• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Nap/self settle thread

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
I know a few of us are teaching LOs to selfsettle or nap better ATM so thought we should have a place to discuss tips, triumphs, epic fails and general support!

Tyler slept terribly last night. My munchkin woke up at 12ish for a feed and took an hour to go down after! I gave up and had him in bed with me lol! We're going home today (been at my mums) so hopefully he'll be more settled. HAVING SAID THAT this morning I've put him on my bed for 2 naps and after complaining he's gone down both times on his own! The first was only for half an hour and the second he's just gone down for. My mums been holding me back at the bottom of the stairs to stop me going to him lol! Hope I can be as restrained at home!

great idea

I managed to get her down twice yesterday but she only slept half hour ish but had she been on me she would have slept for hours, had to go out to doc for 1030 so fed her early and she still asleep in her car seat now, not sure if i should leave her sleep she was only awake for half hour today so far and was wide awake most of yesterday evening whch i dont want if im puttig her to bed at 8

Alyssa is still colicky so wont settle once in the basket so shes asleep on me atm lol

Ruby settles great of a night but in day time she is terrible she will only go asleep if I take her for a walk in her pram or if I rock her to sleep xx

Have just put Emily in her bouncy chair and she is asleep... Hope it lasts more than five minutes! :)

Sophie's been a pain to take her formula all yesterday and today but thankfully she managed to sleep through from half 7 till half 5 this morning. Was expecting her to wake up a few times tbh.

What has worried me though is I was reading in a weaning book the other day about how babies should still have a 10pm feed even when weaning. Sophie is well asleep by then but I worry that going 10hours + is far too long without any milk!

What has worried me though is I was reading in a weaning book the other day about how babies should still have a 10pm feed even when weaning. Sophie is well asleep by then but I worry that going 10hours + is far too long without any milk!

dont worry - babies dont read the book. she'll let you know if she needs it.

G fell asleep on the boob just after 10 this morning. so i put her in basket (well its the pram base. she kind grunts a bit, and kept having to sort t he dummy. she stayed in for just over a hour, although slept on and off - so maybe only half of that.

dunno if its a co-incidence, but shes slept better the last few days/nights and only thing i think ive done different is give her a milky muslin. she grabbed a hold on it when i was wiping her face in the crib the other night, so ive chucked on in beside her since - not a clean on but one ive gpot breast milk on.

xxx

dont worry - babies dont read the book. she'll let you know if she needs it.

xxx

Lol! True! I don't wake up k to eat either. She wakes up if she is hungry.

As for naps, I cannot get her down at all! Getting quite frustrated so hoping this thread helps! Xx

Last edited:
I have 2 hopes of Tilly self settling. Bob and no...

Haha.

She is still only diddly though so I don't have expectations about this just yet.

I've just kind of coincided Sophie's naps with Feed times. I also use a dummy and hold it in whilst having a cuddle till she's asleep then slip her down.

Great thread, id love to hear what others are doing as ive made it my mission to work on his sleeping over the next few weeks.
Isaac likes the boob to get him to sleep! I was trying the EASY routine from the baby whisper book to try to get him into a bit of a loose routine & make him less dependent on the boob, but trying to get him to sleep after his activity time & without another feed is so hard! I find when Isaac is really tired or over stimulated he struggles to sleep even with boob, I was walking him round & rocking/bouncing him which would take ages if it worked at all, but Ive realized that that was just over stimulating him more. I think just sitting still & holding him tight until he cries it out is the only way when he's like that. I tried it last night & he wailed horribly but stopped sooner than I thought he would & just conked out. Id never put him down to cry like that, but sometimes I think he just needs a good cry before he can sleep when he's in a pickle!

Nap no 3. We had tears this time as I
Think he's triggered that dark room equals nap lol

Weird - went to put G in her basket in living room and she screamed the place down. So thought I'd try crib upstairs cos she was in it yesterday as I wanted a sleep! She's currently lying in the crib cuddling a muslin in silence!! Xxx

Good day here too!!!! She woke at 5.45am so fed her and put her straight back down, awake. Even moved rooms cos sam needed to get some sleep and she was grunting! She fell back to sleep after about 20 mins.... No tears just grunts and squeaks. Lol. And she slept til 10.30! Then up for a feed and at 11.30 went back for another nap til 1pm. Been up since then as my mate came but she had cuddle naps and she is now snoozing after a bit of boobie. Very chilled babs cos of the amount of sleep :) xx

Had a fab nap day o went straight to sleep at 10am slept in car at 1pm and just gone straight off now!! Proud of my boy

Omg I feel like crying currently, he seems to be going backwards...he will only drink his milk just before a nap cuddled up to me on the rocking chair, and past couple of days screams when you walk out the room and shuts up as soon as you pick him up, which I am stopping right now, ricks not doing it now, he's currently having a horrendous screaming fit in his room and were just sat in our bedroom ignoring it. Arghhhh! Lol x

Omg I feel like crying currently, he seems to be going backwards...he will only drink his milk just before a nap cuddled up to me on the rocking chair, and past couple of days screams when you walk out the room and shuts up as soon as you pick him up, which I am stopping right now, ricks not doing it now, he's currently having a horrendous screaming fit in his room and were just sat in our bedroom ignoring it. Arghhhh! Lol x

:( hope you're ok! How's he doing now?

Fab thread. Joshua snoozes in his swing in the mornings for up to 3 hours sometimes. But Im working on an afternoon nap in his cot to get him used to it....(hes outgrowing his moses basket!) Yesterday took an hour...today he won lol. Grrr. I have to literelly get him at the right time else I have no chance if hes not yawning then hes not gonna sleep. He wont take a dummy which I think would help him massivly

He's asleep now, I don't know if its maybe the light? We put sheets etc over his window and it doesn't face the sun anyway... After writing on here I went in and gave him a little bit of milk, to which he drank a bit then kept turning his head into his blankets at the side so I put his dummy in, walked out and the crying started again so oh went in n shushed him etc, and put a sock over his eye lol, a clean one mind... And he went to sleep soonish after so don't know if he was just exhausted or it helped block out the light...I was trying to get him to a later bedtime but if he doesn't nap in the day much like today, just doesn't happen :( blahhhh at least he's asleep now though can watch my soaps in peace x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back