mixed race/religion families?

glitzyglamgirl

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am a white british spiritualist, and my partner is an asian ex-muslim with agnostic tendencies. We get on very well (obviously!) and have so much in common, our different backgrounds and religious upbringings make for some interesting conversations and we have learned a lot about our own spirituality from eachother.

Im not worried about us having a mixed race baby as we live in such a multi-cultural world these days, but we are wondering how to handle the religious aspects. His family are strict muslims and we have finally made them see that we will not have a muslim wedding, but when they find out we are having a baby I can confidentally predict that they will give us grief about not raising our child as Muslim.

I am happy for our child to learn about Muslim culture and the teachings of Islam, but only in an academic sense and only because we cant deny that he/she has Muslim roots, and we dont want him/her to be alienated from his/her extended family. I would like them to teach him/her, to better the relationship, but dont want them to teach it in the sense that it is right and he/she should believe it, as we both strongly believe that is up to the children to decide for themsleves what, if any, religion they want to follow and be a part of.

Has anyone had experience of this kind of thing?

glitzyglamgirl said:
I can confidentally predict that they will give us grief about not raising our child as Muslim.

Tell them to sod off TBH lol. Its a your and your OH's baby, so its entirley up to you how you rase it!! :moon: Grrrrr pet hate of mine, interfearing families!

Sorry not much help :D

Your right, we shoudl just tell them to sod off and if it comes to it we will dont worry lol

But there is no extended family on my side so it would be a shame to alienate them compltely. Ah well weve got a while till we need to tell them yet which will give us time to form a stradegy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back