OPKs - how many to buy?

milkybar

Reaction score
So thinking of trying opks for next cycle & have a couple of Qs for those who already use them.

- Roughly how many should i buy? Looking at what presumably are the cheap test strip ones on amazon, and they vary between packs of 20 / 30 / 50. How many do you get through each cycle?

- i drink a lot of water in the day but seen on here that doesn't bode well for opks. Probably wouldn't take them to work, so would only use them first thing in the morning and maybe couple of times in evening. Evening pee being more diluted obviously! Is this enough to get a good use out of them/see a result?

I know everyone is different but your experiences on how useful/effective and when you think it works best would be so useful. Thanks for your help!

You shouldn't use your first morning pee, it can give false positives.
I usually buy 50-100 and lasts me a few months, but i test between 3-6 times a day, from cd 13-positive opk (cd18-23).
You can get a positive only doing it a couple times a day but if your surge is short you'll miss it.
I usually test with third pee of the day, then around 2ish then again at 8ish. when i use 6 lol i dont have a particular order i just do them. I don't cut down drinking when doing opks, theyre usually positive enough for me to know.
But it completely up to you whatever you do :D x

So thinking of trying opks for next cycle & have a couple of Qs for those who already use them.

- Roughly how many should i buy? Looking at what presumably are the cheap test strip ones on amazon, and they vary between packs of 20 / 30 / 50. How many do you get through each cycle?

- i drink a lot of water in the day but seen on here that doesn't bode well for opks. Probably wouldn't take them to work, so would only use them first thing in the morning and maybe couple of times in evening. Evening pee being more diluted obviously! Is this enough to get a good use out of them/see a result?

I know everyone is different but your experiences on how useful/effective and when you think it works best would be so useful. Thanks for your help!

Hi Milkybar - lush user name :)

I buy the one step strips from Amazon and bought 30. This is my first cycle using cheapies as before I was using the clear blue expensive one which is fab but got too pricey.

I test twice a day (one with FMU and again when I get home from work). Some say you shouldn't use FMU as it's too concentrated but I have a weak bladder so I can't not drink and hold for 4 hours and usually pee during the early hours of the morning... AND I have had really faint non existent opks with FMU and strong ones so I know it's not false.

My cycles have varied since coming off the CP from 26 days to 52 days so I got 15 days worth to start with (pack of 30) and began testing from CD6.

In the evening you will need to not drink and not pee for 3 hours at least before testing.

The Clear Blue ones are fab as you can use FMU without any debate (don't know why) but if you surge and don't ovulate, you'd miss it with those expensive ones so it's good to do the cheapies every day to see the levels of LH rise and fall the entire cycle. Gives you a better idea of what is going on.

Hope that helps. Bottom line... you can never have enough cheapie opks.

xx

Last edited:
Thanks both for your replies; incredibly useful information. Have just ordered a pack of 50 which i might test 3 per day for 7-8days, so will see how good they work for me for the next 2 cycles.
Prime delivery should arrive tomorrow, which is good timing as according to app this is my fertile weekend, but kind of thinking i've missed this month as got symptoms earlier in the week around CD6-8!?.
So this will be good to have a further nosey at whats going on there!

Now just hope the package doesn't say the company name (fertility something on it) as delivering to my parents house :x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back