Next midwife app and GTT

robtans1st

Reaction score
Hey,

i've got a midwife app on thurs, was asked to book it for after my anomoly scan but had to leave it a week or so as we were on holiday. Just wondered if anyone could tell me what to expect? I'm supposing its just a routine heartbeat check etc?? Also do you think I will be weighed? I havent been since my 12 week scan so curious as to what I have put on :S Will I get my MATB1 form at this one too as i am getting close to dates i have to give my mat leave details in?

Also, June 22nd i'm due to go to hospital for a GTT, does anyone know what
this entails?? All i know is i will be there for 2 hours. Quite cheeky as I wouldnt class a 14/16 as being obese! but suppose its all for my own good!!

Any help would be great

Tanya x

I have GTT as well and I am not obese, bug measured 2 cm more at my last appointment. You can get your MATB from mw of GP.

I've got to do the glucose tolerance test too, mine is 23rd June, its a right mare I can't eat after 10pm night before, no chewing gum or anthjng, then I have a finger prick test and a blood test then I have to down a bottle of lucozade (yuk) then sit for 2 hours and have another blood test!!! I'm dreading it!!!!!

Thats exactly what I had been told I will have to do but wanted to double check! First day of my holiday too so nice start to that. Cant even use it as an excuse to get the morning off work! I'm not liking the sound of the glucose drink at all!!! I like lucozade but only the lemon one lol Is this a new test they have brought in as my sister hasnt had it with any of her 3 girls??

I got a leaflet about my gtt it says:
Do not eat or drink from 10pm previous evening, do not use chewing gum or mouth freshness, do not smoke from 10pm prev evening.
do drink plain water before or during test, bring 500mls original lucozade, bring book/mag to read and a small snack for after completion of test, allow 3 hours for parking.

on arrival a finger pricked and blood sample will be taken, you will be given a measured amount of lucozade, sit quietly for 2 hrs to ensure test is accurate, after 2 hrs a further blood sample will be taken, results will be informed over phone that afternoon.

Thats exactly what I had been told I will have to do but wanted to double check! First day of my holiday too so nice start to that. Cant even use it as an excuse to get the morning off work! I'm not liking the sound of the glucose drink at all!!! I like lucozade but only the lemon one lol Is this a new test they have brought in as my sister hasnt had it with any of her 3 girls??

I hate original lucozade, reminds me of being ill :( I don't know it might be new I've never heard of it before, I'm just hoping its ok, one more bloody test result to dread!!!!

Oh well thats nice of my hospital to keep me informed!! I got nothing like that just a letter stating the date, time and where!! Wonder if i should call to double check? or even ask midwife on Thurs. Are you due to see yours anytime soon or have you already been?

I saw midwife at 16 weeks then dont see her again until 24 weeks, but I got to see a consultant straight after my 20 week scan and he booked me in for the gtt and explained it all, also told me I'd need an appt with anaethatist to put together an emergency anesthetic plan for when I'm in labour, because of my history of dvt and the blood thinning injections I'm on, also cos my bmi is high. He also gave me my matb1 form, good job really cos if I'd had to wait for midwife apt it would be too late for my work!!! Make sure when u see her u ask for your matb1 form incase she forgets!!

tbh my midwife has been useless, only saw one at 8 weeks and 16 weeks so literally only twice so far, and it was a different one each apt, and been told got a new one for my 24 week apt, they don't tell me anything when I see them anyway!! I'd give them a ring about your gtt just incase they want you to do anything different?

Thats top of my list of things to ask! My doctors have been useless so after this appointment i'm moving to the one my OH is at. Its just around the corner from us so will be so much easier once little man is here for check ups etc.

I have had nothing like that, saw midwife at 16 weeks and was told to make an appointment for just after my 20 week scan but at that point we hadnt had the date through yet so she said just to make it for the week after im back off my hols then when i got the scan date through i also received the gtt letter. I'll ask on thurs, i'm sure someone will be willing to give me some info....although i think you have given me more than they ever will! Thank you!

Have you decided when you will be on mat leave etc? my dates are slowly creeping more and more closer :)

No probs hon :)

I leave work on 5th Aug then taking 12 days hol, then 7 days for bankhols accrued whilst I'm on mat leave, then my official mat leave starts 2nd Sept, I can't wait!!!!

around the same as me then, as ill be starting mine the beginning of aug taking 2 and a half weeks holiday then officially starting mat leave. It cant come quick enough for me. I have been off for 10 days and its my first day back tomorrow...im dreading it! Atleast I know ill have someone to keep me company when i start mat leave!

You lucky girls being able to drink Lucozade, I have to drink a really thick glucose syrup which my friend said was disgusting and she kept urging. I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Does everyone have to do this test?!!! its the first I have heard of it!!

I think it depends on your medical history or bmi hon, im only having it cos they say I have a high bmi so that puts me at risk of pregnancy diabetes or something like that so the test is to check for how your body copes with glucose. If it hasnt been mentioned to you then its probably because your midwife doesn't think you need it because your weight or history is fine?

You lucky girls being able to drink Lucozade, I have to drink a really thick glucose syrup which my friend said was disgusting and she kept urging. I'm not looking forward to it at all.

OMG poor you, I would so barf if they forced that on me!!! I think my hospital is so tight they'd rather you bought and brought in your own stuff lol!!! Can u not take a bottle lucozade just incase and ask if you could use it as a substitute?

I think it depends on your medical history or bmi hon, im only having it cos they say I have a high bmi so that puts me at risk of pregnancy diabetes or something like that so the test is to check for how your body copes with glucose. If it hasnt been mentioned to you then its probably because your midwife doesn't think you need it because your weight or history is fine?

My BMI is questionable at 29, well it was 29 its bound to be a lot higher now!!!:)

It was only mentioned to me when I saw the consultant at my 20 wk scan so maybe if you need it they'll mention it at your next apt? Or just send you a letter like they did robtans1st? Hopefully you won't need it :)

My dad has diabetes so they suggested I get tested. I ended up having the test twice! Seeing as bloody hosp forgot to send my first test off. With mine had to stop eating and drinking at 8pm day before. Next day got to hosp and they did a finger prick test to check initial level then when that's fine they took bloods. Gave me an orange drink which I downed and then sat for two hours then they take bloods again! All done ;)

I was shocked to have the GTT as they never did it with my first pregnancy in 2006 and was gutted when my test came back as having diabetes!!! Real shocker!!!
I managed through the help of a diabetic nurse, ended up with insulin injections and a managed healthy diet which I think actually did me some good as I only put on 9lbs.
I had a healthy 7lb 6oz boy delivered by planned section at 38 weeks gestation. All ended well and now diabetes free!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back