Miscarriage don't know what to expect after empty sac found! Any advice welcome xx

Tonks82

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm currently going through a miscarriage started spotting at 7+4weeks (Wednesday). I went for a scan and the sac was empty. As it measured under 20mm I have been told I need to be re scanned in 1 week as it could have been that the embryo was too small to see but it's more likely I am having a miscarriage than not. I know I am as my pregnancy symptoms started dying off on the Monday before and I'm now properly bleeding with cramps.

Obviously I'm devastated but I don't feel I'm mourning the loss of anything as I never saw a baby on the scan. I think I would feel grief if there had been something there but there was no heartbeat. Now I just feel so f@cked off, all my plans for next year have gone out the window and now I'm back ttcing (well when I can). And if I do get pregnant again the whole experience will just not be enjoyable at all. First I'll be anxious I'll have a chemical pregnancy then after about 5 weeks I'll be anxious the sacs empty!

I don't know what to expect with bleeding another thing getting me down. Hospital won't manage it I have been left to see if it comes out on its own because of the small sac issue so I'm guessing this could go on for a while. I just wanna get started again is it selfish off me to think that?

Also read I could have period like bleeding (which I'm having now) a few days even weeks then at some point expel the rest later on. I'll go back to work Monday knowing my luck it will all kick off in the office and I'm terrified!

Sorry for the long post I'm just confused as to what to expect they were nice at the hospital but they didn't really explain what to expect, I guess they don't know either as everyone is different!
Xx

Hi ladies,

I'm currently going through a miscarriage started spotting at 7+4weeks (Wednesday). I went for a scan and the sac was empty. As it measured under 20mm I have been told I need to be re scanned in 1 week as it could have been that the embryo was too small to see but it's more likely I am having a miscarriage than not. I know I am as my pregnancy symptoms started dying off on the Monday before and I'm now properly bleeding with cramps.

Obviously I'm devastated but I don't feel I'm mourning the loss of anything as I never saw a baby on the scan. I think I would feel grief if there had been something there but there was no heartbeat. Now I just feel so f@cked off, all my plans for next year have gone out the window and now I'm back ttcing (well when I can). And if I do get pregnant again the whole experience will just not be enjoyable at all. First I'll be anxious I'll have a chemical pregnancy then after about 5 weeks I'll be anxious the sacs empty!

I don't know what to expect with bleeding another thing getting me down. Hospital won't manage it I have been left to see if it comes out on its own because of the small sac issue so I'm guessing this could go on for a while. I just wanna get started again is it selfish off me to think that?

Also read I could have period like bleeding (which I'm having now) a few days even weeks then at some point expel the rest later on. I'll go back to work Monday knowing my luck it will all kick off in the office and I'm terrified!

Sorry for the long post I'm just confused as to what to expect they were nice at the hospital but they didn't really explain what to expect, I guess they don't know either as everyone is different!
Xx

:hugs: So sorry that your in this position love.

You're right, every one differs but generally youll get cramping, bleeding and after you pass everything needed to be passed your bleeding will taper off.

In my case, Im similar to you - I didn't grieve as such because I didnt know I was pregnant until I MC so I had no bond, no knowing. I didnt have much cramp tbf either.

I bled 1 week before I found out I was pregnant (thought was my period) then woke and passed baby in the morning, then bled for another week or so. About 2-3 weeks in total of MCing, bleeding and eventually getting to BFN. But as you know, everyones body deals with a failed pregnancy different so your MC could be shorter or longer.

Did the EPU do your bloods? I know your going back for another scan to monitor it, when I got my first scan I got bloods done - they were up at 2000 odd so they rescanned me, then did bloods again to compare and make sure that the HCG was falling, which it had by more than half. She asked if Id return for more bloods, but I just called my practice nurse and organised my HCG through her, explained the situation and by the time I got my third set of bloods the hormone was super low and I got BFN's. I waited for 10-14 days and in that time my AF turned up and I had a "normal" cycle and everything has kinda went back to normal since then.

May be worth to get bloods next time you go to EPU if it is a confirmed MC and then a week after arrange with EPU further bloods, or with your practice Nurse.

And make sure that you rest love. I hope the news turns around for you, but if not - we are all here to help or support you if you need it :)

I took a few days off work, if its pregnancy related illness it doesnt go against your sick leave. It is just noted. May be worth maybe even getting a sick line from GP? I know some times to work and move on is good - but at the same time, the early stages of a MC is sometimes painful and inconvenient ie blood loss at work....

xxxxx

Last edited:
I am so so sorry that you are going through this. Don't be surprised if your feelings change and you do start to feel like mourning, you may just be in shock at the moment.

