Okay!! Let's Move The 'New Mummies!' Section Up a Gear !!!

Wow I go away for anevening and what happens to my forum!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the new arrivals should be seperate - having a baby is a HUGE acheivement to the childbearer and having their own little dedicated section is nicer I think.

Just my thoughts though, don't wanna gang up and say "CHANGE IT!!"

A bit confused with the Summer/Spring thing (waits for the debate on when the seasons really do begin?) but I'm sure in time I will get used to it....not that I'm in the preg bit anymore though!!

Thanks for EVERYTHING you do for the site Laura - this place is my haven.

xxx

Okie, just looked at the seasons section and the months ae stated below it....clever Laura lol!!

It's no problem at all to set the new arrivals section back up, and move all the threads back in there - if anybody else has any suggestions or comments to add please do so below, otherwise I'll set the new arrivals section back up, and add the new toddlers section, later on today.

As you will see, I have started moving some of the old threads into the new sections, and will move more over the next few days. I actually had a free night last night which is why I decided to get moving with it, based on the comments that I had already received, otherwise it may have been a few days before I got chance to jig things around and I didn't want to keep all you new mums waiting!

Anyway, I hope this helps - keep the comments and suggestions coming, on this and any other issues relating to the forum. I still have to fix the auto-login problem, and the chat room - I haven't forgotten - it's just finding the time to do it, but I hope to get both issues fixed over the next few days.

Laura B

Thanks Laura - when you're ready hun we can wait a little while. You have a life to live outside of here - we obviously have too much spare time (just me then??) lmao xx :lol: :lol:

Great job Laura thank you for all your hard work!

IF it was up to me the sections I would choose would be:

New arrivals

Photos etc

Sleep

Feeding

Health

General Parenting.

Toddlers (one question about this though, if we are going to end up talking about toddlers heath/sleep/feeding etc is it really worth having it's own section? The only topic I think toddlers have that babies don't is discipline, which in theory could go in general. I could be wrong and there'd be more that I just can't think of right now, I'm sure someone'll let me know :)

I've noticed the development one doesn't seem to have many topics. I feel this could probably be part of the general discussion one as well..we do need some topics left for us to discuss in general LOL

Please bear in mind I do like the forum as it is aswell and am not moaning about your hard work laura!

xxx

Hi Laura

Wow, that was a surprise when I logged on this morning!! A few changes! I like the spring, summer, etc. expecting bit. As we all know, babies will come when they're ready and not on their due date, so it makes it easier to meet people due the same time now they are clumped together.

Being pg and not a new mummy, I agree with most people who have said that the Announce your New Arrival should have it's own thread. To be honest, I don't very often check the pictures bit. :? When I was ttc, it was sometimes difficult to look at other mummies beaming at their beautiful babies. But I did love to see when they had actually given birth and read their story. Does that make sense? Also, it is a massive
announcement and really should have it's own section.

Apart from that, all is great!!

LauraB said:
Hey Layla,

Can I ask what are your thoughts on the births/pictures section?!!

Come on everyone, I need some feedback here lol - does "less is more" apply here or what :lol:

Bearing in mind that I've still to add a Toddlers section, and haven't yet done a section for discussing equipment, products, services, etc ..... do we still want that?

hi, sorry, only just seen this.

im not sure if any changes have been made, still looks the same as it did last night, i think its great as it is, it now gives mums more options so we dont have to leave as our babies get older :)

people posts pics and there birth stories in the new arrivals section before anyway so i think its fine having them combined together

but its your site hun, put what you want in

xxx

My ISP's down for the day apparently - great :roll:

I'm connected via dial-up, for a few minutes at a time, at the moment but when my ISP has managed to sort itself out I'll be back on, hopefully tonight (or it had better be :evil: )

Thanks again for your input everyone, keep the comments and thoughts coming!

Hi Laura,

I'm not sure I like it :?

I think maybe 'less is more' in this case!!

