Most painful bit about labour

I thought the end was, just before the birth. The contraction pains are horrible but manageable if you learn how to breathe. If you have a partner who can coach you through it, the better!
I thought the end was the most painful, my contractions lasted for 1 or 2 minutes and only had 1 or 2 seconds of rest and they started again. But it's the shortest part! My body just started taking over and pushing the baby out. I didn't have any kind of pain meds or anything. Just breathing and a helpful partner who would help me when I woul lose it.
Did you have labour classes?

Weirdly I thought contractions were worse but that was because I was using the gas and air hard by the pushing so while the pain was there it wasn't as bad

I don't know if it's the most painful part but the hardest part for me is transition. It gets to a point where you almost feel out of control and can't go on. Luckily for me it's always been a short phase and then my body was pushing and baby born very quickly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PUSHING. I hate that part soooooo much!!! I’ve had all my babies drug-free so maybe with an epidural it wouldn’t be so bad but it makes me lose my mind screaming every time.

Last edited:
Ugh, twice now my reply has messed up!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Contractions nearing birth were pretty unbearable, but mine were 3min apart and a minute long right from the start and it only got worse so I didn't get a break at all and didn't get gas until I was almost fully dilated (after a 14 hour labour). The gas was amazing though and I could barely feel them on that. Personally the pushing/crowning was worst for me. The feeling of everything stretching as much as it does is very strange and no amount of gas helped with that part lol! But it was one thing I wasn't expecting or prepared for. I expected to tear down there (I didn't) and for it to be very painful, but the urethra, pubic bone and everything else around the front stretching like that was something I won't forget. Hubby said he could see the pain in my eyes at that point. It was at that point I did squeal and midwife reassured me the feeling was completely normal.
It's different for everyone though as we are built differently, have different pain tolerance, contractions are different for each individual and all babies are different sizes etc. I actually much preferred the birth experience to the whole pregnancy. One day of pain with an amazing ending vs a painful, miserable 9 months, I would pick labour any day lol!

Last edited:
Contractions nearing birth were pretty unbearable, but mine were 3min apart and a minute long right from the start and it only got worse so I didn't get a break at all and didn't get gas until I was almost fully dilated (after a 14 hour labour). The gas was amazing though and I could barely feel them on that. Personally the pushing/crowning was worst for me. The feeling of everything stretching as much as it does is very strange and no amount of gas helped with that part lol! But it was one thing I wasn't expecting or prepared for. I expected to tear down there (I didn't) and for it to be very painful, but the urethra, pubic bone and everything else around the front stretching like that was something I won't forget. Hubby said he could see the pain in my eyes at that point. It was at that point I did squeal and midwife reassured me the feeling was completely normal.
It's different for everyone though as we are built differently, have different pain tolerance, contractions are different for each individual and all babies are different sizes etc. I actually much preferred the birth experience to the whole pregnancy. One day of pain with an amazing ending vs a painful, miserable 9 months, I would pick labour any day lol!

Omg tell me more!!!! I wanna cover all aspects lol xx

I laboured 16 weeks ago.
The contractions for me were steady. When they became unbearable I rang the hospital and they said it didn't sound like much was happening and to time them. The next hour I times them every minute lasting a minute I went back in. Examined and i was 7cm by this time the pain was awful. I felt sick with pain. Gas and air helped.
The pushing was excuritiating, like having a great big poo,the gas and air was also taken away at this point too.
I tore and needed stitches and being stitched hurt aswell you can still feel it despite anaesthetic and gas and air but better then an episiotomy x

Thanks everyone! Sounds much worse than I originally planned now lol. Is there anything you wish you'd have know beforehand? Xxx

Do you prepare yourself somehow for the labor? Like massages and stuff?

Thanks everyone! Sounds much worse than I originally planned now lol. Is there anything you wish you'd have know beforehand? Xxx

Honestly, you can plan your birth but it will never go as you expected. It's painful, yes, but millions and millions of women have given birth, and you can too! As I said, a helpful partner is the best during contractions.

I did request an enema way in the begining of the contractions and was happy I did. I didn't have to worry about making a mess during birth.:lol:

I didn't eat during the 8 hours of labour, and hadn't eaten 8 hours prior to the beginning of it. So I hadn't eaten for 16 hours and wasn't allowed to eat anything ico c-section or complications. Next time, when my water breaks or have contractions, I will have a bite to eat before going to hospital.

You can do it hun, don't stress too much, it's all natural!x

How much it hurts...
I think with the first baby you are so excited and so overwhelmed that it all goes by quite quickly.
After that you know what's coming and what to expect.

Transition to pushing for me. The push contraction are forceful, useful. The ones just before it are pinchy buggers! X

I wish I'd known how freaking amazing I'd feel the SECOND the baby was out. I think that when you don't have any drugs in your system, your hormones do this magic thing to make you feel literally better than you've ever felt in your entire life. So as painful as it is, the bliss the second that baby is out is equal to the level of pain during labor. Focus on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back