My beautiful little Poppy flower

Awww how cute is she in her wee seat! loool Thats a great idea about letting her watch you eat. She's such a cutie

:)

We went for a walk today, and she loves looking at the trees. She stares up at them all wide-eyed. I got a gingerbread latte from starbucks (skinny, no cream!) and a few bits and pieces for christmas :)

Poppy's been a grumpy girl this afternoon, poor little thing. I have never seen so much drool! Literally soaked through her bib in 5 minutes. We also had blood again, I wish she would stop self-harming!! :shock: She has been very whiney and clingy, she just wanted to be held. I was more than happy to oblige, I hate to see her in pain.
Her teething ring is her best friend at the moment, she brings it to her mouth and really bites down on it. We've started putting it in the fridge to soothe her little gums. She also seemed to rather enjoy the teething gel - as soon as I applied it, she was nomming and licking and swallowing. Mmmmm, yum :shock:

She fell asleep in her Daddy's arms at 6.45pm, (she's normally up until 8.00 or 9.00) so we've put her up to bed. I feel really sorry for her, she hasn't been her normal happy little self today :( Here's hoping to a better day for her tomorrow.

Well, my little willow is 3 months old today! I can't believe it's been three whole months since I gave birth. Happiest day of my life.

Had such a lovely day today. Because Poppy went to bed so early yesterday, she also woke early! 6.00am rise, but I didn't mind at all. We left her Daddy sleeping and sat on the sofa under a blanket having cuddles :love:
When Luke finally got up, we went for a walk in the abbey gardens which are just down the road from my house. Lovely big park with old monastery ruins, it's a lovely place.
Poppy went to her Nan's this afternoon at around 4.00pm, so me and Luke went out for a meal together just the two of us which was nice as we haven't done that for a while! But we missed Poppy so much and just ended up talking about her the whole time :)

Today was also the day that Luke decided to tell me that he saw me poo when I was in labour :shock:
Oh well, I don't have to bother closing the bathroom door anymore!! :lol:

Last edited:
She has a new game - kicking her Freddie the Firefly and holding him between her feet. The look of concentration on her face is so cute :) She'll be grabbing her toes next!

Attachments

• IMG_8041.jpg
    IMG_8041.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8042.jpg
    IMG_8042.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 8
Aw bless that's so cute and clever too :) Freya loves her Freddie......good investment me thinks! Xx

Sent from my nearly buggared iPhone!!

Yes, the freddie is definitely worth buying, Poppy loves it. She grabs it and smiles at it, she uses the teether on it and now obviously is kicking it!

This morning she had one teether in each hand, and was trying to stuff both in her mouth at the same time, and got frustrated when they wouldn't both fit! So cute :)

Last edited:
I have a very hungry caterpillar on my hands at the moment. She's been draining her usual 6oz bottles and then crying for more... and polishing off another 6oz! :shock: I've been trying to feed her every 2 hours instead of every three with smaller amounts and tonight I've given her some hungry milk for the first time, which she has drained but seemed satisfied afterwards. I'm hoping it's a growth spurt because I really wanted to put off weaning her for as long as possible (and will definitely wait until 4 months, no matter what.)
I did decide to do BLW with her initially, but realistically I know I'll have a really tough time with all the gagging that's inevitably going to cause - I'll be a nervous wreck! So I think I'm going to do mixed BLW. I'll start her off with purees and offer some soft finger foods as well, just to see how she gets on with it. My in-laws bought her a lovely highchair today all ready for when weaning day arrives! It's a Cosatto 'Eat Your Greens' highchair that folds down really small which is ideal as we're running out of space for things in our house!

Had a few frights last night when Poppy's movement monitor went off a grand total of FOUR times in the night. It NEVER usually goes off, but she has decided to start scootting her way up the cot in her sleep, even with her sleeping bag on, so she moves out of range of the monitor. We've moved it so that it's in the middle of the cot rather than at the bottom tonight so hopefully it will still pick up her breathing movement after she's decided to wiggle away from it!

We've totally given up with the dummy now and resigned ourselves to the fact that she's going to be a thumb sucker. Her thumb is always in her mouth, with her index finger curled around her nose. It's cute to see now, but I don't want her having problems with her teeth and/or mouth as she grows :(

We've been putting her in her door bouncer loads this week - she LOVES it! Bounces and swings herself around and gets all excited. It's super cute :)

My gorgeous girl xx

This isn't really anything to do with Poppy or parenting, but it has occurred to me that around now would've been our lost baby's 1st birthday, and it made me a little sad.

