Expressing milk

OopsyDaisy

Reaction score
It's still early days for me when it comes to breastfeeding, my LO is just 1 week old, but I'm finding it a strain to provide breastfeeds on demand, especially at nights. I had a go at expressing the other day as I was getting an engorged breast, and was amazed at how easy it was. Is it a bad idea to feed all my breast milk via expressing, as I've noticed many women only express if away from home/at work/away from baby?

Hiya, I started expressing early on too as I was so full but I only did it when I was full not as a general routine. I put mine in the fridge and gave myself time off on a 3am feed :) or let Nat do a feed so he didn't feel left out... it's great to give yourself some time off, and good to see in measurements on a bottle just how much milk they're having. But... I'll try and find a website as I don't think I know how to explain it, but I think expressing all the time makes your milk supply lower because it confuses the let down reflex that you get when your baby cries and wants to feed..? I can't explain properly and don't quote me on that... I'll find a link... but I'm sure it's something to do with the let down reflex why you probably shouldn't do it all the time.. :think:

edit- can't easily find a link :( sure there will be someone on here that will know the answer though.

Congratulations on the birth of your little one - dont know if it is a girl or a boy, as you didnt mention. Glad you are both well, anyway.

As far as the b/f is concerned, i do suggest that you combine and persevere with the actual breastfeeding of your baby, not only for the reasons statred by leckershell, but also because it is such a special bonding with your child. You may not really be noticing this yet, as you are probably still exhausted from the birth, but as time goes by you will see how special these moments are, with your little one.
For now i would express some feeds so you can rest, but continue with feeding. I think you will be happy you did.

:hug:
Lisa

In what way are you finding it hard? I found it really painful for about 2 weeks and was close to giving up on more than one occasion.

If it's painful because you're too full then expressing milk will only stimulate your breasts to produce more.

I don't know what the guidelines are for expressing all your feeds but I'm sure it is possible. I would have thought that it's harder work than breastfeeding though.

I had to express on top of b feeding when i had my son as he had jaundice and belive me it is worth persevering with the b feeding alone..it is so nice not to have to have to wash steralise express just to feed when you can just stick LO on the boob.This is eap great at night..It does get easier

They advise not to express before 3 weeks to get your milk established properly

I couldn't feed Samuel as he was so tiny (Prem) so i expressed i found it so easy i never breast fed i just expressed 3 times a day in the end my freezer was full lol i stopped at 9 weeks and still had enough for 3 weeks in the freezer then towards end started giving half and half formula to get him used to it hope thid helps :)

Thanks for all your replies. I did some research too, and the gist of the information I found sounds like what leckershell has mentioned.
I have decided to use expressed milk for night time feeds (given by OH), which has helped out a lot, enabling me to catch a little more sleep and I think OH felt good being able to help me out too. I will persevere with the BF for now! Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back