My Life as a Mummy :-) *Harry McGregor*

rheannymac

Reaction score
So I never bothered doing a parenting journal...mainly because I never had time but I thought it's better late than never!
My little man was born 2 weeks overdue, and with a 2 & a half day labour I was more than ready for him to get here! Allthough my labour was very long and totally exhausting, I felt utterly empowered by it and would love to do it again!
I have to admitt, I very much struggled through the early weeks of Harrys life. People tell you how hard having a newborn can be, but I really don't think anything will prepare you for just how hard and demanding it is.
Our first night home with Harry (9 hours after his birth!) was brilliant, he slept fantastic only waking for feeds and I really thought wow...this is amazing. But that soon stopped!
From night 2 he refused to sleep, he screamed constantly and just never settled. By the time he was a week old I was a wreck. My midwives would ask how I was, and I put on a smile and told them I was great, but in all honestly I was really struggling to cope. It was putting a massive strain on mine & oh's relationship as he was struggling to cope with Harry too. He slept maybe an hour or two at a time, and screamed in between times. We ended up taking it in shifts, a few hours at a time each. We were both utterly exhausted.
Week 2 brought a bad stomach infection for my poor little man. He went onto anti-biotics which helped, but also brought on thrush so had to go on more medicine for that.
I first saw my health visitor the day after he was given his anti-b's and I swear she was my angel. She was so lovely and caring, and when she asked how I was....I broke down. I couldn't keep up the smile anymore. She gave me a massive hug and really reassured me that how I was feeling was totally normal and not to worry.
Several weeks passed and Harry was still not sleeping, he would go a few days settling in his pram, then would hate it all of a sudden. The amount of 2am drives we went on just to stop his crying is crazy!
I seriously doubted myself as a mother some days. I doubted my abilities to look after him, to love him, to do anything right by him....but with several pep talks from my HV and as time went on and Harry got older I began to find it easier.
Week 5 and we decided the best thing for us was to put Harry in his cot in his own room. I cried that night as I left him looking so tiny in his massive cot.....but it was the best thing we have ever done. We all slept amazingly. From then I have never looked back.
I'm not going to lie, the first 5/6 weeks were hellish. I cried so much, I felt like a crap mum, I even doubted having him at one point. But now he is 14 weeks, and my god, that little boy is the light of my life!!
Since putting him in his cot and him starting to sleep better, I have grown in confidence an unbelievable amount. I KNOW I am a good mummy, I KNOW I am able to do whatever he needs me too. I sometimes just look at him sleeping, or when he beams his beautiful smile at me and I just cry out of pure love for him. I am completely and utterly head over heels for him. Yes we have our bad days, days where I am exhausted and could sleep for a week. But I carry on because I have my boy and that is all that matters!!
It has been a very bumpy ride; he's had his tummy infection, thrush, constipation, sickness, we've had to change formulas several times till he settled on Hipp (which is amazing!!)
Nowadays Harry is such a happy little boy. He always has a wee smile on his face, which makes my heart melt every time! He's already developing his amazing little personality and I cannot wait to see him grow into a gorgeous young man. I beam with pride whenever I take him out.
I am so proud of how far he has come, and not only that but I am proud of myself, for how far I've come.
I never thought it was possible to have this much love for someone!

Here are some pictures of the love of my life!

Attachments

• 4af74ba85f5411e2884a22000a9f1588_7.jpg
    4af74ba85f5411e2884a22000a9f1588_7.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 7
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 10
You are a FAB mummy! Will be stalking your journal :lol: xx

:D Thanks hun, so are you! Your little man is just the most precious wee toot!
xxx

how lovely.....i was the same in the beginning and i agree the first 6 weeks are the hardest part but after that i think you grow to understand them a bit more and things become a bit easier xxx

Lovely first post, brought a tear to my eye! It's nice to read such a truthful account of how things were for you at the beginning (I was exactly the same!) and how things have changed so much :)

Harry is gorgeous, look forward to reading more! :)

Last edited:
Thanks ladies!
The experience had made me realise how important it is to be honest with your feelings!

