My experience with acupuncture - finally a BFP!!

DocL

Reaction score
Hi there ladies,

So I'm new to this, and I promised myself that I would use my experience to try and give others some encouragement and hopefully a bit of inspiration that it can work out in the end.

A few days ago I got my BFP, and I'm so delighted and also in shock!:shock:

I'm 34, and my DH and I have been TTC for nearly 2 years. Not helped by the fact that we were living apart for the first 6 months, but we were trying our best to DTD regularly in spite of this.
In March of this year I had a miscarriage, which sent my cycle pretty haywire. So the next 6 or months made TTC very difficult (in addition to having a very stressful job and my dad passing away).
I had been using ovulation sticks, but even looking back (after AF had arrived) to when I should have been ovulating, I clearly wasn't having obvious LH surges..

Feeling like I was getting into a negative cycle of obsessing so much about getting pregnant, I figured that I needed to try and approach it with more positivity. I had been reading about the potential benefits of acupuncture (more so in conjunction with IVF, but having said that lots of women on various forums were reporting they had had acupuncture and then quickly gone on to get pregnant).
So I reasoned 'what have I got to lose?'. At the very least, I hoped that acupuncture might help to alleviate some stress.

My acupuncturist is a lovely lady , who listened intently, and made me realise just how much stress my body was under.
I had a few sessions over the 2nd half of my cycle, which were aiming to generally relax me, and I certainly felt pleasantly sedated after these sessions! My acupuncturist had pretty much concluded that my uterus was very cold and needed warming and nurturing. Looking back, I can now see that whereas once I had good flow and strong pre-menstrual cramps, this had all gradually dwindled.

The aim of the next few sessions, in the first half of my next cycle, was to try and encourage ovulation (to shorten the first half of my cycle because they seemed to be lengthening).
So on day 12 I went along for a session, and had a 4 needles inserted around my pelvis and 1 needle just under my rib cage on the left side, the aim of this being to encourage blood flow from the heart to the uterus.
Around 2 hours after this session, I started having really strong pelvic cramps, just as if I was about to have AF. This continued overnight and the next day I continued having milder pelvic discomfort. It was pretty odd, but instinctively I felt it was a really positive sign, as if my uterus was coming back to life!!

I had decided that I would use the ovulation sticks for a good 3 weeks of that month just to track my LH levels. Then on day 16 I had my first LH, it appeared so quickly and quite clearly darker than the control line! I was so excited because as I said, I'd not had a clear surge in months of using these..
I should point out that I agreed with my acupuncturist that we would hold off trying this month to try and restore some balance..however, once I saw this surge, I instinctively felt that it would be silly not to pass up this opportunity lol!
I went for another acupuncture session the following week, and sheepishly explained that DH and I had DTD, just because I didn't want her to stick any needles anywhere that could potentially be risky..not that I actually thought that one go would have made a dent!!

I had been having breast tenderness and mild cramps pretty much since ovulation, but just put that to the back of my mind, just because I had over-analysed the hell out of any little symptom in previous month's! Anyway, it was the day before AF was due, and I was sitting with my mum, just snacking on some crisps, when I started getting really strong heartburn, and a watery mouth..and I don't ever really get heartburn!

The day AF was due came and went, and then the following morning I thought 'i just need to know!!'....
And there it was...a BFP!!!
I was so shocked and basically just sobbed driving to work that morning!

So I'm almost 5 weeks, and it's obviously early days. I mildly petrified about the the prospect of miscarrying again. ..
But in an attempt to make this bean stick, I'm going to be continuing with acupuncture for now and just try and be as relaxed as possible (easier said than done!).

Apologies for a long post, but I just want to say that for me, after around 6 weeks of acupuncture (so about £250!), I've got the result I've been so dearly hoping for, and I genuinely feel it was down to the acupuncture!
As a GP in training, my mind has been opened to the potential benefits of alternative medicine. I would definitely say give it a go!!

Good luck to you all x

Wow congratulations! :dance::dance::dance: Have a healthy and happy 9 months! :)

Wow congratulations! :dance::dance::dance: Have a healthy and happy 9 months! :)

Ahh thanks so much Papermoon!! :)

It's just so encouraging to read about people's success stories with acupuncture (or any other means for that matter!), so I'm delighted to be able to say 'hey it worked for me too!'

H+H to all x

And also congrats on your pregnancy Papermoon, almost fully cooked!

