Anyone else opting for a home birth??

Melly+2

Reaction score
Ive wanted to go for this ever since i found out i was pregnant, unfortunatly i havnt discussed it with the midwife yet but im going to next week when i go for my check up. The mid wife i want to be there for the birth works atthe docs, only problem im not sure whether or not shes a comunity midwife so she may not be able to do this for me, what are the chances???
Im just so worried ill get some horrid old troll who wont liusten to word i say and be all mean to me through out my labour, the midwife i want is so wonderful shes looked after me through both my pregnanccies and has never made me feel stupid in any way shape or form, this is just something i worry about, also i want a water birth but i refuse to buy a birthing pool and cant really afford to hire one, im hopibng to find a decent paddling pool but how do i keep it warm as it will obviously have to go up before i go into labour and no one can estimate when that will be.

Can you not hire them for free from your doctors surgeries anymore??

Is there any thing eles anyone thinks i n3eed to know for a great home birth, thanks ladies xxx

Have a read of this thread here viewtopic.php?f=62&t=86464

Has links to paddling pool for birthing in (I used one to labour in at home and it was great but I actually gave birth out of the water).

It took 15 minutes to pump up with a foot pump (also from Amazon) and we kept an eye on the water temp with a waterproof floating thermometer (£7 from Amazon). It was easy to fill, took about 45 minutes (we ran a hose from the bath to the pool and then topped it up with hot water when the temp dropped to 36C. I was in it for about 4-5 hours when in labour and hubby found it pretty easy to top up and so on. Emptying was a bit awkward but didn't take too long. We did a test run about 2 weeks before my due date and then when I was actually in labour my hubby blew it up and filled it. Didn't need more than about 90 minutes all up. So you don't have to worry about anything before labour begins, just go from when it actually starts and your wanting to get in. In the meantime you can keep mobile, use the shower and so on.

I'm heading out now but will be back later to write a bit more about MW's attending homebirths etc.

I loved my homebirth so am all supportive of any woman hoping for one. Drop me a PM if you want to ask anything else.

Hey sweety, im due for a home birth if i make it to 37 weeks.

i have my 1st, 2nd and 3rd midwives on call through-out my pregnancy and on the day they will be called one by one as i get closer to delivering so they are all there to help with the birth.
I also REALLY wanted a birthing pool, but gave up on the idea as there are 4 pregos fighting over it for december, but i still may get it yet, just not holding my breath.
My midwives are not part of the hospital/doctors, they are their own separate "community" if you like of 6 registered midwives, they are very good, kind of like your own dulas ;)
I saw them every month untill 25 weeks then it was every 2 weeks, now im seing them every week untill delivery and have a home visit next appointment.
Their pools they rent out to you free. They have two but you have to buy a liner thats $25 so cheap as chips. maybe you should have a peek on Google see what you have in your area and try and start planning for your home birth if thats what you want. but you have to remember that not everything goes smoothly and you could end up having a hospital birth no matter how much you plan so keep your options open hun, good luck! :hug:

I had a fab homebirth last time and I'm hoping for another one this time. I've got a birthing pool but never managed to use it last time and I'm undecided whether I'm going to try this time (space & timing issues!). Talk things over with your midwife, she'll be able to advise you about things like pools. Fingers crossed you get the birth you want :hug:

Me me me, ive got all my paper work in place not sure how seriously the midwives are taking me tho.
I think they expected me to have definate reasons and a birth plan in place for why i wanted a home birth.
I dont, i just fancy giving it a go and it seems a better place to do it than hospital.
Midwives go on call for me on the 21st November, we shall see if i make it that far.

I just hope that i get left in peace with Brian as much as pssible cos if i have midwives hanging all over me from start to finish ill go nuts.

chickadee1976 said:
Me me me, ive got all my paper work in place not sure how seriously the midwives are taking me tho.
I think they expected me to have definate reasons and a birth plan in place for why i wanted a home birth.
I dont, i just fancy giving it a go and it seems a better place to do it than hospital.
Midwives go on call for me on the 21st November, we shall see if i make it that far.

I just hope that i get left in peace with Brian as much as pssible cos if i have midwives hanging all over me from start to finish ill go nuts.

Homebirth should be fine from 37 or 38 weeks onwards. How far will you be on the 21st? Seems a bit late but hopefull your LO will hang on till then :)

About MW's giving you plenty of room. They usually do. That's the main thing about homebirthing is that it tends to be more hands off so long as things are progressing well and there are no problems. My MW was very hands off and remained pretty much in the background during my labour. She had to be in the same room as me but she would sit in the chair or on the sofa and I was walking around or in the pool. She was filling out the notes as she went rather than afterwards. They have to record your BP and check babies heartrate a fair bit (before and after contractions) for obvious reasons but IIRC mine were every 15 minutes and it really was not invasive at all. She was always observing but in a way I was totally unaware of. Nor did I mind her being in the room in the least. If I needed her she was right there but otherwise she left OH and I to ourselves.

Once I was ready to push though it was action stations and she was busy. But again very hands off and just talking and checking things, encouraging me on.

Good luck with things :)

I would have liked a home birth, but OH is a bit "scared" of it and wants me in a place where there is "medical" help avaliable! I have told him though I do want to go as long as possible at home as I would feel more comfortable...... I think! :D

however, he agreed to home birth for our next children as they are building a new hospital just a 2 min drive down the road..... :cheer:

I'm planning to have a homebirth, as long as baby turns. :dance:

And if baby is in a favourable breech position I still may be able to have a homebirth if i'm real lucky.

I had my homebirth just over two weeks and it was the most amazing experience.

I didn't have a set midwife who was going to come out to me, I just got whoever was on call at the time. I had a two day latent phase followed by an 11 hour labour and throughout that time I saw 5 different midwives and every single one of them was really really lovely. The service they gave me was second to none and I was really pleased with them.

They have to listen to babies heartbeat every 10 - 15 minutes or so and I had an internal check every 4 hours (if I could stand getting out of the pool) and that was it. I was pretty much left to my own devices and they only did anything when I asked one to wipe my brow and to talk me through breating through a contraction. They were brilliant.

I had this pool http://www.madeinwater.co.uk/pool.html and although it was just over £100 it came with everything we needed and I can honestly say that I wouldn't have been able to get through labour without it. The relief it offered me was so good that I got through the whole thing using just the pool and gas and air even after nearly 3 days without sleep and food!!

My mum and my husband took on the duty of keeping it warm with my mum emptying a couple of buckets of water out and my husband topping up with hot water whenever the temperature dropped to 36c. I was in the pool for pretty much the whole of my official labour (11 hours) and on and off for some of the latent phase too so it definately was worth it for me. I plan on using it again when we have another child and then it's going to be used a ball pit or paddling pool for the kids when they get bigger.

If you want to ask me anything about my homebirth feel free to PM me as I can't recommend a homebirth enough. It's a wonderful experience and I can't wait to do it again

:hug: :hug:

Its so lovely to hear so many lovely stories about how people really enjoyed it, im determined to have one now and i cant wait :cheer: Im at the midwife next week so im deffo gonna ask about hiring a pool from there though as at the minute i cant afford to hire an expensive pool. Its all so exciting and so scary at the same time :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back