My beautiful little Poppy flower

Thanks littlemiss. Sometimes I start talking about something and it sends me into a rant without me even meaning it to be!

Well, we gave in. Poppy had her first solids tonight. We went out for a chinese yeserday and she sat in a highchair at the table with us the whole time. She was staring at us all eating; from scooping the food up with our forks and putting it into our mouths, following with her eyes. My Dad (to my absolute horror, and when I was up getting seconds from the buffet) fed her a bit of ice cream from his spoon and Luke said she lapped it up.

And, I just feel she's ready. I don't know what it is, I just felt like she should be trying food. So we gave her some Hipp Organic Apple and Banana and she absolutely loved it. She wanted more but we tried not to give her too much straight away. I might leave it a few days then try her on pureed carrot :)

Last edited:
Is there actually any harm in giving babies a taste of foods when they're 2/3/4 months old? I remember my dad giving eldest LO wee tastes of ice cream ect, just a tiny tiny bit off his spoon - when she was an older baby but "not old enough for weaning"

You know more than anyone else about your baby - you should do as you feel best.

My HV said to me when im ready to wean to let her know, I said is it not set guidelines about 6 months, she said it changes all time & not too long ago it was 3 months old they weaned at - she said do when I feel fit & no matter when it is to let her know & she'll come round & give tips, which makes me think no actual harm in weaning earlier.

:)

Poppy hasn't really had much else in the way of food. After saying I didn't want to do BLW, I was having a good read through some of the weaning posts on PF I'm now undecided again over whether or not to do it!! :wall2:
She was crying for a bottle every 2 hours yesterday, so I gave in and gave her some pureed banana and peach, and she ate all of it. It was lovely seeing her enjoying it and it kept her full for a good few hours. I am not happy to wait until 6 months for BLW if she is clearly hungry, but I just don't know what's best.

I don't know what is going to help me make up my mind about this! I don't know what to do! :(

Last edited:
:hugs:

I normally go by the health guidence but I'm tempted to say go with whats best for your baby! She's not far off 6months is she? Sorry I cant remember her exact age.

Good luck, I dont envy u - i'll be making the same decisions soon myself & im not looking forward to it

:hugs:

Thanks for all your advice michelle :) She's four and a half months. I just downloaded the gill rapley baby led weaning book to my kindle so I'm going to have a good read of that. I could try hungry baby milk in the meantime, or just increase her milk.
It's funny because when she was born I came to a decision that I wanted to do it, read a few things and then decided against it. read a few more things, and wanted to do it again! It's so hard to know what's best especially with all the conflicting advice! But, like I said, I'll give this BLW book a thorough read and come to a decision afterwards :)

Poppy hasn't really had much else in the way of food. After saying I didn't want to do BLW, I was having a good read through some of the weaning posts on PF I'm now undecided again over whether or not to do it!! :wall2:
She was crying for a bottle every 2 hours yesterday, so I gave in and gave her some pureed banana and peach, and she ate all of it. It was lovely seeing her enjoying it and it kept her full for a good few hours. I am not happy to wait until 6 months for BLW if she is clearly hungry, but I just don't know what's best.

I don't know what is going to help me make up my mind about this! I don't know what to do! :(

If she's hungry and enjoying the puree's then what's wrong with that? I think if you've been put off by BLW before maybe you'll be put off again? And if Poppy is enjoying the puree's then maybe TW is the way forward for her? You could introduce finger foods at 6 months too? x

Oh I know its an absolute nightmare. I have to admit, its something i'd forgotton about, all the tough decisions we have to make with a baby. I find my OH absolutely useless in these situations & it always seems to me as if other ppl (that I know) make their decisions really easily & every one is different...

:roll:

Right. Decision made. We are going with BLW. I have bought some hungry milk for her in the meantime. She has already been sitting with us at mealtimes in her bumbo for quite a while now, and now she has a highchair she sits in that with us. She actually sits really well in her highchair, she doesn't slide down or slump (full credit to the bumbo for this; she loves her bumbo and i'm pretty sure it has helped towards her being able to sit up really well when she has support, and I'm sure she'll be sitting up fairly early because of it).
I've read a good few chapters of the gill rapley book and without even finishing it I know it's what I want to do. OH was a bit iffy at first but I read a lot of the book out to him and he has now come round to the idea.

