• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Overdue Babies

tallulah73

Reaction score
Im 10 days overdue and bring induced on Saturday.

My LO's head has been fully engaged since i was 38wks and im really paranoid about his head and face being squashed for so long.
Do overdue babies tend to have squashed little faces? im not sure what to expect. :?

Also will his skin be very dry and flaky?

DD was born at 41 weeks, she had dry hands and feet, which spread to her tummy after a few days but was never sore or upsetting. She'd been engaging on and off from about 32 weeks so spent a long time in my pelvis and she wasn't squished, she came out looking just perfect (but then dont they all) andshe wasnt a small baby either.

zach was born at T+14, his hands & feet had dry skin, but only for a week or so. his head was squashed, but that was nothing to do with being overdue, it was because he got stuck trying to come out ear first!

My two were both overdue. Neither were particularly dry or flaky.

Lydia has a very little bruising on her forehead from where her head got stuck. but nothing major. Nothing to do with being overdue though (well, it contributed to her being so big I suppose but that's all).

T+18
Lydia1.jpg

With Alex they used forceps and ventouse to get him out because he was distressed as the cord was wrapped around his neck, so he did look a bit battered and bruised for a while, poor little lamb. Again, nothing to do with being overdue.

T+15
0061.jpg

My little girl was born at T+12 and had flaky hands and feet and her face was a little blotchy. it has cleared up now and didnt seem to hurt or bother her at all! her head had a big dent in but that is because they think she turned and was breech for a while and then turned back before labour although they didnt know this till she was born!!

Aimee was 11 days over and after about 2 days she got dry hands and feet and also round her ankles. Wasn't sore or red or anything, just flaky, only lasted a week or so. Her head and face were all squashed on one side but she was in an awkward position and had been stuck hence 11 days over and the induction.

Dylan was induced at term plus 12. His face was a little squashed but went normal the followingday. I dont think it was anything to do with him being overdue.

I was 13 days overdue with Aimee and was induced. She refused to leave and ended up with the forceps which left a mark on her face.

S1050453.jpg

This was her about 10 hours after she was born. It faded by the time she was a week old. She had some dry skin on her feet and hands but HV told me to put a bit of olive oil on it as a cream would be too harsh for her delicate skin. The dryness was gone within 3 weeks.

As for squashed faces, I think all babies have squashed faces and heads when they are born. I have a photo of Aimee's head when she was a day old and it looks horrible!! It is misshapen and 'coned'! :rotfl:

Ryan was born at 10 days overdue and was absolutely perfect, not at all squashed or wrinkly, and no dry skin or vernix. I didn't have my waters broken until I was fully dilated though which I thought maybe had something to do with how clean and healthy he looked when he came out!

Farooq was 5days over due and was engaged for about 2-3 weeks.
He was an assited delivery but the mark from the ventouse was gone within 24-48hrs.
However he suffered with dry skin all over his body (except his back!?) for about 7weeks. He wasn't born flakey but he kept drying out REALLY easily...especially after a wash :wall:
I started with olive oil but it neva seemed to make any lasting difference so I got some Aquarious cream on perscription from the doctor and that worked really well. He's absolutely fine now :D

[edit] p.s the pic on my ticker is him @ 2wks old so as you can see he looked fine lol

India was born at 41weeks and was engaged for a long while. Everyone marveled how un-squished she looked for a baby just pushed out.
this was just after the birth before they cut her cord.
2807733392_0218fcc6d2.jpg

this was the morning after...she was born at 11:33pm, so just a few hrs old.
2806874175_ae650922e7.jpg

not wrinkled or squished or red and blotchy at all.

Jessica was 10 days overdue and engaged from about 34 weeks. She had incredibly dry skin which cleared up really quickly with E45 (olive oil is recommended but was not practical as she went back into hospital ill and couldn't be bathed because of her cannula etc).

Her face wasn't squashed but she had some grazes by her eyes from the forceps and the ventouse had left her with a cone head and what looked like a nasty lovebite, She also had a sore bit where she had had a clip on her head for monitoring. These went quite quickly though and she looked perfect to me when she was born. :)

leah was born at 42+1 and her face wasn't squashed at all... just very red!
she did have very flaky skin at first... but aqueous cream sorted it x

ds1 was 7 days late and ds2 was only 1 day late but they both had dry skin for about a week or so. ds2 had been engaging for weeks but wasn't any more squashed than any newborn who's just taken a trip down the birth canal.

Last edited:
angelcake89 said:
Xena said:
My two were both overdue. Neither were particularly dry or flaky.

Lydia has a very little bruising on her forehead from where her head got stuck. but nothing major. Nothing to do with being overdue though (well, it contributed to her being so big I suppose but that's all).

T+18
Lydia1.jpg

With Alex they used forceps and ventouse to get him out because he was distressed as the cord was wrapped around his neck, so he did look a bit battered and bruised for a while, poor little lamb. Again, nothing to do with being overdue.

T+15
0061.jpg

Wow off topic but your kids looked really similar! Do they resemble each other now?

Less now than as babies. As babies they were really similar in some expressions :

Lydia
8-9weeksold22.jpg

Alex
005resized.jpg

quite funny really :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members