Odhrans feeds

FebMum2Be

Reaction score
He is draining 7oz bottles, and this still doesnt seem to satisfy him.. Last night he cried and cried when his feed finished, I had to give him more he was trying to get everything into his mouth.. He ended up taking 8 and a half :shock: he is only young my health visitor didn't even want me upping his feeds to 6, but I can't leave him hungry.. He isn't even going 4 hours sometimes, maybe going to suggest a heavier feed for him? Any advice? I am still a bit clueless about things :oops:

Maybe feed more often ? Lily as never been a big feeder but we fed every 3 hrs , also they say if they are draining every bottle then up it a oz maybe he is going thru a growth spurt , Jake at 6 wks would breast feed for 45mins then take 5oz of top up formula there was no filling him x

Is he still like this? :D

When you say bottles is this expressed or formula? If formula what brand? Have you considered the hungrier baby stage?

x

He is still draining the bottles, and sometimes just going 4 hours.. It's now formula, he was breastfed/expressed the first week but unfortunatly it didn't work out.. He is on SMA gold atm, I have seen the heavier feed I think it's a blue tin.. I didn't know how to go about it though? Do I still give him the 7 or would he be given less oz's? Thanks for getting back x

You've definately ruled out a growth then if its been a while.

How often is he having a bottle? Is there a routine over a 24 hours period? I can only answer then what I hav done or would do but my Megan moved to hungrier milk (cow and gate in our case).

x

There isn't a textbook feeding routine.. Sometimes he wants his feed maybe only after 2-3 hours, when he always went 4, I mentioned this to midwives that were coming to see him but they all tell me different things, one says make an extra ounce, another says he should be only on 5 for his weight, age, and time between feeds, another says he shouldn't be draining a bottle.. And my favourite (I explained after finishing a bottle (when he was on 6) that he was crying for more, hands in mouth, trying to get everything into his mouth) she said "well he is only a baby he doesnt know what else to do.. Babies cry and do these things", I felt like telling her where to stick it.. I know my own son and it just wasn't enough for him.. But after all of the mixed info I'm just unsure of what to do, up the feed or change foods?

ella usuall only goes 3 hours between feeds, but thankfully sleeps thru now! i would just go wtih feeding on demand tbh, when he cries for it give him it, no matter what he takes. i was advised against using hungry baby milks but i cant remember why!! i think its because it fills them up, but isnt giving them as much nutrients as they'd get if they filled up on "normal" milk. dunno, could be wrong lol! and i cant believe how old he is now, time's proper flown!!

SMA gold didn't satisfy my boys for long if i'm honest. I just changed the milk to the SMA white (blue top). Maybe start him on 6oz of the blue top and see how he goes. I don't think you can judge how much they 'should' be taking at a certain age and weight because just like adults, babies have varying appetites. Let him guide you on how much he needs. Good luck xx

My DD was on a strict routine because she was prem and when I got her home I found my breast milk just wasn't enough so was topping her up. When my milk supply stopped *fights back tears* we only managed about a week on ordinary formula before we had to go onto the hungry baby feed. She was around 6 - 7 weeks but was born at 33 + 3.
My m/w gave me a right rollicking but she was much more satisfied by her feeds...

That post probably didnt help at all :lol:

Thanks Simone, it helped indeed :) It's good to know that mums do their own things.. Those midwives make you feel like there are guidelines you should be following.. :hug:

Alice, when I seen your ticker saying Ella was 4 weeks I was thinking the same thing, its scary thinking now my wee mans at that stage! Every baby really is different then.. Its good to know but cos as I say you kind of get things drilled into you

& Toon, were your boys big? Odhráns built like a tank and he is strong as a bull.. His daddy is a big lad too... 6"3 and broad.. He is taking after him, maybe he's just a bigger boy with a big appetite

x x x

they were both 7lb odd but My 2nd baby is a big lad, not chubby but big. He is 9 month old and wearing 12-18 month old clothes, he still eats like a horse. He eats often rather than big meals and sleeps 14 hours straight on a night xx

its mad how quick they grow up isnt it!! and they really are all different, at ella's age, katie had already been on baby rice a couple of weeks cos she was so hungry! although i had a moment when i thought sh!t earlier when she drained 7oz and screamed for more less than 2 hours later!! i want my babies to stay babies forever!!

YAY more answers for you :D

Anyway we fed on demand for a while ...but then we startd spacing it out to 3 hours and then 4 hourly IF sleping we would not wake. My HV had a fit we left her 7 hours without a bottle and said I should wake ....erm nope sorry Im not doing that she was getting more than her recommended in 24 hours and was also finishing her bottles then yes as time went Id up an ounce (as she grew older).

Does he sleep through or??

Go with your gutt - Consider sleeping pattern, recommeneded milk needed and go with that? More than recommended is no harm but personally I would start the hourly rather than demand - Again thats me and may not be your gutt instinct for your baby?

x

We always fed on demand gun just let him dictate! Jack never went 4 hours at this stage I was lucky to get 2.5

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back