Need help again! Decision on birth at home??

handbagqueen

Reaction score
Well, I can't remember if I've mentioned this before but when I went on the hospital tour a couple of weeks ago I was panicking walking around the hospital and only calmed down when I got the pleasant surprise that a new midwife led unit had opened up with a water pool. So, I was hoping to get a water birth but the only problem with this is that there is only one pool and as august is a busy month (and the law of sod) the chances are that it will be occupied.
Then at my NCT class it really hit home how much I panic when it comes to the whole hospital environment and that the chances of intervention could turn out to be fairly high due to our litigating society. (I do however accept that sometimes it is necessary for them to intervene and would never want to put my baby or me at risk)
Surprisingly I feel calm when I think about the pain and actually giving birth but when i start thinking about the hospital I start to panic- this is completely out of character for me tbh and has surprised me as I always thought I'd want to be knocked out!

I'm worried that when I get to the hospital i'll tense up and delay the labour because I'll be so stressed out so i thought I'd discuss it with my midwife today and she asked if I had considered doing a home birth- i thought it was too late to do this but she said it isn't as they normally wait until 37 weeks to assess if it'll be ok.

I hadn't even looked into it so would appreciate some opinions if possible and also some directions as to where I would be able to order a birthing pool- is it too late to get this now?!

Oh and I thought that my dh would poo poo the whole idea but he seems very blase about it and just said it was up to me- another shocker!

Not going to be much help with a reply to your post but I was about to post almost exaclty the same thing!!

I've been to a birth plan class thing today and the MW suggested that I could consider a home birth. I'd always written it off and not even mentioned it to my DH because I thought he'd be dead against it but he actually sounded quite keen and it's the thought of the hospital that is the bit I'm dreading too.

I was about to post for advice on birth pools, advantages, disadvantages etc etc....... hopefully you'll get some good advice that I could steal.

Good luck and hope you get the birth you want

:hug:

Yay, hopefully a few of us will get a home birth!!

I'm not fussed about hospitals, but the two visits I've had there recently, I didn't really like. Bland small rooms, and left for ages without attention - plus up on the 13th floor so no fresh air at ease and I don't like the idea of OH being sent home and not spending the first night as a family.

Did your MW give oyu any info? I only mentioned it to mine 2 weeks ago and she gave me some info on home births and what they do, and I am due to see her with OH on Monday to discuss at length. Any medical staff I have seen have been very positive about it.

I think you do have to remain open minded that there is still a chance you may need to go to the hospital. But I feel so much more comfortable with the idea of being at home and cosy.

I think it is important to try and go for the birth that will make you feel the most comfortable and relaxed, so I would definitely look into a homebirth. It's great that your OH's are happy to support you ladies and fingers crossed it works out for you all :hug:

Personally I feel happier going with the hospital birth but having said that I want to use their birthing pool there (if it's occupied, I'm crossing my legs ;) ). I also want to be out of hospital as quickly as possible and I can see the appeal of a homebirth. Sherlock's birth story might be really helpful (link in her sig) I know moss has been looking into it too!

Hello :wave:

I've seen birthing pools available in the mothercare magazine...infact I think they offer a whole 'homebirth package' :think: it was a little pricey though if I remeber rightly but maybe that's just me being tight :lol:

I went for a check up to my m/w yesterday as we suspect I'm low on iron and she offered me a home birth but I'm really not comfortable with it :oops: It's a rented house and we have got a whole new bed and sofa so I'm really worried about marking anything :( and I really don't need the hassle and embarrassment of my husband and the cats getting in the way :shakehead:
We've been here just shy 3months and I guess home's just not a comfy enough place for me :roll:

We have agreed though that I'll use the midwife delivery suite at the hospital (an extra new extention thing they've just built on) and I'll try to manage with just gas and air and a tens machine and hopefully be allowed home shortly after the birth. Midwives say I can stay in over night though if I choose even if nothing is wrong and they are really encouraging breast feeding as well (which I want to do but was a bit funny about so thought I might end up expressing :think: ) but she says even if they have to do 2 home visits a day to help me out then they will! :lol:

I think you should go for it if thats what you want, they cannot say anything about you having a home birth...

Have a word with +
.Sherlock as she researched alot into home birth. I wouldnt mind having one but i feel like i need that separatioin between birth and coming back home, im also worried i'll have an asthma attack during or may not be able to handle the pain and might need an epi...

One thing to also remeber though is YOU call the shots so even if you have the mite in hospital its important you tell them exactkly what you want and have ur partner back you up no one should force anything on anyone ie assistance if you want them to leave you be whilst you give birth then so be it, but dont let anyone tell you otherwise petal

xx

:hug:

I am having a home birth (fingers crossed :pray: )

See www.homebirth.org.uk there is tons of info on there.

I think they're delivering a midwife pack to my house around 36 weeks, they will attend a home birth anytime after 37 weeks.

Dawn

Hey there Handbag Queen! I am going for a home birth too. I am an obsessive bargain hunter, and I can tell you the best deal I found on the birthing pool was actually through a website called Biz-e-kids. The pool I went for is called 'birth pool in a box', and is fantastic. Its easy to store away until you need it, rather than the hired hard plastic ones that could sit in your living room for a month before you use them! Also its yours, rather than hired. You can use it as a paddling pool after, or sell it on, on Ebay. It comes with a disposable liner for hygiene. Google birth pool in a box and you will get the info. Once id chosen my pool and package I searched for the best deals and Biz-e-kids was the one for me. It came in about 2 days so you've got plenty time. I think Sherlock had a regular paddling pool which was cheaper too. However I prefer going for the birth pool as you can sit a 15 stone man on the side as its so strong, its padded and soft at the bottom, and has grab handles for labour all over it, etc etc etc. Hope this helps xx

I had a wonderful home birth with my son and am definitely going for one again this time providing all is well. I really can't recommend one enough, I felt so comfortable and in control, there were two midwives with me, as well as OH and mu mum, and I really felt looked after. The mess is cleared up and taken away by the midwives so you don't really have to worry about that, and they always have an ambulance on stand by when they know there's a home birth going on just in case. You can change your mind at any time too and be transferred to hospital.

My birth story's in my signature if you want a read, and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Even if you haven't decided for definite, mention it to your midwife so that she can get the appropriate paperwork under way.

Good luck :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back