Acupuncture - load of bull of worth a go??

Vickyxx

Reaction score
Hey Ladies

Hope you are all ok.

So my MIL has suggested I try acupuncture while I wait for my operation, which wont be until Dec/Jan :wall2:

And I was just wondering what are your opinions are of it, is it a waste of money or do you think it could help ?

I cant say I am particularly thrilled of the idea of having dozens of needles stuck in me, but MIL thinks it could work as it worked for her (hers was non fertility related tho) she has sent me the details of the guy she went to.

Am in two minds at the moment of whether to give it a go or not!!!

It's quite good :) It can help relax you & send blood flow to the lining of your womb to make it thicker. People often have this before having ivf, it can help relax & warm the womb before egg transfare. I heard it can help the ovarys too, i have had a few its soo relaxing, found myself falling asleep lol, its worth a go.

Thing is it may work for some & not for others but anything is worth ago, so i'd say go for it, i felt soo relaxed having this done it took away the stress of ttc, i looked forward to having it done. :) x

Last edited:
Thanks Star, I have been reading some fairly decent study reports on women with pcos and acupuncture and how successful it was for them. A lot of them reported normal cycles and an uplifted mood.

Just a little sceptical as its a lot of money for it not to work, plus the idea of having all them needles in me .... not that great with needles!!

Hey Vicky, I posted a couple of weeks ago pretty much asking the same question. Ive got a woman in work who swears that accupuncture was what helped her get pregnant. She had been ttc no 2 for over 2 years with hubby having a reduced sperm count. After 2 sessions she was pregnant. Same with her friend. A couple of girls who are in the tri sections also got back to say they had tried it too and they are pregnant!

Im going to try it after my house move and holiday next week. To be honest I think its worth a try. Im up for anything! Going to do one session a week at a cost of £30. FX it works for us both! Xxx

Hi Vicky. I was wondering the exact same thing, and it's definitely the needles thing that puts me off too. It is mentioned in this book about pcos I've been reading and a lot of sufferers swear by it. It might be worth giving it a go for 1 or 2 sessions while you wait for your op? Xxx

I have done it, helped with mild endo and I got diagnosed with pcos years ago but never really showed symptoms for pcos. Acupuncture helped with my endo and I got my BFP during acupuncture. Lots of positive research but go with an accredited therapist with British acupuncture council.

Funnily enough I never felt the needles until one session I fell asleep in and it stung a little, low and behold my BFP the following week. Good luck if you try it xx

The studies show that there is no difference in groups who have real acupuncture and sham acupuncture (where the needle doesnt penetrate but the person cant tell).

I would be really very sceptical especially if you have to pay for the treatment. It has been shown that any treatment where you belive it will work will work in 30% of the time this is called the placebo effect. If you truely belive it will work it might. I'd rather spend the money on shoes they make me feel much better.

Also there are some very bad practicioners who have punctured lungs ,used non sterile needles etc. So if you do decide to go ahead check the persons record online first.
Good luck
love Daisy 2011

I don't believe in it to be perfectly honest but if you want to give it a go and it relaxes you, then no harm done i guess :)

To me it is just in the same camp as legs in the air after sex - no one comments on all the times they did it and didn't get pregnant but if they do it and they do get pregnant then it was clearly due to that :oooo:

Hey Chic, read some of the ladies posts aboves.

Iv done 4 rounds of IVF now, and I did Acupuncture on the first 2 rounds. I chose acupuncuture originallly because there is alot of scientific evidence it helps with IVF. However each time I had Accupuncture I got no effects from it at all. I didnt notice any changes in how I felt or how my body reacted to the treatment or even my well being. If anything it stressed me out even more - mainly due to the needles issues, during treatment I was already a human pin cushion and doing Acupuncture once each week only made me more anxious about the needles.

During my last 2 rounds of IVF I switched to Reiki, CBT Hypnosis and Reflexology and these treatments benefited me emensley! I have to admit I was really sceptical about the Reiki but omg I felt the effects of this within a few days after the treatment. CBT Hypnosis really sorted me out mentally and the reflexology destressed me and also felt like abit of pampering.

