Ovarian Cysts...

Dragonfly Fi

Reaction score
Well i have a large (10cm by 10cm) cyst on my left ovary. It has been there since i was pregnant with Jasper

It may have been there before i was pregnant with Jasper

I have been told by the doctors that they would like to operate to remove the cyst.

I have thought very long and hard about this, and that is NOT something i am prepared to do unless it is at a time that i have stopped having children.

There are a number of reasons for this

1, if it has been there since puberty, it has never caused me any trouble
2. if it has been there since Jasper was in utereo, it has never caused me any trouble

it clearly has not stopped me conceiving or carrying a baby full term.

They have made it quite clear that the cyst has nothing to do with my early stillbrith.

It has not caused me to have irregular cycles, bad periods or any sort of pain what so ever.

Until i had the scan with Jasper, i had absolutely no idea it was even there.

I have decided to find natural ways to shrink the cyst, i have been researching herbs that will help this

I want to know if anyone else has denied invasive treatement of a benign, symptom free yet large ovarian cyst

My appointment with my consultant is on the 15th of December and i would like tp gather as much information as possible before going in there and telling them that not only will i be refusing their 'consultant led care' with my next child, i will also be refusing invasive surgery on my stomach to remove a cyst which poses no threat to me or has ever caused me any problems

Hi Fi

Sorry I don't have any knowledge at all in this area but I totally agree with going down the natural remidies route first.

When I had my kidney stones I spent ages reserching herbal remidies online as got no help from GP and 2 months later I'm stone free and have my bfp!

Gook luck with shrinking your cyst and getting a bfp x

Thank you :)

I just think that anything 'but' surgery is the way, particularly if its on such a delicate area, there is a strong chance if it has been in me a while, that i will have to have an ovary removed, and if the other ovary doesnt perform as well i will be unable to conceive again!

sometimes i think modern medicine forgets to look at the bigger picture

hi fy

my mum and sister had their cysts surgically removed and both lost ovary and tube. i was diagnosed with mine 14 years ago following birth of my first child and dr decided just to monitor it - it was gone of its own accord by the time i had my son 2 years later!

clara x

Hi clara x thank you for replying!

How big was your cyst and did you feel it pop or anything like that?

did you use anything to help shrink it such as chickweed?

In most circumstances I always opt / recommend the natural route as a first option.

I mean who actually wants surgery IF it is not affecting you in any detrimental way?

I was told I have a cyst (small) on my right ovary on 4th Nov.

Yet when I was scanned internally back in May there was no mention of a cyst but I was told I had a fibroid (fibroid wasn't mentioned at my November scan)

It's hard to know what to believe hun and I think sometimes you have to trust your instincts.

Say no to surgery for the time being and see how you get on...

xxxxxx

just wanted to say big hugs to you
not an easy decision to make...im sure you have made the right choice if you feel its right for you
xxxxxxxx

Hi hun.

Did you doctor say what type of cyst this is ? It sounds like it is a complex cyst with needing surgery rather than a simple cyst where simple cyst's go away on there own & complex cyst's continue to grow & grow till adventually they burst causing you a extreme amount of pain plus you can get peritonitis, which can be lethal.

Posts vary on the net from ladies who have experianced surgery to remove a cyst/cyst's. Some saying Most of the time if they have to be surgically removed there is little to no damage to the ovary while other posts say they had to remove that ovary the cyst was on because the cyst was to big.

The reason this has not effected your fertility is because you still have your other ovary that does not have a cyst on which is producing your eggs. While the ovary with the cyst on ( wont produce eggs ) cause it has the big cyst on it. Hence if god forbid your ovary with the cyst on had to be removed, you would still have the good ovary to produce eggs for you & they would more than likely give you fertility treatment i.e tablets or injections to make that ovary work ( extra hard ) to ensure that you ( do ) get follicles from that ovary each month.

You need to sit down with your doctor who suggested the surgery to remove the cyst & ask can they save your ovary or will it have to be removed because of the cyst. If left untreated to grow & grow you will be causing bad scaring to your ovary as well as the fact if it ruptures & you get peritonites then you will become ( VERY ) poorley & that ovary would be lost anyway ( if that makes sence ) infact it could end up effecting your other tube if you developed ( peritonites ) through failure of leaving the cyst to grow.

Herbs ( wont ) shrink they cyst because it sounds like its NOT a simple cyst if needed surgery then its more complex & they will want to do biopsy when they do remove it to make sure its not cancerious etc.

I think your life is more important dont you, you would hate for this to grow more & burst on its own leaving deeper complications for your health. Do you agree ?

Only you can make the right decision but if i was put in that situation with a cyst of that size & told that i WILL need surgery to remove it then i would go with the doctor cause they know what there talking about.

xx

Last edited:
It hasnt grown in 2 years...

they said they can tell if its cancer because it will have many pockets of fluid rather than just one big one.

really the only thing they said was worrying about it, was the size which has remained constant.

