need some help with workwear... :(

leckershell

Reaction score
This might sound like a stupid question but I'm being honest... I need help with workwear. Sorry, I didn't know which board to put this in.

I have always gotten in trouble at work in my evaluations for dressing too dressy or too casual.

I tend to stick with black trousers or there's a few mid length skirts I wore which looked quite work wise too, but I really struggle with tops. I have a brown shirt which is perfect, but I don't like a lot of shirts because the buttons or the cut on them make me look like I have no figure at all, and especially white shirts because I don't like having everyone knowing what shape my bra is underneath or looking like a school girl with the black trousers. I used to just wear strap tops and a black cardi to cover up the fact that they have no sleeves, but I was told it looks too obvious that it's not workwear.

So... since shops stilll have sale stuff in, do you have any suggestions? I need a proper work wardrobe now, I feel like I want to be taken more seriously and it's embarrased me for long enough that I don't know how to dress to work :(

I work in an office as a finance assistant... I don't face the public at all but do work for a department in the police so they don't tend to appreciate the sexy secretary look :( Just smart office wear really... :( please help me :(

next have some nice work wear have a look on there website theres a few outfits i like on there that arent too dressy or casual, also i find asda and tesco have some nice cardigans and tops i get alot of my work clothes from there as i dont see the point of spending a fortune just to go to work, hope this helps

Yup, I was going to say Asda & Tesco have nice smart but not too smart work clothes :D

What sort of things are good though..? Shirts?

Sorry for being so clueless, I just always get it wrong :(

yes or blouses, or even just plain t-shirts, i like jumpers with 3/4 length sleeves i like things like this with black trousers

work3.jpg

work1.jpg

work.jpg

I think wrap tops look nice, with a nice print. Or smocks, and tunics, with some trousers.

I also love checked wide leg trousers with a plain colored smock top

they're smart looking :) i'll have a looky for those sorta things :) i usually get in trouble for things with no sleeves which does my head in or tops that are too low cut or fancy.

i'm logging off now for the evening but thanks for your replies so far and il check back again tomorrow :) x

I teach in a private school and although I'm not the smartest person there I am sure I would have been called up on my appearance if my outfits weren't appropriate.
I always dress comfortably - I'm singing, dancing and playing with children so that seems to make sense. I never have exposed bra straps as that doesn't seem appropriate and I wear long tops after the Christmas when a 6 year old innocently put up his hand to tell me "Everytime you make a stable" [an action to go with the Chrismas song] "we can see your tummy!" :rotfl: So in winter I wear black Gap tshirts, as they are longer than normal ones, with jumpers that are cut longer too, often with roll or cowl necks because I like them. If it's warmer I wear things like the wrap top or scoop neck tunic from Mothercare - tops that are made of comfy, stretchy cotton like stuff but that are long enough that when I sit down there is not a gap between my top and trousers.

It sounds like your work can't make up their minds! Perhaps ask them what sort of clothes they see as appropriate or if there is someone who works with you that wears the right kind of clothes.
:hug:

You can get some nice multi packs of t-shirt /wrap tops from Next, which can then be mixed and matched with a smart jacket and black trousers. If you've been told cardi's are not smart enough then consider buying a couple of nice suits and then just mix and match tops. Women can generally get away with wearing t-shirt tops with suits, they still look smart and you can get some really nice bright colours. Here's some nice tops

http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/workwear/23/

Marks and Spencer have some good prices for suits at the moment, try and get something you can machine wash rather than dry clean.

Definately avoid anything low cut, thin straps, 'clubby' or too revealing.

Also, most big dept. stores offer a free personal shopping service, maybe worth a try if you're really stuck for ideas.

Are you top/bottom heavy? Short or tall?

xx

I kind of don't understand what youre work said to your, what ios the dress code there as it seems a bit confusing? Is it business casual, smart cas? im sorry but if someone said that to me that would piss me right off, you should be able to be free in what you wear as long as its not jeans on a day other then friday then whats the problem?

Sorry im just a reb!

lol

whats their policy? If it's business casual you should be allowed to wear t-shirts, thats what we wear, white t-shirts and black trousers

You can't go wrong with a V-neck jumper.

I have them in every colour, and Primark were doing nick £6 ones with a slightly puff sleeve which looked a bit fancier.

Try Principles, Wallis and Next for more grown-up looking 'wrap' style tops, you can wear your vest underneath them so they're not too low-cut and to keep warm! :D

I would suggest fitted tailored trousers, you can get them from new look cheap enough and fitted tops etc, what the girls have all said sounds great and you canty go wrong.

