My friend is throwing a baby shower :S

redbear

Reaction score
I got an email and an invite to a baby shower for me!
My friend is very sweet and loverly and so far the people invited are coming but i feel like its cheeky and like asking for gifts or something when i honestly dont want that- i thought baby showers where american!
So im trying to turn it into a girls night type thing instead without upsetting my friend... she lives away and is only trying to be nice but its making me cringe!!
And now she wants a gift list thing when i don't want gifts! I dont want people feeling like they have to get me something or owt daft! x

I always thought they were more american! Maybe just speak to your friend and explain you dont want to be asking for gifts. I'm sure she will understand! To the people who are coming just explain that it's a girly pamper night, enjoy the time with your friends and put your feet up! They can enjoy the wine and you can get some stories from them! Instead of a baby shower, you should call it something else... Like 'celebrating your pregnancy' but with a catchy name. :)

Hope you manage to speak to your friend! xx

Yeh thanks i may do, I haven't heared of a baby shower no one i know has ever had one but its not like she is trying to be nasty... im just going to leave them to it i think at least the ivites and everything are not coming from me so it doesnt seem as bad! x

It's actually quite common now, most of my friends have had them. I wouldn't worry and just enjoy it x

Really i thought it was American- then again highschool's have proms too so i suppose its the same lol, im trying to forget about it and just hope people dont feel like they need to bring anything x

I threw a baby shower for my cousin when she was expecting. Because I knew my cousin had everything she needed and would feel guilty for accepting gifts I wrote on the invites I sent out:"The gift of your presence is present enough!" This seemed to work as only a few bought presents. And they were aimed at my cousin and not the baby. I organised a few games with prizes for the winner and little goody bags to take home so in the end it was the guests which left with presents. This made my cousin feel much better about the party and she, and the rest of us, had lots of fun! Relax and enjoy yourself.

I threw a baby shower for my cousin when she was expecting. Because I knew my cousin had everything she needed and would feel guilty for accepting gifts I wrote on the invites I sent out:"The gift of your presence is present enough!" This seemed to work as only a few bought presents. And they were aimed at my cousin and not the baby. I organised a few games with prizes for the winner and little goody bags to take home so in the end it was the guests which left with presents. This made my cousin feel much better about the party and she, and the rest of us, had lots of fun! Relax and enjoy yourself.

Yeh im going to do the goody bag idea, That way its not like she is doing the party to get me stuff... its a facebook group and people have already been saying 'im so excited for this' so i wouldn't cancel i will just treat everyone to good food gifts and drink (i can't but they can) xx

I think baby showers are a really good idea :)

All your friends are going to be getting you gifts anyway, so at least this way they get to see your appreciation and have a good time.

The British alternative is having people coming around as soon as baby is born when you really don't want them to and you whipping open the present asap before ushering them back out of the door pronto ;)

Or in my case, sticking presents in the post for new babies never to hear anything from them in way of a thank you.

I know a few people who've had them recently. I quite like the idea, and would lve it if my friends did that - mostly just for everyone to get together and have fun.

If you really dont want a gift list etc -you could suggest to ur friend that you have everything you need just now - and to do the "you're presence is gift enough",

That said most of the folk who come to a baby shower would probably be people who would by the LO presents anyway - at least this way you get to thatnk them in person before you have the stress of a new baby, maybe if you could think of a few little bits you'd need it would help people out. - even if its just a size guide for clothes.
xxx

Im coming around to the idea more it just made me cringe at first because if people come to see the LO and bring a gift then thats great but its something they have done for themself not felt like they have to because its a party... then again when i got married people kept asking what we wanted and i hated it so in the end my mum told everyone money for the honeymoon because i refused to make a list lol... i think its just my personality really x

Maybe you could do the same kinda thing again though - money for LO's savings account?
xxx

Well there are only like 20 people coming so im just going to not say anything and then make a massive fuss about how grateful i am if they bring anything- im also getting lots of beer and making lots of food and getting goodie bags so they may feel a bit spoilt when they leave....
Im getting used to the idea more and more... just have to get the house sorted in time now! (just moved in and the house is stil getting finished) very stressful lol x

all of my friends have had baby showers and i'll probably have one too, they are really common in the UK now so dont' worry. love the idea of goody bags :)

xx

Yeh im just trying to find things to put in them im thinking Candles or something HHmmmm x

My oh threw me a surprise baby shower, I had a lovely day, we played different games and it was really great to see my friends and family. You will have a great time :)

Just an update had the baby shower last night... it was so good, everyone came with handfulls of gifts but i didnt feel bad because i hadn't asked, Everyone was super nice and it was such a laugh, have lots of left over food for me to eat today lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back