Mom being a tad strange over baby..

Momma`Kat

Reaction score
Ok so my mom never gave birth, or had a baby herself, me and my brother were adopted when we were older, so i can understand she is excited that there will be a newborn around.. however i think she is taking it a bit far..

1. She wants to witness the birth
- Not just be at the birth.. Nope she wants an eyefull between my legs as baby comes out. :shock:

2. She is taking "mothering" classes.
- Learning how to change a nappy, burp, feed, etc because..

3. She is moving into my apartment when the baby is born
- And is assuming this means she gets to play full time nanny

4. She actually asked me.. If she could have the skin to skin cuddle when baby is born.. :shock:

I dont want to be rude to her, because she hasnt had her own and I feel bad.. But for christ sakes woman this is MINE MINE MINE MINE MYYY BABY :wall2:

My mum watched liv being born and cried her eyes up bless her! and she got her dressed for the very first time and i live with her lol and she comes in very handy! Bless your mum taking mothering classes i think i'd draw the line at the skin to skin though

Oohhh i wouldnt like any of that to be honest like u say ur baby have u mentioned it to her? My mum was getting a bit full on last week saying as its my first would need some reassurance and was talking bout coming to stay the first few nights and i had to subtly say we need to bond with baby and it might be too much. Hope u manage to get it sorted so u r comfortable x

hun, i know where ur coming from .... my DAD is the same lmao well apart from between the legs bit hes amazing with madison... and u will be so glad and ull prob b soooo genuinely happy that because of YOU ur mum can experience this, ur her only hope of getting a tiny lil insight.... babies always love their mum most anyway so relax and enjoy the breaks cos ur in for the long haul :D xx

My mum has gone a bit baby mental it being her first grandchild but I suppose i'm a bit young in her eyes and she just doesn't realise that I am not a complete novice I have an NVQ in childcare. Just a case of setting grandma time I guess. xx

I can understand her wanting to experience childbirth as much as she can by being there and watching it happen etc.. My sister told me "I want to watch the baby being born" and I was like nooooooo way, but once I was there I felt completely different :) I wanted someone close to me witness my child being born, it is such a special moment... Maybe she's taking the classes for herself? Maybe she wants to be helpful and make sure she knows what she's doing before baby arrives.. This mightn't be a bad thing for you, the first weeks are exhausting, nothing can ever prepare you for that kind of tiredness, I was so so grateful my mum helped me when I was struggling.. I don't agree on the skin to skin.. I think that's a special moment for the parents to experience.. & it really is so special :) Why not tell her, you would prefer to have skin to skin for as long as possible until baby needs dressed, but she can hold after that? Kind of let her down gently.. That's just my opinion anyway, it's completely your choice x

Hmmm I would hate that if being honest.
I think the mothering classes would piss me of as its your baby not hers, and she should draw the line and being a nanny and leave the rest down to you.
You want to enjoy YOUR baby, and ofc she can share that with you, but kinda at a distance if you know what I mean.
And as for skin to skin.....:shock: I would be fuming, but maybe Im just hot headed.
But to me skin to skin is for the mother and father the bond with there child to the max. A nan can bond with the child but not to THAT degree.
I wouldnt mind her having a look when he/she is born if she wanted to and didnt mind seeing my foof :lol:
Anyway Im rambling, its compleatly up to you.
I mean, my mum is coming to stay with me for 2 weeks when baby is here, but she knows and I dont think shed want to, be ott with being involved in everything. Shes coming to stay as my mum and my childrens nan and to help out if I need a hand getting into a routine.
I guess if your cool with all that then fair enough, but it just wouldnt be my cup of tea having someone kind of breathing down my neck that much so to say.
xxx

Last edited:
I agree its a bit much I wouldnt like it. Something needs to be said now really. Lilymum2joe ive just noticed your sons name thats the name we have picked Joseph James and our surname is holmes :) xxx

I would say it's a bit full on tbh, my mum is gonna be there at the birth but only cos she's had 5 kids and I trust her to tell me what to do whereas I'm likely to ignore my OH cos he hasn't got a clue lol!!

What I would say Momma Kat is that if you let your mum do this, you might end up in a bit of a vicious cycle - what about when your little girl is grown up and has her own baby, you might feel like you missed out on your perfect birthing/newborn time because you wanted to give your mum that experience and find yourself wanting the same thing from your daughter! If that makes sense :)
Saying that, make the most of any help, like the others have said. It might be an idea to write down when/what you need your mum to help you with and write down the things you know you definitely want to do for yourself. Make sure you both agree on it cos the last thing you want is arguing when bubs is here!

It's because she has never experienced it herself n feels this is her one time opportunity to get in on the action.
Ur mum needs to take into consideration that this is ur child n it's your rules.

Was it a case of ur mother didn't want her own maternal kids or couldn't have any as that makes a big difference.
If she couldn't have any she will feel bcos ur her daughter ur child is also hers. It's psychological.
But u need to speak to her n let her know it's a bit too much. Just bcos she is ur mum doesn't mean u can't voice ur opinion.

Good luck hun xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back