Opting out for downs syndrome test

Its been said before, but its personal choice for each woman/couple whether to have it done.

Every woman, every pregnancy and every child is different - and there is no right or wrong answer to this!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Here here x

Granted that the anomaly scan does not show Chromosomal abnormalities but I do feel that it's being implied that your either irresponsible for not finding out or that you don't love your love if you don't continue with the pregnancy....

I think there are varying degrees of abnormalities and I personally am glad not to have found out, obviously I don't want to bring a child into this world that won't survive but at the same time any of us could give birth to a healthy baby and the SIDs happens....

I agree with babym - My sister had bowl problems, cleft palate, heart murmer and deaf- advice abort?! Her bowl problems have improved with age, her cleft palate was operated and the murmur closed over years, she had a bone anchored hearing implant and throughout the first 12 years of her life 14 operations, now she has a degree in accountancy a great Job her speech is fine and she has an amazing life- unfortunately I know this is unlikely to be the case with all situations and my sisters problems were physical.

I believe we all make the best decision we can for our little ones sometimes that may be to limit pain & suffering in the way we see best.

As for downs syndrome - it is not always life threatening and like So_hopeful I personally would feel so incredibly blessed to have that child in my life regardless of how hard that life could potentially be.

Again we all make the best decisions we can for our babies with the knowledge we have available - like shoes one size does not fit all

Good luck to all awaiting results xxxxx

im booked in for amnio on 18th april and although I said I would never have the test as it wouldnt make the blindest bit of difference minion is our child no matter what and it will be loved unconditionally but when it came to being told there was a higher risk my opinion chsnged and I and hubby needed to know in our own minds for sure just so we can prepare if necessary

Cos sending lots of best wishes your way for your scan on Monday sure everything will be A-ok xx

Cheers Kaz, that's so kind. Best of luck to you too xxx

I totally agree, I have never had any extra testing carried out with any of my pregnancies , only the scans and one or two blood tests to check baby's health and mine ( and may be it's sex ,lol) but I'm not intertested in knowing any more than that as I believe what will be will be . Just as others have said there would be no decision to make based on the results so why test at all.

Just a quick point my friend was pregnant at the same time as me last time round, she had every test on offer to her nothing ever showed up ,her lad was born with downs and a serious heart defect , was a total shock to them both.
Stay stong it's your choice your life and your child xx

^^ tests are never 100% accurate, this is the point I was trying to make earlier x

WE are going for the first testing as I'm 38, had nuchal today measured at 3.9mm (eek :( ) and bloods come back next week, not sure how far we will take it as I would have no intention of terminating if results were not good, cos if we did and we couldn't conceive again (this one took 2 years) then I would have big big regrets
They will be loved no matter what

to be honest... i've no idea what we would do though...

I have my tests done yesterday, it was soooo nerve wracking. We had a nuchal measurement of 1mm but the lady didn't reassure me in any way. I found the whole thing quite traumatic but so glad it's done x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back