We lost our first baby back in May of last year - our 12 week scan showed the baby had died :(

Happy Birthday little ladybug xx :angel2:

*hugs* Hun hope you're ok?

Poppy looks so cute in her bouncer and also sucking her thumb....adorable :) xx

Thanks hun, yes I'm fine it just made me feel a bit sad :(
I have a beautiful daughter fast asleep in her cot right now so I can't be too unhappy! :cloud9: x

Poppy has chicken pox! :( On Friday morning I noticed a red bump on her scalp and as the day went on, more red bumps appeared. Lots behind her ears, back and tummy and her groin. They looked so sore, bless her. She has been her usual happy self and hasn't seemed unwell or unhappy at all, but we took her to the doctors who said it definitely looks like chicken pox, but probably just a mild case as she is clinically well.
Some of the bumps have crusted over now and they look really sore, bless her... but they don't seem to bother her! We're just waiting it out and hoping she doesn't scratch any of them.

Last edited:
Hi Lulu, sorry to hear about Poppy's chicken pox, how is she now?

She's ok now, thanks. They've all pretty much dried up. She just has a rotten cold now! First of many I'm sure!

Well, Poppy very very nearly rolled over for the first time last night..... in her sleep! She always stirs a bit when me and OH go up to bed, and she was doing her usual bringing her legs right up in the air whilst still asleep, but then she thrust herself sideways and rolled right onto her side - I think if it wasn't for the cot bars being in the way she would've gone all the way over. I've put her on her activity mat this morning and can see her trying it again - so I think rolling will be any day now.

Aw bless her :) so cute and all christmassy! Gorgeous pic hun xx

On Sunday I was round at the in-laws and Luke was trying to show MIL how to use her new iPad2. I plonked myself down on the floor next to him and must've plonked a little too hard as I felt my leg twist. When I got up again, it almost felt like my leg was half out of its socket and I hobbled over to the sofa. Didn't think much of it after that, it just felt a bit sore for the past couple of days. However, yesertday I took a walk into town and had a good long mooch around with Poppy in her pushchair, didn't feel anything out of the ordinary until I woke up this morning, at 4am, to full on OUCH...*tries to roll over*....OW..OWOWOWOWOUCH! It was absolute agony. When Luke's alarm went off and he got up for work, I tried to roll again and couldn't. I can only describe it as a very sharp pain that feels a bit like a burning pain also. I tried to get up but fell back down on the bed. GREAT! :(

So Luke had a mad panic with trying to get dressed and ready for work whilst trying to get a bottle ready for Poppy before she wakes (I make them up fresh) and calling his mum to see if she could take Poppy for the day after I reluctantly agreed to it, seeing as I couldn't actually move. Luke had to call his work to tell them he would be late, but bless him... he ran around like a blue-arsed fly this morning and demanded I stay in bed. He made me a big flask of tea, he got Poppy dressed (totally mis-matched outfit :lol:) did her bottle, made sure the rest were clean and sterilised and stayed with us until his Mum arrived. She took Poppy, he went to work and I was left in bed on my own and I just burst into tears! This will be the longest I have ever been without her :cry:

Anyway I snoozed and then attempted to get out of bed, very slowly. I have managed to hobble downstairs and set up camp on the sofa for the day but I'm very sore. I was right to give Poppy to MIL as I wouldn't have been able to do much with her :(
I don't know what I've done, but the top of my leg and hip feel very twisted and sore and inflamed. I've popped some ibuprofen and making sure I rest for the day.

Right, I'll get started on a Poppy update post now....

So, Poppy turned 4 months old on Monday. She is definitely teething, her cheeks are always red and we've had some very watery nappies this week, and I can see the two bottom front teeth through the gums, ready to cut through any day now.
She is desperately trying to roll over, and sit up! But hasn't mastered either yet (I know she won't be sitting up until at least 6 months, but when she's in any lying position, she pulls herself forwards as if trying to sit up).
She is babbling a lot more, and has her hand-eye co-ordination almost sorted. She has started passing toys from one hand to the other. She has also found her feet! She grabs her legs and feet and seems to find them fascinating.

