new to all if this x

Gizzy Kelly

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I am new to all if this . My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 2 years. I have had all the tests done ie blood tests, scans, and they cannot find anything wrong. I know i ovulate every month, i don't have fibroids, endometriosis, poly cystic ovaries my amh is 19 i have been told the lining to my womb is good. I paid to have the tests done at Harley street just to make sure. My periods are regular. I just wondered whether there is anything else i can do? I have bought the ovulation strips and have accupunture, starting reflexology this week. I feel so frustrated. I am now waiting for a referal on the NHS but hear so many stories about waiting lists. Dies anyone have any advice or tips please? Am I missing something????

Hi! Welcome!

Im new to all this also, this is only my first month trying so I can not give you as much advise at the rest of the girls but wanted to say welcome and let you know what I do if it helps at all.

I take the pregnacare conception tablets (and my bf takes the ones for men)
I am using a Clear Blue Fertility Monitor (what tells you the days before as well as your ovulation days)
I use a lubicant that says it helps the sperm to swim
I put my legs up aginst the wall after intercourse
Im TRYING to eat healthy (as per inforamiton from NHS diet nurse)
Im making sure on fertilile and peak days that no saliva is involved as read on websites this can be harmful to sperm
Also i found info on website saying not to have sex everyday as the sperm need time to restore so every other or every three days is best

As i am new if anyone thinks or knows any of the above is incorrect please let me know! As I might be getting it wrong :(

Sounds like you have done the right thing and had tests done, actully sounds like you are trying everyting with also doing the accupunture and reflexology! what different test are they going to do for you through the NHS if you have already had tests done at Harley Street?

Im sure you will get lots of useful information over the next few days on here so fx for you! :) x

Last edited:
Thanks Pink Butterfly,

I am sure the NHS tests will be the same but i did not want to wait any longer as I am 32 and want to get on with it. I am using the Pre Seed as well and will go and buy the Clear Blue later on today as I have only been using the strips you can get which are cheaper. Will let you know how I get on this month, just so frustrated after 2 years. xx It sounds like you are doing all the right things as well. hanks for the info xxx

Well im 36 so I know what you mean....wasnt worried about my age before I was trying to get pregnant but am now!

Yeah a friend bought me the CBFM as she done some research on line (she is a bit of a geek....she is guna kill me when she reads this) :lol: and as the monitor tells you your high days 1-5 days before your peak days (ov days) and the sperm can last up to 5 days it gives you a higher chance of getting the days right.

If you dont mind me asking what tests did they do and how much does it cost? Im looking looking at going down that road yet as its my first month trying but handy for myself (and others to know)?

Lube - Yeah a lot of ppl have said the preseed is good, I am using the Conceive + from boots

Monitor - If you are thinking of getting one I think the cheapest place is Amazon or you can get second hand ones from Ebay (you might not like that idea but you can clean them and re-set them)

Let me know how it goes.... :) x

No not at all. The test was done at Harley Street and it cost me £200.00 it was called a Fertility MOT and the clinic is called Create Health. They were really good and told me about the lining to my womb how my ovaries are, whether there are any fibroids, endometriosis etc. They also did a blood test which cost more to show AMH levels. I feel much better now they have told me that nothing is standing out as wrong. Thanks for the info on the monitors I will look into this. What is the NHS diet???? My husband is having the sperm tests done now, so hopefully they will be ok. Speak soon xx

Hi Gizzy kelly

Welcome, this is the best forum for advice and top tips.

I am also using the fertility monitor
Taking a high dose of evening primrose oil (to increase the fertile mucus to help sperm swim) I take this up until ovulation
Taking folic acid
Staying laying down after doing the deed with pillow under hips to help the little fellas go where they should

This is my plan for this month and I did all of this on the month I got my positive, I miscarried unfortunately but I believe the evening primrose oil is what helped me to get preggers as that was the first month of taking it.
I hope you get your positive soon. Are you near ovulation now? xx

Last edited:
Hey lisey27 (my CBFM buddy)

We might have another CBFM user soon if Gizzy does decide to get one! :)

Gizzy - Did you say you was using the Ov sticks at the moment, a lot of women on this site are using them but (not sure) i think they are tell you when you are ov not the fertile days before...unless i am wrong??

lisey27 - Yeah I was told about evening primrose oil tablets....you should only take them from the first day of your cycle to the day you ov - is that right? Do you know why that is??