Dont feel like I can comment on this as such an important thing, Im sure the doctors will be able to tell you if they think its ok to leave it....as long as they keep an eye on it and if it does get worse you might have to have a op?

I hope it doesnt cause you any problems in the future, make sure those docs keep an eye on it for you :) x

I will x

I am having an ultrasound scan on the 15th of December where they will have another look at it, but they have already looked at it 5 times, twice with Jasper and 3 times with this baby, it has not changed in size or caused me any problems since it was first noted on Christmas eve 2 years ago.

There is absolutely no evidence that an ovarian cyst causes an ovary to stop working, polycystic ovaries are a different thing all together and a complex cyst is a name given to a cyst that contains solid matter and/or many pockets of fluid.

I suffer with neither.

It was there all through my pregnancy with Jasper, it was there when i gave birth to him and no one even batted an eyelid about it, that it is so important to remove it now, when i am desperate to try for another baby and without even having a look to see wether the other ovary is functioning etc... is in my eyes, madness.

"Most cysts can be removed with laparoscopic surgery by a skilled surgeon, irrespective of their size. ( No matter the size of the cyst, it can be decompressed laparoscopically, causing it to collapse, so that the cyst wall can be removed through a keyhole incision, saving the patient unnecessary major surgery. ) This is usually the preferred mode of treatment in infertile women, because it allows the doctor to save ( conserve) the normal ovarian tissue, thus preserving normal ovarian function.

Rarely, laparotomy ( open surgery) may be needed if the cyst is solid or complex; and if the doctor suspects a malignancy.

Ironically, in many infertile women, the major risk posed by ovarian cysts is not because of the cyst itself, but because of the overenthusiastic zeal of a misguided surgeon, who wants to remove the cyst. This is often much more dangerous, because many trigger-happy surgeons remove the entire ovary, thus compromising ovarian function; and because the surgery can result in scarring (adhesions) which will then impair tubal function."

Last edited:
I will x

I am having an ultrasound scan on the 15th of December where they will have another look at it, but they have already looked at it 5 times, twice with Jasper and 3 times with this baby, it has not changed in size or caused me any problems since it was first noted on Christmas eve 2 years ago.

There is absolutely no evidence that an ovarian cyst causes an ovary to stop working, polycystic ovaries are a different thing all together and a complex cyst is a name given to a cyst that contains solid matter and/or many pockets of fluid.

I suffer with neither.

It was there all through my pregnancy with Jasper, it was there when i gave birth to him and no one even batted an eyelid about it, that it is so important to remove it now, when i am desperate to try for another baby and without even having a look to see wether the other ovary is functioning etc... is in my eyes, madness.

I understand your frustration Fi, I have had to put TTC on hold for a while myself and it's so maddening as all I want is a baby!

BUT I have a problem staying pregnant and I need to rectify this before I can continue down the TTC route.

My issue is of course very different to your's all I am saying is that I understand the frustration of being told to shelve TTC :shock:

If it is just one Dr advising you to go down the surgery route then is there any way of getting a second opinion?

I know that I have simple cyst but I didn't realise that there can be later complications with complex cysts?? I guess they are trying to do preventative treatment?

I guess the point here is that if there is no guarentee that your cyst is going to cause you problems in the furture then why should you have surgery?

Last edited:
Well its pretty much definite that it was not the cause of the miscarriage, i have delivered one full-term baby perfectly well with it doing its thing (whatever it is doing!)

it does not cause me pain or discomfort.

Carnat, dont get confused. There are 4 types of ovarian cysts;

1. Ovaries produce small cysts every month which mature and release the egg.

2. the simple cyst (like the ones me and you have) are common in lots and lots of women and its probably that 4 out of
5 women will have one at some point in their lives, its just where a follicle (or small cyst) from normal ovarian function fills a bit with fluid, they usually go away on their own and cause no problems, mine causes no problems its just large (10cm)

3. A complex cyst is a cyst with many pockets of fluid, or solid matter within the cyst, they can tell this from ultrasounds which is how i know i dont have one ;) These cysts are sometimes made up (weirdly enough) of hair and teeth and things, they can also be cancerious.

4. polycystic ovaries is caused by the ovary creating more cysts than are needed to release an egg, because the ovary spends so much time making cysts, it often does not release an egg, these are the type of cysts that disrupt ovarian function. Simple cysts do not xx

"Most cysts can be removed with laparoscopic surgery by a skilled surgeon, irrespective of their size. ( No matter the size of the cyst, it can be decompressed laparoscopically, causing it to collapse, so that the cyst wall can be removed through a keyhole incision, saving the patient unnecessary major surgery. ) This is usually the preferred mode of treatment in infertile women, because it allows the doctor to save ( conserve) the normal ovarian tissue, thus preserving normal ovarian function.