I'm looking forward to it now! :)

Glad you've made a decision!! I'm sure its the right one.

When did you start using the bumbo? Kayden's 9 weeks & I dont think it will be long til he'll be able to use one!!

Right. Decision made. We are going with BLW. I have bought some hungry milk for her in the meantime. She has already been sitting with us at mealtimes in her bumbo for quite a while now, and now she has a highchair she sits in that with us. She actually sits really well in her highchair, she doesn't slide down or slump (full credit to the bumbo for this; she loves her bumbo and i'm pretty sure it has helped towards her being able to sit up really well when she has support, and I'm sure she'll be sitting up fairly early because of it).
I've read a good few chapters of the gill rapley book and without even finishing it I know it's what I want to do. OH was a bit iffy at first but I read a lot of the book out to him and he has now come round to the idea.

I'm looking forward to it now! :)

Fab news hun, I'm the same! It's a great book isn't it? It makes so much sense. With B seemingly having a sensitive tummy (Aptamil literally running through her), I don't want to do all the puree stuff or jar stuff as I'm conscious of what she may be a bit intolerant too. At least with BLW I know exactly what she's having etc x

Glad you've made a decision!! I'm sure its the right one.

When did you start using the bumbo? Kayden's 9 weeks & I dont think it will be long til he'll be able to use one!!

I think we started using it when she was about two and a half months old. x

I can't believe our little Poppy Willow will be 5 months old in a few days. Nearing half a year. It really does fly by :(

If we place her in a sitting position now, she will stay like that for around 10 seconds - a minute, depending on whether or not she can be bothered :lol: but she's still not rolling over, which amazes me, because she's so close. She just needs to learn to give herself that little bit of oomph once she's gets onto her side.

I'm thinking about re-decorating Poppy's bedroom already! My sister warned me to to bother so much decorating her nursery before she's born because once she arrives you'll want to change it to suit her personailty and she was so right! We went with a mothercare bear theme before she was born and I hate it now :( I've just ordered some really cute wall stickers with birdcages and owls and butterflys and I would like to re-paint the walls in either a pale dusky pink or a pale minty green and put the stickers on. OH isn't best pleased as we bought all the accessories to match the bear theme and they weren't cheap. Hoping perhaps I can sell them on ebay! :oooo:

Oh, I also bought a physical copy of the BLW book, too. So that I can photocopy pages to give to friends/relatives who have already started with the questions and the comments like 'Oh, that doesn't sound right, i'm not sure about that...' (especailly mil!)

Last edited:
Hey lulu, we started blw at 5 1/2 months.... Didnt wait till 6! Was a bit slow, but don't think 2 weeks made a difference! X

Thanks, we probably won't wait until dead-on 6 months... she's already sitting up without support for short periods of time and she has sat with us at the dinner table for months now, so she knows what's going on and clearly wants to be part of it :) I've given her the odd thing here and there already (brocolli mainly.. and today she sucked on my apple and whinged when I took it away from her!)

Poppy finally rolled over on Jan 27th. Now she's always doing it! She is now sitting without support for 5-10mins at a time. I keep cushions around her because sometimes she likes to throw herself backwards.

She is developing the most lovely little personality and is just permanently all smiles :) She blows raspberries and is learning to make sounds - mainly 'ga' at the moment!
She is so, so beautiful, I can tell she's going to be such a heart breaker when she's older!

My 6-month old girl

img9460v.jpg

img9520r.jpg

Aw she's adorable and looks so grown up :) bless her xx

Sent from my sparkly new iPhone

I think Brooke rolled over on exactly the same day! She's doing it quite a bit too but has to get right up on her elbow to flip herself over. Poppy is so cute x

Awww she is totally gorgeous!!

You must be such a proud mummy she's coming along great!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back