There isn't a clear cut policy - that's whats annoying. The boys wear shirts and ties - open shirts for the boys are a no-no - and smart trousers. There isn't a jeans or casual day because it's seen to lower the reputation of the police if anyone saw us in the street and knew who we worked for. Pathetic yes I know... it was enough of a mission to get a "wear pink" day last year for breast cancer, but because one of the seniors is cool we managed to.

The other women, I'll try and find some pictures. They wear stuff that I'd expect to be able to wear, but when I try and buy it and make it work for me too, I always end up looking stupid.

Me on the right this time last year, in the only combination of tops I've ever found that look ok. My boss is on the uber left, bad example as he had got changed to go to a gig afterwards. The guy next to me did have a tie on but took it off after work.

913951738_b1df1585f3.jpg

Not a great example but...

913098423_8940b52642.jpg

Another top I used to wear to work but is now too small for me :( (and I got in trouble for that little blue streak in my hair by the way.)

913965132_74af01f0cc.jpg

The lady on the right works in similar job to me but for a different department... she was the only one who didn't get changed for the xmas party.

n772056339_536446_7491.jpg

The lady on the very left wore this shirt to work but with black trousers instead...

n772056339_536451_8943.jpg

But I thought silk shirts would be too dressy??

The girl on the right worked in my office and got away with more casual clothes like below >

n502007870_118975_2666.jpg

But I would always be told it too casual :( Can't win.

Basically... officewear but it's picky. Strap tops not allowed, no midriff allowed, no short skirts or lowcut tops, anything that looks too bright and stand outish... I had a nice fleece top a little like this....

3231_2.JPG

But was told it was too casual. It annoys me because girls like the one on the right in the top and leggings, and the girl in the xmas party picture in the green top... they can get away with wearing anything and not get in trouble for it but yet it gets picked up on me. Unfair methinks... who am I supposed to base myself on! LOL can you see why I struggle, different standards for everyone, probably depending on who the office hotty is that week :( :( :(

Also those trousers that finish at knee length, one girl wore them and her boss said they are fine but my boss told me to never bother turning up in them..

Im sorry but i think thats dead unfair!

I could understand if they said if you were dressing too casual, or too smart but to say both?

I wear a silk shirt to work i quite like it :)

Try wearing jumpers or roll tops that are one colour, stay away from stripes or designs.

Have one or two main pairs of black trousers you can't go wrong.

Avoid white shirts as they can look too smart, go for shirts that are one colour ie dark purple, brown.

If wearing a jumper team it with smart shoes and a knee length skirt or trousers.

Wear smart dresses in black or if its summer gor for a a line skirt with court shoes and a shirt...

If they still don't like what you're wearing then state your case hon, ask them for an example of what they want you to wear. Or further more gimme the address and ill give em what for!!

;)

Id also like to mention that if they have a DRESS CODE this HAS to be in the staff handbook otherwise its a load of bolloxs im sorry this has made me so annoyed (not you but them) I dont think ppl should be picked out like this when they have obviously done nought wrong!!!!!!

x

leckershell said:
Also those trousers that finish at knee length, one girl wore them and her boss said they are fine but my boss told me to never bother turning up in them..

They say it's not what you wear but how you wear it......

Face it girl, you're too much of a fox! They look corporate, you look sexy! Some people do struggle to look more formal at work. They call me 'boho' (and I'm so NOT) because I wear a lot of junky jewellary and long dresses sometimes, but a teacher can be more relaxed as long as there's no 'bappage' exposed.

I think you'd get away with quite a French style, as you're so petite. Not cropped trousers, but those slim cigarette pants, with flatties, a mac, a plain V-neck and a little scarf?

:( I know :(

I've asked them several times and they just roll their eyes and say officewear. It's not fair though how one can get away with anything and others can't.

It annoys me because they assume "officewear" is obvious but there is so much scope to go wrong. It's embarrasing too because I don't think there's anything wrong with what I try to go for, and being told my clothes are inappropriate just makes me feel like the effort I put in was wrong and then I end up feeling miserable and down :(

Minxy said:
I think you'd get away with quite a French style, as you're so petite. Not cropped trousers, but those slim cigarette pants, with flatties, a mac, a plain V-neck and a little scarf?

The girl in the xmas photo wearing green... she does that style :) I would love to try the scarf thing and the rest of what you said sounds fab too.. I just worry I'll get the patterns/colours wrong and end up looking like I made a mess :(

It's probably very obvious, but I never had any female help over the years with what to wear, so my starting point is zero. I'm ok with colour co-ordination, but I'm the sort of person that puts the wrong boots with the wrong skirt and then curses myself all night when I realise how stupid it looks :(

is it possible for you to take a pic of you in some of the clothes u feel comfy in which you thihnk are right? Im sure we can help, gok wan eat ya heart out!!

I agree with Minxy maybe ur boss thinks the clothes u wear make u look far too lushious and doesnt know how to tell you...

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back