I had medical management for my mmc and was further on so I don't think me telling you my experience will help but I do hope this doesn't last long for you.

If you don't want to be at work or are worried about it happening at work then it is OK to stay off, absolutely OK to want to stay at home to deal with this, physically and emotionally.

Big hugs xx

Thanks ladies.
No bloods were taken at EPU they never mentioned anything about it.
Today I'm having more intense pains especially in my lower back I've taken quiet a lot of painkillers and they are still a bit uncomfortable and they Come and go. Normally my period pains are for the 1st day only.
My boss is lovely she has said take the time off I need. I can maybe work from home as much as I can next week if nothing has happened by Monday.

Im dreading the pains getting worse such a wuss!
Xx

First let me say that I'm terribly sorry for your loss. *Virtual hug*

My miscarriage came as a surprise. I was 8 weeks pregnant, 3 days before Christmas. I was waiting till week 12 to get my first ultrasound.

That day I had very, very mild period-like cramps that honestly, I thought was the start of a bowel movement. About an hour or so later I passed the largest clot that I had ever seen come out of me. If I had to estimate the size of it, I would say it was around 1-2 tablespoons. It was blob like and had some clear “stuff” around it. This, needless to say, freaked me out. My midwife said to wait a day and take vitamin C - 4 times w/in 24 hours, wait and see if other symptoms came on.

I had very minor spotting that night after passing the clot. That next day I experienced the light period cramps again but started getting light bleeding. By about 8 pm that night, the bleeding got heavier, and the cramps got more intense.

Since this was my first pregnancy I can only guess as to what a labor contraction would feel like, but I would label the cramps that I felt during the miscarriage to be similar to those of labor contractions. Each contraction would last for what seemed like about a minute and immediately after that I would rush to the bathroom and push out gushes of blood and clots. I’d go back to lay down on the bed for about 10 minutes then get another contraction and rush back to the bathroom. This continued for about an hour and a half to 2 hours. After that time, the cramps went away, and the bleeding was only light.

The next day I was an emotional wreck.

Off and on over that next week, I felt guilty, ashamed, depressed, and alone. As the week progressed my bleeding got lighter and lighter to the point of just spotting. One thing that I found to be unusual from symptoms that I researched online was that from the start of the actual miscarriage up till about 5 days after, I had diarrhea. Again, as the days went on the less severe it got, to the point of just loose stools and then finally normal after about a week.

Now - physically I feel fine, but emotionally I have my ups and downs.

I hope that my story helps, and again, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Thanks for your help ladies!
I'm getting stronger everyday. I'm getting mild labour contraction type pains, I had a lot yesterday and they are starting this morning. I haven't passed any tissue style product yet at all just red blood and some tiny looking clots for the pass 3 days. I just want it to hurry up so u can move on.
I still have some very mild pregnancy symptoms which is not what I need right now either!

X

This is not meant to scare, but to prepare you, although, of course, everyone is different. I was bleeding like a heavy period for ages, then one day, I got what I guess are like contraction pains way down low in the lady bits and then within the day I had 'fully' miscarriaged. I was out when it happened and so wish I hadn't been, so stay active but keep yourself warm and safe too. Look after yourself.
My attitude was, I love this little thing that we created, but it wasn't meant to be as it had something majorly wrong with it. so when can we start trying for our next, for real baby? So, I felt the same as you and unusually for me, felt no guilt. I wish I had had that baby, of course, but only if it was healthy.
You also have a very good chance of going on to have another healthy pregnancy. You seem to have prepared yourself well. I am extremely anxious about this one, but there is so much support around that you will be ok. Use the NHS website as a means of info. It's great. Also The Miscarriage Association are superb and give amazing, accurate advice about this time and anxiety should you become pregnant again. I spoke to a volunteer for an hour the other night who was brilliant and had been through it all - not just for miscarriages but early pregnancy too.
Remember to let yourself heal. Sounds hippy but it's true. Your mind and body have been through hell and back.
Good luck xxxx

I am sorry for your loss, look at steadyhealth com/articles/infertility-problems-trying-to-conceive-after-a-miscarriage and momjunction com/articles/chemical-pregnancy-and-ivf_00390163/ Hope you would find it useful

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back