Folic Acid is a good one - that is in the pregnacare conceive tablets that im taking, but dont think evening primerose is in the tablets so im defo going to also look into them!

hehe I think we all either lay on our backs with a pillow under our hips or put our legs up the wall, the things we do when we are :ttc: x

Last edited:
Thanks Lisey... sorry but can I ask what CBFM means? I am trying to get my head around all of these abbreviations. I know that TTC is trying to conceive??

Thanks.. and yes I also take 1000mg of evening primrose oil. I was taking it anyway this month as I have been told it is good for hormonal balance bu I am pleased to hear it is good up to ovulation :)

I am sorry to hear about your miscariage :-( that is very sad after a positive. I hope you are ok.

Yes I am about to ovulate (hopefully fingers crossed) tomorrow.... :) I am also taking pregnacare.

Thanks Pink Butterfly... it is nice to talk to other girls.

Gizzy xx

Gizzy - Hi and welcome!

I am not in the same boat as I am only pretty new to this whole TTC business (I am of similar age though)

Has you OH been tested? Not sure if you have already mentioned this?

Sounds like everything looks good but gosh this must be a test of patience for you? I am sure you will win in the end though!

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Hi Carnatt 22... thanks for the message .. what does OH mean??? sorry I am trying to work out these abbreviations? xxx

No not at all. The test was done at Harley Street and it cost me £200.00 it was called a Fertility MOT and the clinic is called Create Health. They were really good and told me about the lining to my womb how my ovaries are, whether there are any fibroids, endometriosis etc. They also did a blood test which cost more to show AMH levels. I feel much better now they have told me that nothing is standing out as wrong. Thanks for the info on the monitors I will look into this. What is the NHS diet???? My husband is having the sperm tests done now, so hopefully they will be ok. Speak soon xx
£200 that sounds good for a full MOT, its good to know that if needed you can get checked out fully and where good places are to go....

Its a diet through the NHS and its free (well not sure if free or they do it in all areas) I go ones a week to a location near me and speak to a consultant about what I am eating, I get weighed and have a diet book. You have to eat quite a lot on it. I havent got a lot to lose (well not major lot) but thought it was worth doing as losing weight can help to conceive and its free....BONUS! X

Thanks x

Last edited:
I did the legs in the air thing but i had my legs apart and then i remembered that sperm can get killed by oxygen. So i am hoping our BD'ing last night wasnt for nothing :(

anyway... we are just having sex every night and when IT ARRIVES (grrrr) we will use the conception friendly lube too :)

this is my first month of TTC but if that doesnt work i will be doing evening primrose oil also :) (mind you i might start using that anyway... it sounds great :p )

Hi Carnatt 22... thanks for the message .. what does OH mean??? sorry I am trying to work out these abbreviations? xxx

Means your Other Half (as in partner or hubby!)

LOL - I still have to google the meaning of an abbreviation on here at least once a day :)

I did the legs in the air thing but i had my legs apart and then i remembered that sperm can get killed by oxygen. So i am hoping our BD'ing last night wasnt for nothing :(

anyway... we are just having sex every night and when IT ARRIVES (grrrr) we will use the conception friendly lube too :)

this is my first month of TTC but if that doesnt work i will be doing evening primrose oil also :) (mind you i might start using that anyway... it sounds great :p )

Yep I'll be hitting the evening primrose oil if I get my period this month.

Ironically I used to use it for PMT but stopped when I got pregnant back in May.

Only found out recently it is good for TTC. :)

Last edited:
Evening primrose oil shouldnt be used after ovulation because it can cause uterine contractions which wouldnt be good if you were pregnant so thats why only up to ov time.

The Ov sticks tell you when you are about to ovulate. 12-36 hours after the positive result. xx

CBFM means clearblue fertility monitor xx

so when your actually ovulating, the sticks are negative?

This is something I am confused about too!! I know you can get a positive result for a couple of days so maybe once it goes neg you have ovulated? OPK's do confuse me a bit thats why I got the monitor.

Hopefully there will be someone on here that knows more about it :) xx

I have not used the OPK's so cant really comment but (so far) i think the CBFM is good, suppose it depends if you get on with the OPK's or not....might be worth giving the CBFM a go?

Whateve you decide keep us updated and good luck! :dust:

so when your actually ovulating, the sticks are negative?

Yes. Here's my pic for CD 16 and CD 17. I ovulated on CD 17 and you can see it's fainter. The line on the opk (when as dark as the control, or as close as possible in my case with these ICs) is the surge of Luteanising Hormone, which cause you to ovulate 12-48 hours later. Once the surge has gone you've already ovulated.

Attachments

• CD4 OPK CD1617.jpg
    CD4 OPK CD1617.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members