My list of baby things to buy...

If you have the money to spend like that, then I don't think it's anyone's place to tell you you shoudn't. There's nothing nicer than shopping for baby bits and pieces (I too like making lists as well!)

Me and OH have always enjoyed a reasonable disposable income and never had to think about how much things cost etc. :oops: We bought our first house about 14 months ago and even then didn't really have to cut back too much. However, when I fell pregnant we had to reassess what was most important. As the main breadwinner we are going to be very poor when my SMP goes down to £100 odd a week and OH has been told he needs to look for a new job. We also had a new bathroom a few months ago (as it needed doing before baby turned up) but the plumbers came across several problems during the course of the work which ended up eating all of our savings. :(

There have been times when I have got upset about not being able to buy things for baby but if I look at it logically as long as she is fed, clothed, warm and somewhere to sleep she won't notice the difference.

Babies don't have to cost the earth. Lots of people like to give you things when they know you are having a baby - we were given a lovely playmat which doesn't look like it has ever been used and lots of clothes. We will be putting baby in the moses basket that my 3 brothers and 2 sisters slept in, which as well as free holds lots of lovely memories. I'm planning to also breastfeed and use cloth nappies so once she is here my weekly shopping budget won't get eaten up by nappies and formula.

But as I said, if you can afford to spend like that, no-one can say it is wrong. My and OH lived a very lavish lifestyle before as I was very well paid and I don't regret it. True we would be in a better position if we had saved more but we had a great time and regret won't help the situation now - we're not worse off in any way other than financially, we will just have a different lifestyle. If things were more traditional and OH had been the main breadwinner on my salary I don't think we would have really thought about controlling finances and my list would be very similar! :wink:

The only thing I did want to comment on in your list was the Calpol - I wouldn't buy anything like that until baby is at least here (it's 2 months plus anyway and although the use by is normally fairly lengthy there's no point really having it hanging around) and if you think a very young baby is in need of medicine it is better to get them checked over by a healthcare professional as soon as you can rather then dose them up.

• Moses basket - £5-15 ebay/ join your local net mums !
• Cot bed (for when baby gets a bit older) - £100 max, sales and again good old ebbb
• Changing mat - £5 home bargains
• Baby moniter - £20- anywhere
• Cot bed mattress - £40 most places
• Cot bumper- £10
• Cot mobile - £10 tk maxx and ikea
• 4x fitted mosses basket sheets - £lol jesus girlie about £5 !
• 4x cot bed sheets - £5
• mosses basket bedding - £15
• cot bed bedding - £20
• Night light - £10
• Room thermometer - £5
• Baby bath - £5 ( but to be honest a washing up bowls just as good ! )
• Baby towels - £15
• 3x wash clothes - £5
• baby shampoo - £1
• baby lotion - £1
• baby moisturiser - £1
• highchair - £10-15 bootsales ebay, sales
• 8x bottles - £15
• 4x teats - £10
• bottle brush - £1
• steriliser - £10
• bottle warmer - £15
• thermometer - £1
• calpol - £1
• nappy cream - £2
• 6x sleeveless body suits - £ 2 primark tesco matalan asda
• 6x long sleeve body suits - £2 above
• top and trouser set - £5
• hooded jacket - £10
• 3x cardigans - £20
• shoes - £10
• socks or tights - £10
• swinging rocker chair - £40 - these can go upto 100 or so so if you savemoney elsewhere you can trest yourself to an extra snazzy one, one of the only things on your list that you cant generally get for peanuts :)
• baby floor gym - £10
• pram toy - £5
• non slip bath mats - £1
• foot muff for pram - £15
• canopy or parasol - £15
• rain cover - £20
• head support cushion - £5-10
• changing bag - £15
• baby blanket - £15
• newborn sleep suits - £20
• 1x newborn snow suit - £10
• socks - £ there reaslly cute ones on the market near me, new for 4 for £1 !
• baby wipes - £on offer at sainsburys for 59p for the own brand, theyre the best as they have no alcohol fragrance etc in
• muslins - £20 - ebay for nice pastel colours!
• nappies - £20 - what sort of nappies ya gettni gurlie ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back