Not what I wanted to hear!! Appointment at fertility clinic

mid

Reaction score
Ok so today was my appointment with the consultant. I had gone with the hope of receiving my prescription for clomid and being told go and make a baby, BUT this did not happen!

So we fill out forms with basic information which they already have, this takes 10 mins. He then tells my partner that he must stop smoking otherwise the trust will not treat us at the clinic as his sperm count was slightly lower than they would expect. They want 15mil he had 10mil :eh:

Ok so not so bad, then he asks me when was the last time you had bloods done!! "Last year" my response..... He then tells me that I need to have all my bloods done again today and me and OH need virology tests completed....END OF APPOINTMENT!!

What a waste of my time, why wasn't we asked to do these test prior to today's apt??? :evil: To make matters worse I then go and see the receptionist who tells me that my next apt will be on 28th November!!! :shakehead:

Really peaved!! OH is back for another SA in sept as they want to see an improvement (I guess checking to see if he has stopped smoking lol...). So now it looks like I wont be having a BFP in 2011!! :sad:

RANT FOR THE DAY!!

Last edited:
It is disappointing when you feel that you have reached a certain point and the doctors have other ideas :(

They are really strict on the criteria for offering treatment too - your partner won't be able to cheat on the smoking because they pull a carbon monoxide reader out and it'll give him away.

I had to repeat my smear test after 6 months had past which was pretty pointless because i was clear last time and the only way i would have caught and STI since would be if i or hubby would have had sexual contact with someone else :oooo:

Just keep on phoning them, asking for any appointment that have become available.

Oh sorry Hun, that's a long time to wait till novemeber. I agree they should have asked you in before now for pre-appointment tests/bloods etc , but I guess they had to find out about the smoking thing first to give OH a shot at stopping.

My freind was refered for clomid, and then they told her she will have to loose weight first before she gets it as they are blaming it on that as she did fall pregnant when smaller earlier on, but has been TTC since for the last 3 years with no luck. It's not very fair as she only put on the weight after being upsnet about having the MC.

Hang in there, do what Louise said and pester them, until they let you come back earlier and keep an eye on your OH to make sure he does give up straight away ready for it.

I think keep trying between now and then, and you just don't know what could happen before november by itself...

oh no! i was so hoping for good results , my partner smokes too so this may be a possibility for us then and i may not get what i need until he sorts this out to be honest i keep asking him to stop just for ttc , i suppose i'll lay this on thick to him and use you as an example to try and push my point, its no good me doing everything if he wont too .

Well all you can do is opk and BD BD BD and FX in some sort of hope that you get lucky x x x

Sorry you've had a a nightmare Hun, my advice is give up on the NHS now, don't let them send you round in circles, if its clomid you need it shouldn't be too expensive to get privately.

xx

Thanks for the replies ladies!!

Well he did stop smoking for 3 weeks but when we moved in April that went to pot!! It's so annoying because he was upset that he has to give up smoking!! WTF... He said he will do it for me, but it's not just about me, it's for his own benefit too. I really hope he can sort it out as I'll be devestated if I cannot receive fertilty treatement because of his bad habit!! Kirstymichelle, stress the importance of this to your partner!! Really didn't realise that they could test. Thanks for the heads up LouiseB!!

I'm gonna get onto them but the receptionist is an old school friend and I really don't want to be horrible to her...lol!! She'll obviosly know it's me...but actually just thought that she may be able to help me :wink:

This is such an emotional journey!! I really don't want this take over my life so for now I'll just take things as they come I guess. I feel like I shoukd do some more research about what other pre-medication things they do or need me to do so when I go on 28th Nov im 100% prepared.

Maybe Baby - I've never considered that option. I think I may just follow that route if I get messed around on my next apt.

Sorry to hear you are not having much luck with the NHS, my first appointment was a nurse asking questions and then she wanted to do STI screening althogh I told her I had it done a month before. She didnt even know what she was prescribing me, I am not kidding.
If you can, do go private, it makes such a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back