Last edited:
Acupuncture worked for me too, I defo wouldn't have my almost 18 month old miracle if it wasn't for having acupuncture for sure. Good luck x

Acupuncture worked for me too, I defo wouldn't have my almost 18 month old miracle if it wasn't for having acupuncture for sure. Good luck x

That's so great to hear Lucyboo! :dance:

I have a lot of faith that continuing with acupuncture can help this one stick.. Had a lovely session today, heat lamp and moxa which was so relaxing :)

Im another huge advocate of accupuncture. I had it leadung up to and during my IUI cycle. Im sure it definetly contributed to it. Thers a feeling of almost not being able to deacribe how it makes you feel but it de-sressed me and I had a lot of faith in her!

Im another huge advocate of accupuncture. I had it leadung up to and during my IUI cycle. Im sure it definetly contributed to it. Thers a feeling of almost not being able to deacribe how it makes you feel but it de-sressed me and I had a lot of faith in her!

That's great to hear laurat!

I definitely know what you mean, it is hard to put your finger on it. I felt like my body was gradually waking from some sort of hibernating state! And I felt much more able to cope with the stress of TTC, just more matter of fact and possibly harbouring a quiet belief that this was going to be what worked for me.
Yeah I have a lot of faith in my acupuncturist, she's very motherly. She was delighted to hear that I have strong heartburn and belching all the time, a good sign apparently!

Thanks for sharing your experience! I am planning to have IVF soon and had been thinking about getting acupuncture, it's good to know even 6 weeks of it worked for you! xx

I'm glad my experience was encouraging tinselcat.
Most of the evidence around acupuncture seemed to be linked to its use with IVF, so it definitely sounds like it can increase your chances. Plus having that time to focus on yourself is great for reducing stress. I'd say go for it, other than a bit of cash, I really don't think you've got anything to lose!

Lots of luck to you!x

Last edited:
Congrats on yr pregnancy. A friend of mine had acupuncture before and during her cycling at Gdansk ivf clinic and got pregnant at the first try. Sure enough acupuncture works

Congrats! I love acupuncture although it didn't work for me. DH doesn't believe in it either so I can't really have it outside of IVF xx

Congrats! I love acupuncture although it didn't work for me. DH doesn't believe in it either so I can't really have it outside of IVF xx

Thanks phonixgirl!
Sorry to hear it didn't work for you, I guess we're all different, never a one size fits all..! That aside, most people do seem to find acupuncture a relaxing and useful experience.
Good luck to you.x

Congratulations DocL! It's nice to hear of a positive experience with alternative therapies. Was considering trying myself or perhaps reflexology. May help de-stress if nothing else as some days I feel like TTC is taking over!!

Congratulations DocL! It's nice to hear of a positive experience with alternative therapies. Was considering trying myself or perhaps reflexology. May help de-stress if nothing else as some days I feel like TTC is taking over!!

Thanks MoominGirl!
I'd definitely say it's worth giving either accu or reflexology a go - have heard lots of good things about both, in terms of both BFPs and general relaxation/destressing! Maybe reflexology is a better option if you're a bit uncertain about needles. That said, they don't hurt!

Totally get the all-consumingness around TTC! Would be lying to say that accu stopped all that, but I did certainly feel more measured in approaching things, and more 'ce sera' about it all.

Good luck!x

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Actually the needles wouldn't bother me so I'd be more than open to giving either a go. Feels like anything is work a try! I think the de-stress is needed. I'm normally such a logical thinker and generally very calm so I really can't handle the state I'm getting myself in over it all! Think my husband would also appreciate me getting some perspective haha.

I know what you mean MoominGirl! I felt like I went from an intelligent(ish!), level headed woman, and gradually evolved (or devolved..) into an irrational, emotional wreck! But i think it just shows how much we really want it.

Whichever option you go for, I think it's great that you're doing a positive thing for both your mind and body.

I'm trying to get into a more positive mindset this cycle. I'm a bit of a control freak by nature (OH would testify!) and I'm the sort of person who usually likes to logically fix a problem. I'm trying to focus on aspects I can control as it makes me feel like I'm doing something positive even if its just looking after myself better and getting into a better frame of mind. That's what I'm telling myself anyway!!

Hope you don't mind me asking but other than checking they're registered is there anything else you would suggest I ask when looking for an acupuncturist? Very new at this as I'm sure you can tell!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back