No show of milk

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by SAHF, Jan 19, 2016.

1. SAHF

SAHF Well-Known Member

I'm a week overdue today and I've had no leakage at all throughout my pregnancy. I've been using my Weleda Nursing Oil, something I already planned to use but midwife also recommended esp as I got closer to my due date. She also suggested trying to express to bring on labour. But I've had not a single drop. Is that normal or does it mean I'm likely to struggle with breastfeeding?

2. Phoenix85

Phoenix85 Well-Known Member

There's a nack to hand expressing. You need a lot of the areola and gently squeeze downwards towards the nipple. You may have more luck if you google it (diagrams will make more sense).

You won't get milk until after your baby is born. At the moment it's a clear liquid called colostrum and only a few drops at a time.

If you can't express any, don't panic, your baby will be able to.

3. SAHF

SAHF Well-Known Member

I've heard a lot of people 'leak' during pregnancy and I know not everyone does, but now that I'm overdue as well I got a bit worried that literally nothing seems to be happening! I will have a Google, thank you :)

4. Shepherdess

Shepherdess Well-Known Member

I went a week over and I never leaked at all, now I've been ebf 8 months! Don't panic

5. SAHF

SAHF Well-Known Member

Ah that's so reassuring to hear, thank you! I really want to EBF for 12 months if I can.

6. beanie5

beanie5 Well-Known Member

Think a lot of the time milk comes in around day 3/4 after baby is born- that's what the midwives told me and mine came in around then

7. Nutsyputs

Nutsyputs Well-Known Member

I went overdue with both mine and ebf them both. There is defiantly a neck to hand expressing. There's videos on you tube.

8. SAHF

SAHF Well-Known Member

Yeh I know it takes a few days for it to come in but because many experience leaking during pregnancy and I'm now 8 days over and still nothing, I got a little worried! :)

9. Maud

Maud Well-Known Member

Your body knows it hasn't given birth yet so won't start making milk yet. Whether or not you leak during pregnancy has no connection to how easy you will find breastfeeding so don't worry yourself. Once baby is born your hormones and letting baby suckle regularly will bring your milk in.

10. russellmuscle

russellmuscle Well-Known Member

I went 14 days over with Jackson but didnt pass any milk or leak until he was born.

xxxx

#10 russellmuscle, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  11. beanie5

beanie5 Well-Known Member

think they said it was something to do with hormones released when baby suckles on your colostrum rather than going to term :)

12. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

As others have said, your milk probably won't come in til day 3 after birth anyway so don't worry. I never leaked during pregnancy but I'm still BFing my 14 month old