Pain-relief at birth, can someone please advise?

Tulips

Reaction score
Hiya ladies

Sorry, jumping in a little bit early. All the way from 1 tri, actually! I know it's very early days but I can't get this off my mind; it's about going to hospital when in labor. I've recently moved back to England after living abroad since I was a little girl, and now know nothing about the NHS, and don't really know anyone to ask for advice.

What I'm worrying about is pain relief (pathetic, I know :-/) Are you entitled to epidural here in England? Assuming it's not a health risk at the time, will they give it to you if you really need it? I'm so scared of being forced to give birth without *knowing* that I can have epidural if I really can't handle the pain, which I'm frightened is going to happen :-/

Sorry for the whinge, was hoping maybe someone could tell me their experiences.

Thanks

hey hun yes u r allowed an epidural, they also have gan'n'air pethadine and other methods

Yep you can have an epidural if you choose to. I was induced and although it was my choice I was pretty much told an epidural would be a good idea *wink wink *

You should discuss your birth plan with your midwife when you are in your second trimester... I think I did mine at about 26 weeks..... you can discuss all the different type of pain relief then. Although if it is playing on your mind you can always bring this up at your next appointment.

remember there are lots of different forms of pain relief, Gas and Air, Pethidine, tens, etc..... epidurals have their own side effects and are not guarenteed to work - mine didn't. Personally I found the Gas and Air to be very effecitve!! :D

Epidurals are great.....when they work!!

Mine had to resited twice which was horrible, it seemed to take forever!!

Lovely relief though, but id only have it if you REALLY think you need it, you are wobbly for a while after and it can have some side effects like headaches etc.

Thank you SO much guys, I feel very relieved now! At least I know that epidural and also other methods of pain relief ARE an option if it comes to it. I'll probably mention my consearns to MW next time I see her too. Thanks for the advise everyone! :)

Big hugs!

Go to either the NCT classes (you have to pay for these) or the parent craft classes (which are free) all your options will be discussed. & well worth going to.

My advice have an epidural, why I waited so long I'll never know :rotfl:

Go for the pidurl hun it works a treat, especially when ur been in labour for 2 days. Speak to ur midwife hun about what pain relife u can have :hug:

I had gas and air, diamorphine and an epidural and I got it when I asked for it so don't worry there is plenty there to help with the pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back