Luke said to me the other day; 'Do you think she's ok? Do you think there might be a reason why she's so good?' - bless him! But I can see where he is coming from - when people ask if she's sleeping through the night and I say yes, 12 hours, I'm sure a lot of them don't actually believe me. And people say 'how do you get her to do that? Why is she so good?'
- erm, why is she so good? Not really a question I can answer! And if you'd like proof she sleeps through the night, come and stay at my house! It seems people can never just be happy for you. When I was pregnant, if I mentioned not being able to sleep because of my bad back, you'd get comments like 'Oh you just wait until you've had that baby. You'll never get any sleep again, EVER. They'll make your life hell and you won't have any sort of life at all.' - well, not quite but that's what it felt like they were saying!
But now we've had her and she is just as good as gold, people STILL have to hark on and say 'Oh you wait until you have the next one. You never get two alike.' and ask WHY she's so good, what are you doing? Etc etc... ARGH! :wall2::wall2::wall2:

Only thing I can think of is; bedtime routine established from 3 weeks old, when she woke in the night for a feed back then, I would feed her and put her back down without talking to her, and without turning the light on. So she worked out the difference between day and night pretty quickly. Also, in the doctors yesterday, a lady commented on how calm I was with Poppy. Now, this made me think. Of course I am calm. Me and Luke are always calm with her, because we're both very calm and laid back people, so I guess it's rubbed off on her. Calm parents = calm baby. Babies DO have different personality types, too! I believe that sometimes people are too quick to blame a cranky baby on colic/teething/something else when in fact it's just how they are. Yes we are very, very, VERY lucky to have such a good girl, and I am eternally grateful for being blessed with such a little ray of sunshine. Which is why I feel really miffed (and sometimes hurt) when people can't just leave it alone. Why can't someone just say 'Oh she's lovely and calm and happy, just like her parents' rather than having to blame it on something or warn us about 'the next one :shakehead:
Anyway, I didn't mean for this post to be a rant! On to the next thing...

She had her last set of jabs yesterday until she's 1. Thank god for that. The first 2 in her thigh she didn't cry, the last one in her other thigh she did. Poor little lamb. And she's always been fine after her jabs, if a little more sleepy.

I thought we were going to have to start weaning her when she started waking in the night and screaming until she guzzled 7oz of milk, but that only lasted 3 nights and she settled down back to normal so I guess it was a growth spurt. I have decided against BLW. I might do mixed, but to be honest I don't think there's enough research or evidence to support the claim that it's best for them (please don't bash me, it's just how I feel). Plus, I am just too terrified of choking, I don't know how I'd live with myself if she did.

Right, I think that's it for now until after christmas. Hope everyone has a good one! :)

Last edited:
Poppy is coming along brilliantly. Sounds like she's on target!

Dont listen to ppl, as u said, ppl just like to make everything out to be a misery. To be fair, the majority of ppl probably do have a hard time with sleepless nights & to an extent you have been lucky, but its deserved because you've put in the hard work with keeping to the routine. I done exact same routine wise with my first, no speaking, sitting in dark ect & she was perfect, 7pm-8am from about 3/4 months & ppl would comment how do I do it as if I was a miracle worker - it just takes patience, & making sure ur home & ready to put baby to bed on time. I think alot of ppl only half heartedly try the night time routine & get put off when it doesn't work, I think it really has to be followed as you said - even if my OH comes in & disturbes me in bedroom it can totally throw LO off track & he wont settle - i think its important no talking in bedroom & hall ect. I had ppl saying with my eldest...thats not right...babies are meant to wake! rediculous, they sleep when they want to sleep & do what they want to do. loool im not exactly gona wake a sleeping baby at 3am.

And your 100% right about the calm mummy calm baby thing. I think the same can be said for pregnancy, I had a very stressful pregnancy with my 1st, spent mostly every day crying. Eldest was quite a stressy baby, cried alot. With this LO I was determined...i might not eat the healthiest during pregnancy or get enough exercise ect, but i'll try my hardest to be "laid back" I suprisingly managed it & kayden is a very content happy wee baby & only cries if in pain. I got into habit of being very calm & slow when arround him, not rushing & being stressy.

ooops sorry thats so long!

Hope your leg is better soon!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111