Rarely, laparotomy ( open surgery) may be needed if the cyst is solid or complex; and if the doctor suspects a malignancy.

Ironically, in many infertile women, the major risk posed by ovarian cysts is not because of the cyst itself, but because of the overenthusiastic zeal of a misguided surgeon, who wants to remove the cyst. This is often much more dangerous, because many trigger-happy surgeons remove the entire ovary, thus compromising ovarian function; and because the surgery can result in scarring (adhesions) which will then impair tubal function."

I read this exact post earlier on the net.

Only you can decide surgery or no surgery. If you say its not growin & not causing you problems, then you know what's best for you. My opinion was that, IF it was to burst on its own it can then cause you further complercations.

I could imagen 10cm cyst on a ovary to interfear with ovulation on that pacific ovary. But then maybe the ovary does continue to ovulate, you would only know this if they did a scan on cd10 to see if you do have follicles growing there.

IF it was pcos then you would prob have more than 1 cyst, & fertility complecations which you dont have. I have a good friend who sufferes with pcos who needs injections to ovulate because of her cysts, so i cant see it being pcos with you.

Goodluck!!

Last edited:
No i definitely do not have PCOS, the only complication from the cyst popping could be that the body would need to drain the fluid, which it can do though can be painful...

i suppose i would rather deal with painful than possibly loose an ovary.

There is nothing that suggests a cyst will remove normal ovarian function, i really want to stress that again because it has been mentioned here that an ovary will not ovulate if a cyst is present, this is not the case.

Cysts of this size do shrink and vanish, i have been taking chickweed which has had much success in doing just that.

I suppose the thing is, if i were infertile and they wanted to take the cyst out i would say 'go for it, see if it helps' but i am quite clearly Not infertile, I fell pregnant with Jasper very quickly and i fell pregnant with my angel baby very very quickly (within 2 cycles of having jasper)

they were just delayed cycles because of breastfeeding but as soon as my cycles returned, i became pregnant again

So i clearly AM fertile, so the thought of having surgery that may impair my fertility, seems madness... if the cyst was causing problems that would be an indication of it needing to be remove but there are no problems/symptoms or issues.

However if my ovary is removed and it is later discovered that my other ovary does not function as well... i could be trying to conceive for years and need medical assistance to do so. Medical assistance which i would not receive on the NHS as i already have one child.

I am not prepared to mess with something that clearly works for no reason.

Much better to attempt to allow the cyst to vanish on its own or use something herbal until such time as we have decided to stop having children (or at least made Jasper a sibling)

Last edited:
its your body so you ned to do what is best for you, and it seems like you are pretty sure. xxxx

Well its pretty much definite that it was not the cause of the miscarriage, i have delivered one full-term baby perfectly well with it doing its thing (whatever it is doing!)

it does not cause me pain or discomfort.

Carnat, dont get confused. There are 4 types of ovarian cysts;

1. Ovaries produce small cysts every month which mature and release the egg.

2. the simple cyst (like the ones me and you have) are common in lots and lots of women and its probably that 4 out of
5 women will have one at some point in their lives, its just where a follicle (or small cyst) from normal ovarian function fills a bit with fluid, they usually go away on their own and cause no problems, mine causes no problems its just large (10cm)

3. A complex cyst is a cyst with many pockets of fluid, or solid matter within the cyst, they can tell this from ultrasounds which is how i know i dont have one ;) These cysts are sometimes made up (weirdly enough) of hair and teeth and things, they can also be cancerious.

4. polycystic ovaries is caused by the ovary creating more cysts than are needed to release an egg, because the ovary spends so much time making cysts, it often does not release an egg, these are the type of cysts that disrupt ovarian function. Simple cysts do not xx

Wow hun,

You probably know more than the Dr's :)

As Corrine says it's your body and your choice.

I would never put myself through surhery if I had any other choice, especially whilst TTC.

I can see you know your stuff and I think you should trust your own judgement.

I was neevr at any point advocating that you have the surgery, I just was a bit ignorant about the different types of cysts!

No i know sweetie xx i just wanted you to be clear about what your cyst was... if its a simple cyst (which it is, or you would have been told more about it ;) )

then its totally harmless and will probably just vanish - specially if its not as mahossive as mine :D

i just didnt want you to think it would stop your ovulation or become complex, they either are complex or they arent xx

No i know sweetie xx i just wanted you to be clear about what your cyst was... if its a simple cyst (which it is, or you would have been told more about it ;) )

then its totally harmless and will probably just vanish - specially if its not as mahossive as mine :D

i just didnt want you to think it would stop your ovulation or become complex, they either are complex or they arent xx

Thanks for clearing it up LOL!

You are officially my cyst expert :)

Actually I think it's really good to know what you are dealing with and researching / knowing your stuff will help you not be bullied by medical professionals!

xxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back