Well yesterday we had a lovely day! We had a lunch date with the lovely Claire671 and her gorgeous little munchkin Michael! We sat for hours chatting and it really was lovely to be able to meet one of the PF ladies in person! While we were there, Daddy was sent on a mission to find a Mamas & Papas Snug as everywhere I'd tried online seemed to be sold out! He managed to find one in Mothercare who had it on offer for £34 instead of £40 so was even better!
After me & Claire went our seperate ways, me & oh had a wander round the shops and ended up buying him a new playmat that was reduced too! So he was well and truely spoiled!
Had a bad mummy moment though! As we were out at the shops Harry was due a feed so we stopped at Costa and I got the water ready.....and realised I'd forgotten to pack the formula!! So daddy was sent on another mission to get some! My poor wee man couldn't work out why I wasn't giving him anything! Oops! :roll:

Anyway, H loves his mat & the Snug, so money well spent! I think his gums are starting to bother him again though, he was very restless last night. Managed to get him to settle for a little nap just now though! (hence the update!)
Here are a few little pictures!
In his snug & studying his hands on his mat!

Attachments

• harry in his snug.JPG
    harry in his snug.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 14
  • on his mat.JPG
    on his mat.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 18
Lovely start to ur journal hun. So nice to read u and harry are gettin on well :) xxx

Love the pic of him on his playmat, looks like he has ears on lol x

aww what a lovely first post. those first few weeks are so so hard. life is so much easier when you can sleep. Love the piccys of your handsome little man, he always looks such a happy chappy. xx

Oh definitely, me & oh were talking about how hard the first few weeks were but they really are worth it in the end!
Saying that Harry has well and truly been testing me today! He's started the dreaded 14 week leap and my god do I know about it today!! Wee monkey! Xxx

Oh dear, olivia is the same and im sure she is teething or gums are hurting. She has all the signs poor little mite. Hard work though as she wont settle to sleep so she just gets herself so grumpy xx

Aw yeah, it's such hard work! I just keep telling myself when he does the next new thing it'll be so worth it & I'll be an ever so proud mummy! Harry has really suffered with his gums the past week or so, I bought some amber beads as I've heard such great things about them. I bought an anklet one so it can be hidden when were out (thought a bracelet or necklace would look quite girly) and it's too small, he has chubby wee legs....or cankles lol!!! :lol:

Well, my boy had a much better day today! We went out for a wee walk, and he slept the whole time. Woke up for 5/10 minutes when I went into my work (Debenhams) and one of the girls I used to work with pulled his blanket off and stuck her face in the pram....the wondered why he was crying :roll: wasn't happy!
OH had to work tonight, 4.30-10pm so me & harry had a good wee giggle! We sang and read stories, then I put the music channels on and we had a wee dance round the living room, which he loved! He was giggling away loads! He loved bath time as usual and went down straight away, letting mummy relax with some creme egg ice cream and irn bru! Braw! :D

Here's some recent piccies of my wee bump!
Showing off his beautiful blues,
having some tummy time with his whale pillow!
And in the middle of a big yawn!

Attachments

• close up.JPG
    close up.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 11
  • tummy time.JPG
    tummy time.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 11
  • yawnies.JPG
    yawnies.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
:yay: glad you've had a better day hun, Harry is gorgeous in that first piccy! Xx

Had such a lovely day with my boy today! Oh was working at 9am so got up with lo when he woke at 7 so I could sleep in. He brought harry through to our bed when he was leaving and we had a right good snuggle, we both fell asleep for a good 45 mins (a 45 minute nap for harry is unheard of!) then when we woke up we stayed cuddled up in bed for ages! I brought some of his toys & books through and we read stories and played till about 11! We then went for a wee wander around my local park, done a wee bit of shopping then came home and had another wee snuggle on the couch! Daddy is off out with his friends tonight, they were in the flat for a wee while but were being too noisy to i chucked them out early lol! Harry went down about 9 (after being woken twice by oh & his stupid pals) so i'm chilling on the couch and it's actually SO nice to have time to myself without oh changing channels and going on about playing bloody fifa!! xxx

Great start to your journal. What a tough time at the beginning but your little man seems to be doing so well and is such a cutie, well done mummy!x

Sounds like you had such a nice day Saturday! Can I ask where you got your amber beads? I really want to get some (though my oh thinks its nonsense so I'll have to hide them lol)

I just got them off amazon. Was only about £8 I think with delivery. I've noticed a massive difference since I put them on Harry. He still drools & sucks his fist but he's not been in pain since I put them on. I put them on his ankle so it's hidden as I thought a necklace or bracelet would look a bit girly! Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back