birthing pool

leanne

Reaction score
i just went into work today to say goodbye and pack my stuff away and was talking to 2 women who have had babies at the hospital im going to. i was explaining that i want to give birth in the pool but they both told me you cant actually give birth in the pool. you can have contreactions there but have to get out to actually give birth? is this true????????? apparently it is due to the fact they arent insured. this has really uspet me as i had it all worked out in my head. if i had of known this i would have opted for a home birth and im sure i could have given birth in the pool at home. the whole reason for going with a water birth is so i cant be tempted to use any drugs, only wanna go for gas and air :cry: :cry: :cry:

maybe it all depends on the hospital, I am at a birthing centre and at the active birth class the midwife definately said that you can give birth in the pool.

Can you ring your hospital to find out?

hi tracey think i am gona have to. thing is its all probably too late to re arrange anything now. i decided to go to this particular horpital as i nkow it has a big maternity department and with seeing it ahppen on tv loads of time i thought it would be common practice.

I am hoping to use a birth pool if it is vacant when my time comes, and have been told you can actually give birth in it.

My friend had her little boy there a while ago and he was born into the water without her getting out.

Perhaps you should query this, or maybe its not too late to have your home birth. I wish i could but they wont let me! :shock:

Hi Leanne

Like MrsG said perhaps it's down to each hospital's policy etc as the one I'm going to definately allows you to give birth in the pool as my friend did when she had her little girl.

I would like to use the pool but trying not to set my heart on it incase it's being used at the time

Lucy
40 + 2

snap lucy :D :D
though they have said in my maternity some women manage to give birth in the normal sized baths

what i'd do if i were you leanne is phone around to check out you really can't give birth in water there and if that's the case, have you written a birth plan with your wish for a water birth? use that to organise to have it anywhere that does it. if you don't have a birth plan just have a stomp!! hehe :twisted:

after all they always say that apart from emergencies you should be able to get the birth you want. good luck

It can depend on the hospital and the midwives on duty as they have to be qualified for delivering babies in water, however it's very unusual nowadays for any hospital not to let you deliver in water :?

At my hospital - the Royal Free - you can definitely give birth in the pool, but if you're in one of the birthing suites you can only use the baths for pain relief and they won't let you give birth in the bath.

It's to do with the way newborns react to being in and out of water. As long as she stays underwater the breathing reflex won't kick in, but if she comes out of the water it will. The water in the bath is too shallow to ensure that the baby will stay underwater throughout the last stages wheras in the birthing pool it's deeper so even if you're crouching the baby will stay fully submerged until delivered.

Hello!

I think it may be up to the hospital too, sometimes it's used as pain relief only. I really want to use the pool too!!! But I guess best laid plans.........

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back