The thing is everyones bodies are different - what works and benefits one person wont for you. My suggestion is go with your intuition and try all the hollistic therapies until you find the one that benefits you.

I spent over £3000 on acupuncture across my first 2 IVF's and got nothing from it - infact I look upon it as the biggest waste of money ever that could have been better spent on a round of IVF! However other people here may state the total opposite and reep the benefits of it.

You really have to open your mind to these hollistic therapies and you cant just do one session you need to give it afew months.

Best of luck in your journey xxxx

Ok, for 15 years I suffered unbelievable pain at af because of my cysts. I would faint, vomit and ended up smacked out of my head on morphine every month. I started acupuncture and had no pain at all from the very first month, my Chinese doctor gave me a full allergen test, my skin cleared up, no pain, no cysts bursting and putting me in hospital. It was more than worth the money for me just to be out of that amount of pain and fear each month.
We were just starting treatment for fertility when I had to stop due to changing job location but I reckon I would have gotten pregnant a lot sooner if I had carried on. Acupuncture has been around for longer than any other medical treatment and it is proven to work by mainstream medicine now.
I don't think you would lose anything by giving it a go hun xxxxxxxxx

I have had acupuncture (for non-ttc related stuff) and found it beneficial. I looked forward to going and found it really relaxing (like one of the other girls I would tend to fall asleep). I didnt think that the needles hurt, just a wee nip; didnt notice them once they were in.

More recently I have been having reflexology again, this time specifically for ttc and period related stuff. Again, totally relaxing and i fall asleep! I adore it! I think there has also been alot written about ref;lexology and pcos etc, although I dont know how scientific it is. Have a look.

We are all told time and time again not to get stressed when ttc so In my book, anything that can help us ttc'ers to relax during what can be a really stressful and emotional time is worth a go if you want to do it.

Thanks for all your replies, its interesting to read all the positive and negative stories.

Sat down and spoke to hubby, he said if I wanted to give it a try then to do it. We both agreed I would try if for a couple of months but if after that time its done nothing then I will stop, that way we won't spend to much on it and it keeps MIL happy as well.

I have my first session on Monday with a registered acupuncturist, I will let you know how I get on.

*duplicated post*

Last edited:
Good luck Vicky. Hope it helps you. It's relaxing if nothing else xxx

Hey this is interesting to read as I've been debating it too or maybe reflexology. Good luck with it :) xx

i think star fish had it the month she got her bfp?? a midwife mentioned it to me the other day and said she thinks its great! if u've nothing to loose! hope ur well hunny xxxx

Hey this is interesting to read as I've been debating it too or maybe reflexology

Funnily enough i rate reflexology more just because having a foot massage is nice and relaxing in itself, even if the the pressure points stuff isn't true.

Hi Vicky

I am right in the middle of accupunture and I have to say that i think it helps. It is weird with the needles and you can feel them, but only a little bit. I find it really relaxing after as well, and my periods are more regular plus it has helped with my skin. I would go for it. A few freidns of mine have become pregnant as well.. not me yet, but it is only my third month of doing it Good luck. Gizzy xxx

I got pregnant on 4th month going. It may have helped I'll never know I suppose!

My mum rates it a lot. She goes for menopause and tiredness.

Xx

So I had my first session today, didnt have a clue what to expect but it all seemed to go ok.

My acupuncturist was quite a kooky character, he went through why I was there and then asked me loads of questions about diet, excercise, lifestyle etc ... we also had a very long talk about my bowels :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

I had pins placed in my feet, legs, lower tummy and hands. It didnt hurt a few of them pinched a bit but its nothing to worry about. I did feel some strange tingles and numbness during the session but I was told that was totally normal. There was about 10 pins in total.

I wouldnt say I was feeling that relaxed at first, but that was probably due to me listening to Ministry of Sound Bass Classics on the drive there ..... I felt more ready for a night out then a relaxing experience.

I also had to stop myself from laughing when he said the word "Anus" ....... god I am such a child at times!! :roll:

I am going to try and be optimistic, the guy seemed to think it could help so we will see. Am going to go once a week until the date of my operation then I will review any changes etc ....

I am still unsure of it all, just seems a bit wacky for me but I have nothing to lose by trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back