I don't have time with a newborn to click on every topic at every visit so It's taking me much longer to see what people are posting.

Still having trouble logging on too which messes up my 'View topics since last visit' option.

Sorry :roll: Maybe it'll grow on me!! I'm not a big fan of change fullstop to be honest :lol:

BubbleOne said:
Hi Laura,

I don't have time with a newborn to click on every topic at every visit so It's taking me much longer to see what people are posting.

yeah, that's what I said on the first page... too many and you miss too much.

I seem to have access - for now anyway :lol:

So we pretty much all agree that there should be a separate 'New Arrivals' section?

The 'Development & Play' section - is that really required, or should it be merged with the 'General Discussion & Chit Chat' section?

Toddler section - what do you all think?

what about,

first year with your newborn
Toddler + section
birth arrivals
pictures
health issues

just an idea??

it would break it down a bit, plus, isnt chit chat more of less the same as the off topic section?

I think general mean other baby talk that doesn't fit into a section so it wouldn't be the same as off topic. That's how I understand it anyway.

Layla ... yes, you're right about the chit-chat ... I've changed it to 'General Discussion' now (baby-related topics which don't fit into any of the specific categories). I think we only need one off-topic section on the whole site to be honest, there doesn't seem any point in having one for the TTC ladies, one for the pregnant ladies and one for the new mums. Off-topic obviously means 'not baby-related' and so the existing 'Off Topic' section should cater well for everybody.

Regarding your suggestions, I suppose it depends on how everybody wants to do it. Do we run the sections by age (plus the announcements, pictures, etc) or do we run them by type of issue (eg, feeding, routines, etc). Is one toddler section enough, or will that need splitting too?

This really is proving more difficult than I thought, trying to set up a format that everybody will be happy with! I know it's impossible to please everybody, but at least if we get something sorted out soon then people can still make suggestions afterwards, after we have seen how well the new system works over the coming weeks and months. At the end of the day, no posts are being deleted and they can always be moved around if it is consequently decided that a particular section is not going as well as first expected.

Urchin ... yes, the 'General Discussion' section is intended for all baby and mothering topics which don't fit into any of the other sections.

BubbleOne said:
Hi Laura,

Still having trouble logging on too which messes up my 'View topics since last visit' option.

Sorry :roll: Maybe it'll grow on me!! I'm not a big fan of change fullstop to be honest :lol:
Hi BubbleOne ... I still have the login issue to resolve, sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. Should be very soon, I keep getting other jobs which delay me :oops:

Regarding the time it takes to browse, I suppose if we all make sure that our topic titles are as informative as possible, then anybody browsing a particular section can see 'at a glance' what each topic is about, and can then decide whether they want to read more about it by opening the topic up.

Further comments still welcome regarding anything mentioned so far in this topic :)

Now I have got used to the new layout I do actually like it. It took a while but it has helped me to find the thread I need, i.e. if I am having issues with the feeding I just go straight to that forum and don't need to scroll through lots of other threads. Having said that I didn't mind it the other way either so my feedback is probably useless. Am rambling as am tired so sorry for all the nonsense. Night night x

Hi again everyone :)

Well, after applying a fix a day or two ago, it looks like the logging-in problem is now solved - please see this topic to read all about it and to find out how it applies to you.

Also over the last couple of days, I have re-created the 'Announce Your New Arrival' forum, and also the 'Your Pictures & Stories' forum, and so they are back to normal now as you will probably have already seen.

The chat room is next on my list - a new topic about this has been started here and I will update that topic once I have more information about the situation.

Finally, you may have noticed that the former 'Helpful Information to Get You Started' forum has now been renamed to 'Getting Started & Technical Support'- all of the previous topics have been kept in here, however this is now the place where I will post about any current technical issues, so that you all have an idea of what is going on at any time.

Hope this helps - I also hope you all like the new sections, and if you have any problems using the forums don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Best wishes,
Laura B

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back