downs test?...

laura.roper

Reaction score
hi all... seen the midwife yesterday and she sort of explained the test and said if u fall into the risk factor u will then have the choice for the other test.. who would fall into this catogary? she did say the 2nd test has a very high mc rate so now i dont no weather to have it or not my baby could be healthy then i have the test and mc or i could sit wondering for 8 months has my baby got downs advice please xxx

The first test they do is measure the neck width on your 12 week scan and do a blood test then that will determine whether you are high or low risk. This has no effect whatsoever. Its the ammniocetisis that can cause mc but you would only be offered that if you were high risk xx

You dont even need to think about the 2nd test till u get results of the first hun x

age is a major factor the older you are then the higher risk you would be. Not sure if family history is one but i definately wouldnt worry too much about it hun xx

Family history does and doesnt go against you, I have a sister with downs syndrome and my mum was only 29/30 when she had her... Its about chromosomes and your eggs thats the jist i got...

The amniocentisis only causes a low risk in m/c not a high risk...

Im having my nuchal and dating scan and bloods tomorrow and believe me it could change everything... soo nervous

Its a worry isn't it. I know someone who was told they were at high risk of their baby having Downs at their 12 week scan. They chose not to have an amnio because of the risks, then at their 20 week scan they were told baby was absolutely fine. He's now a healthy 5 year old!

I know they go by neck width and if its above a certain size then they class you as high risk. I also know a lady who was told she was high risk at her 12 week scan but at 20 week scan baby was fine and he was born perfectly healthy. I dont think you should worry too much until you have had results from nuchal scan hun x

Nuchal scan they just check nuchal fold at back of baby neck. They then take bloods an using your age and some other information, they give you a ratio which determines whether you are high or low risk to be carrying a baby with DS.

If they give you a ratio lower than 1:250 they see you as a higher risk. Anything above 1:250 is not high risk. Depending on your dates, if they think you a high risk they will offer you a CVS (which carries a 2% or less chance of mc) or an amnio (which carries a 1% or lower chance of mc).

Pro of a CVS is that it is earlier done than an amnio which gives you more time to
Make a decision if the result comes back that baby does have chromosomal abnormalities!

If this does happen though, believe me, as a woman who is carrying a baby with DS, it really is not the worst thing in the world. It's something that you get use to very easily when you get the news!

To be honest though, you are far more likely to not be carrying a baby with abnormalities. So, if you go for the nuchal scan, try not to worry too much!
Good luck xxx

Hey I only had blood tests to determine whether I was high or low risk, I also posted something like this when I got my results. They said that I was a high risk, it goes by quite a few things, your age, family history and I know if you smoke this comes into it, I'm not sure what else. My OH and I decided not to have the amnio because the small chance of MC. It was the ladies on here who helped me through it ang they explained that it would depend on how you feel about the results too. I decided that even if my baby had downs, I could cope with it so again there was no point in risking it. But when I went to the hosp to talk about my results it turned out they made a mistake with my results and I was actualy a low risk. But don't worry about the tests just now, wait to see what risk you are xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back