend had two low birth weight babies apparently due to her having an abnormal shaped uterus.

They were full term though and perfectly fine, if very small :)

They grow just like any other kids and they will reach the adult size dictated to by their genes.

Try not to worry :hug:

Sorry to hear this

When i had my 1st she measured small, but not untill later in pregnancy, she was born a healthy weight though.

Hopefully you'll get some more information soon, and your next scan isn't that far away

:hugs:

It's just something I read about hun, with being pregnant and wanting to be a doctor.
You'd be surprised what else I know :rotfl:

You're welcome hun and chin up xxx

Try not to worry too much hun, at least they know and you can have extra checks to be on the safe side.

When my neice was pregnant, they kept telling her her baby was low weight and that they'd have to take her into hospital/induce early etc etc, then she had the baby and she was totally fine and a really good weight at just under 8lbs!!

Thank u much everyone, it really helps! It wasn't good getting the news in a hotel room on my own :( OH has been on the phone 4 times trying to reassure me! Bless him he wanted to book me a flight back to London tonight coz I was crying!

Princess my mum wondered the same, hopefuy we will both start gaining some weight asap! Xxxxx

oh hun... hugs...
the only thing i know about PAPP-A is that it can lead to low birth weight... but this isn't as serious as it was years ago... if you had a good result from downs testing then that is a good sign...
and babies will grow t different rates so it will catch up!!! stressing about it won't help you or the LO, so keep calm if you can and concentrate on the positives! we are all here for you with everything crossed xxxx

Hi hon, its good that they will give u regular checks which means they will keep an eye on things, I'm sure it will all turn out ok in the end, but big hugs anyway, its not nice stressing on your own in a hotel room, get a nice big chocolatey gooey pudding on room service and chill out :) xxx

Hope you're ok hun. Sorry just read this. I'm sure everything will be fine. Good news about the downs testing.

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back