Tests for downs etc...

Tasha20

Reaction score
I have been told that I will be having these tests like all of us will be at some point, but its optional on wether you want to have them, personaly I don't want to know, my baby is my baby no matter how he/she comes out and id rather save myself from the worry and not have expectations.

What are your veiws on this ladies? would you want to know ?

I have been told because im 20 theres hardley a risk of a downs baby. My OH cousin who is 38 had a downs baby a year ago ( little sam aww bless him) but ive heard theres more of a risk if your older.

What are your feelings on this?

Im having my blood test for downs on 7th June. I didnt have one for Zack because I felt the same way as you do. Im worrying about everything with this child though, so im wanting to know if its alright and what to expect.
Im 21 and ive been told that theres a very low chance aswell, but I guess im just worried.

If you dont want to take the test you dont have to. If they found something wrong during the scans they would tell you anyway. You already know your at a low risk of having a downs baby, so if you dont want to do it, dont do it.

(hugs) are you okay? you sound a bit stressed about it?

i did'nt have them with my first because it only affected the 2 of us but i did with hannah because that affected kieron too

thats my thoughts too Mary.
Ive always had the tests done but they seemed more important with each subsequent child i had.
I know id never cope with a disabled child with three other children and i don;t feel its fair on them either.

i like to have choices too. So id always opt for the test. :)

and age has nothing to do with it. my friends ex husband had a downs baby and they were only in their mid twenties.

violet-glow said:
Im having my blood test for downs on 7th June. I didnt have one for Zack because I felt the same way as you do. Im worrying about everything with this child though, so im wanting to know if its alright and what to expect.
Im 21 and ive been told that theres a very low chance aswell, but I guess im just worried.

If you dont want to take the test you dont have to. If they found something wrong during the scans they would tell you anyway. You already know your at a low risk of having a downs baby, so if you dont want to do it, dont do it.

(hugs) are you okay? you sound a bit stressed about it?

I think I am quite stressed about it, got so many problems going on around me right now I dont think I could cope with anymore.
Which is why I have decided not to know.

It is my first so it wouldnt be too big of a problem and I could cope but I think I would be the same if I had other children to think of too.

Thanks for the replys ladies and thanks for the hug Violet-glow

I sure everything will be alright.
Us mums/mums to be worry about everything... but thats our job :)

Keep us updated.

Im sure it'll all be fine.... ur a great person and gonna have an adorable baby! :D

Best of luck!

xxx

I didnt want to know i havent had tests done me and my OH have created our lovely son and we cant wait to have him here with us and what ever happens we will always love him and will be happy what ever the outcome

violet-glow said:
I sure everything will be alright.
Us mums/mums to be worry about everything... but thats our job :)

Keep us updated.

Im sure it'll all be fine.... ur a great person and gonna have an adorable baby! :D

Best of luck!

xxx

Aww thanks by the looks of the other little one your going to have a cutey too x

I had the test done but the results came back with a really low chance of downs but it said that was mostly cos of my age (25) and the said the result I would of got soley from my age they wouldn't of done any further investigation anyway so I didn't really see the point of having it done. I won't be having it done this time!

A very personal issue this one and I can understand why people decide not to go ahead and have the initial test. I opted to have the triple blood test at 15 weeks (don't do the nuchal scan where I live) not for one second thinking I would hear anything back and I then got a letter to say that the results showed I was in an increased risk group (I am only 30). As some of you may know from my posts, I was an absolute wreck, but decided to go and have the amnio done (again an individual decision) as we felt we needed to know for sure if the baby had downs before we could make a decision on what to do next. I found out today - 10 days after the letter arrived and 6 days after the amnio that everything is ok. What I want to say to anyone who is thinking of having the test is this, please bare in mind that the risk is always there regardless of your age, if you think you would be better off not knowing/it would make no difference to you then don't have it, from speaking to other people, it isn't a particularly reliable test anyway.

I think this sort of test is definately personal choice hun, you need to go with what you want to do. Im having the nuchal fold scan because I personally want to see what my risk factor is, but its really only up to you. Why dont you have a chat to your midife about your concerns huns?

I had a chat with my mw yesterday, she said she totaly undertsands that I don't want to do it and says Im young and its my first so its totaly up to me.

xx

We were given option to go to Bupa and have a nucral screen privately, we have decided to go for the test at 12 weeks instead of waiting for blood test screening at docs between 13-15 weeks for piece of mind

It is purely personal choice, no one can tell you what you should or shouldnt do...you know your own mind and do whatever makes you happy hunny

I am sure all will be well, and you should enjoy a happy and healthy pregnancy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back