Oh What A Night

DebbieM

Reaction score
I was happily sitting watching Jamie Oliver last night when Barney, our dog, decided to throw up. Nice.

Didn't think too much more about it and decided to come upstairs to bed to watch Die Hard 4. It got to about 10.30pm and there goes Barney again... throwing up. STRESS!

Now, anyone that knows me will know that I cannot handle my dog being ill. I am terrible. It stresses me out big time - he's been my baby for 9 years and last year he became very poorly and it started off as sickness. ( http://debbieuk.wordpress.com/2007/07/04/barney-rubble/ )

So we ended up in the garden at 11pm cleaning his bed and goodness knows what else. He had been sick on his paws and now today I need to clean the carpets (which I was going to anyway as we bought a new Bissell the other night).

What I can't get over is how stressed I got. I was terrible. Worse than usual. I ended up with the shakes, diarrhea and feeling like I really needed to vomit. It's as if when I stress out to that point that my body wants to shut down and just sleep. I nodded off for about 20 minutes so didn't see th end of the film and then nodded off for about 10 minutes whilst Matt was touching my belly (to try and calm me down with a cuddle) once the TV was off.

I didn't sleep ALL NIGHT (literally), so I am taking the day off work today. I have stuff to get on with and work is quite slack anyway (thankfully) so hopefully they won't miss me too much - I just can't handle it today!

What is wrong with me people? I even used my Bach's last night (several times) but I think I was just TOO stressed for it to do anything. Ridiculous!

I think... well, I know, that my Mum was a total stress head too and I inherited it from her. Part of last night, I reckon, was the fear of Barney being ill and me going into labour. I just don't know how I would cope. I'd be a wreck if I had to leave him at home poorly. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thankfully, this morning he has seemed fine so fingers crossed it was a one off and he will be ok. He seems a bit peeved at only getting boiled ricce and chicken for breakfast but he should know the score by now! No big dinners til his belly is back to normal.

I shall go hide in a corner now... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Aww bless you :hug:

Maybe he had just eaten something iffy. I used ti have a Westie and he had a really delicate tum and anything slightly different to what he used to eat would play him up.

I'm sure he will be fine

Flump and I were having a little play while you were asleep. ;)

aw, sounds like stress and over-tiredness to me hon. you need to slow down and look after yourself - keep your feet up today!! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

:hug: :hug:

From the sounds of it Barney will perk up and be fine in no time. Dogs vomiting is very common and only occasionally does it indicate other underlying problems. And then usually has to go on for a prolonged period. An evening of throwing up probably meant he nibbled something he should not have or else he picked up a mild tummy bug.

Did he mow the lawn for you after being sick? Dogs eat grass as its a natural way for them to try to settle their tummys. They may bring it up again later, but it does help soothe an upset tum. Mine is like a cow and munches masses. She is one of those dogs who eats *everything* and therefore pays the price with bad guts from time to time.

And try not to stress about going into labour and Barney being poorly. I'm sure that won't be the case :) Is there anyone who can come sit with him or check on him? Help put your mind at rest. My mother has taken 2 weeks off work around my due date and is taking our doglet (who adores my mother and gets spoilt rotten :roll: ). I'm happy to keep her here also, but feel she'd enjoy the break and it would give us time to ourselves without having to worry about Daisy - who will be having the time of her life. Sleeping on the bed, company of two other dogs, lots of cuddles... she won't want to come back :lol:

blame the hormones hunni, their the route of all evil. hope your feeling better. your about to go through massive changes in your life, things are gonna be a bit strange for your body. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sherlock said:
:hug: :hug:

From the sounds of it Barney will perk up and be fine in no time. Dogs vomiting is very common and only occasionally does it indicate other underlying problems. And then usually has to go on for a prolonged period. An evening of throwing up probably meant he nibbled something he should not have or else he picked up a mild tummy bug.

Did he mow the lawn for you after being sick? Dogs eat grass as its a natural way for them to try to settle their tummys. They may bring it up again later, but it does help soothe an upset tum. Mine is like a cow and munches masses. She is one of those dogs who eats *everything* and therefore pays the price with bad guts from time to time.

And try not to stress about going into labour and Barney being poorly. I'm sure that won't be the case :) Is there anyone who can come sit with him or check on him? Help put your mind at rest. My mother has taken 2 weeks off work around my due date and is taking our doglet (who adores my mother and gets spoilt rotten :roll: ). I'm happy to keep her here also, but feel she'd enjoy the break and it would give us time to ourselves without having to worry about Daisy - who will be having the time of her life. Sleeping on the bed, company of two other dogs, lots of cuddles... she won't want to come back :lol:

Yeah, he seems ok. Thank goodness. Matt's just taken him for a walk... sorry, Barney has just taken Matt for a walk! Let's get that right!

He loves to eat "floor food" as we call it and Matt always has his fingers down Barney's throat when they're out. He's been like it since I got him. He's bad for it.

Unfortunately, there isn't anyone who could come and be with him when I do go into labour :( It has been and still is one of my biggest worries, especially since I could be in labour for hours. I know I will just sit and whittle about him being alone etc... He's a dog that loves company and hates change. He's adapting quite well to all the recent changes but us being away for extended periods will likely upset him a bit.

Of course, my sister or her OH will come and put his food down and let him out etc, but that will be all. They have 3 kids and their lives are hectic enough.

I'm just very possessive over Barney. Even Matt is lucky that he get's to do so much with him. When he first moved here, I wouldn't even allow him to take Barney on walks alone as I was terrified he would get off the lead or something. (Stress head LOL) I guess I just love him so much, as you do a child as he has been a massive part of my life for so long. He's seen me through some very tough times and in some ways I see him as having been sent from my Mum to look after me and guide me. I know it sounds stupid but it's what I take comfort in which is maybe why I have such a bond with him?

Anyway, enough droning on... I'm sorry to say I am NOT relaxing LOL! So far I have cleaned all the windows and I am in the middle of cleaning carpets now.

Matt did just come downstairs and say "Just an observation, but you DO realise you're almost 38 weeks pregnant, don't you?"

Er yes, I realise... Ask my back and pelvis LOL!

And before anyone says anything... I chose to do it all and won't let him help. He's not making me :D

paradysso said:
blame the hormones hunni, their the route of all evil. hope your feeling better. your about to go through massive changes in your life, things are gonna be a bit strange for your body. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Oh, and I have decided... I HATE hormones! LOL :rotfl:

gosh debbie your so brave working to the end i take my hat off to you! hope barneys better soon...

Aww poor you. Have some :hug: :hug: :hug: Hope Barney's on the mend. I'm sure he'll be fine while you're in labour and bringing him back a lil rug rat to play with will be the best present ever. My friend's dog sees her 12 month old as the mobile treat machine now and they're best friends. One drops, the other hoovers up :rotfl:

You take it easy a bit lady and get that bump rested :hug:

Thanks Lisa. I SO wish I didn't have to work. Working from home has it's advantages and also it's disadvantages too unfortunately...

At least today I haven't been tied to the laptop, which has been nice. I've been able to check in periodically and get on with other things that I have been wanting to do for a while :cheer:

Hopefully I won't be working much longer anyway if this little one decided to make an earlier entrance! :pray: :pray:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back