Messy breastfeeding - does it end? *update pg2*

xxbeckyxx

Reaction score
I am totally up for feeding in public, I have no problem whacking out a boob and if anyone says anything I will tell them where to go. HOWEVER, I can't do it because Lizzie is such a messy feeder!!! She doesn't latch on and stay there, she's on, then off, then on...then having a little fight with herself cos she can't be bothered to latch, then on again etc etc. Which results in me and her both being covered in sticky breastmilk. And when the let down reflex kicks in she tends to come off the boob and milk squirts everywhere. And my other boob is then leaking that much milk that my breastpad can't cope and so I have a big wet patch the other side too! :wall2:
Is this something that will stop? I can't imagine doing this while out and about because I need about 3 muslin cloths to mop everything up, and I have to put Lizzie down while I clean myself up which means I'll literally be topless in public lol.
I'm hoping Lizzie will learn to just latch on and go, and then come off when the boob is empty, but is this actually likely??
Any other tips for staying dry/clean?

Last edited:
:rofl: I have images of you with your boob projectile milking everywhere in the middle of a cafe or restaurant lol!! God I hope it's not always messy, I want to be able to feed our and about without having to much issue x

no advice but you have given me strange mental images haha

:rofl: I have images of you with your boob projectile milking everywhere in the middle of a cafe or restaurant lol!! God I hope it's not always messy, I want to be able to feed our and about without having to much issue x

Lol, I can imagine that actually happening! To think I ever worried about not producing enough milk - it's definitely the other way round!

becky amelia is exactly the same and my milk does actually squirt out like across the room! im hoping she settles down she seems better in the day x

Becky does this happen straight away with her messing around or after a couple mins or longer?

I was having this problem and it was literally wind. My milk was flowing so fast (like it sounds like yours does) that he'd feed so quickly in the first couple of minutes that he'd need to be winded straight away. As soon as he just starts playing with my nipple Abd not latching on I now sit him upright, burp him and put him back on. Seems to sort out the problem.

Ooh I'll give that a go Gem, it could be as she always does a massive burp when I turn her back upright after a feed so maybe she needs to get it out sooner and then she can chill out and feed properly :)

I bet it is that! Took me weeks to figure it out but now as soon as he gets to the point where he's licking my nipple, attempting to latch on but not quite then I put him upright and he usually burps straight away.

thanks rayoflight i will give that a go as well x

Becky does this happen straight away with her messing around or after a couple mins or longer?

I was having this problem and it was literally wind. My milk was flowing so fast (like it sounds like yours does) that he'd feed so quickly in the first couple of minutes that he'd need to be winded straight away. As soon as he just starts playing with my nipple Abd not latching on I now sit him upright, burp him and put him back on. Seems to sort out the problem.

Same here with alex he messes around and it is wind as soon as he burps he goes on feeds until he has a bit more wind.

I also burp alex before he has his next feed as he has a habit of hanging onto it sometimes and is why I may not have him latching on like normal. I had a funny incident last week I missed a feed as we were out and he had a bottle and I was gettig ready to go in the bath and my nipples both started leaking at the same time, I had to run downstairs naked to get the breastpump to try and save some of it hubby was lhao!!

Which breast pads r u using the tommee tippee or the tesco own brand slim fit which is only £1.52 for 40 pads and they r exactly the same r huge pads and catch my other squirty boob lol!
Chloe comes off she has a snotty nose this morning she sucked and pulled back and milk went all over my husbands side of the bed lol but what he doesn't know... :rotfl:

I am totally up for feeding in public, I have no problem whacking out a boob and if anyone says anything I will tell them where to go. HOWEVER, I can't do it because Lizzie is such a messy feeder!!! She doesn't latch on and stay there, she's on, then off, then on...then having a little fight with herself cos she can't be bothered to latch, then on again etc etc. Which results in me and her both being covered in sticky breastmilk. And when the let down reflex kicks in she tends to come off the boob and milk squirts everywhere. And my other boob is then leaking that much milk that my breastpad can't cope and so I have a big wet patch the other side too! :wall2:
Is this something that will stop? I can't imagine doing this while out and about because I need about 3 muslin cloths to mop everything up, and I have to put Lizzie down while I clean myself up which means I'll literally be topless in public lol.
I'm hoping Lizzie will learn to just latch on and go, and then come off when the boob is empty, but is this actually likely??
Any other tips for staying dry/clean?

I know what you mean - I leak lots at the beginning whilst Isla is getting herself sorted. I can't imagine feeding in public at the moment either!

Thanks Evie for the Tesco Breast pad recommendation I'll try that out.

Anyone used the johnsons ones? I hate them. My nips stick to them and end up sore.

Yeah I've been using the Johnsons ones and their not great - will try the tesco ones next time I get into tesco. I do have washable ones but the lansinoh lanolin stuff doesnt wash off them so they've started looking a bit minging!

Becky - your supply of breast milk will stabilise in the next week or so - mine did and I stopped the excessive leaking!

Thanks Evie for the Tesco Breast pad recommendation I'll try that out.

Anyone used the johnsons ones? I hate them. My nips stick to them and end up sore.

Yes they r horrible! Lol I get so sore n itchy and they r too fat and small lol x

Ive read a few places that sometimes the let down is too strong for baby to deal with, so thats why they pop off, sudden blast of milk hittin their throats! Advice was to express a bit before the feed to get rid of the initial milk gusto.

I only have one boob that does this but still enough to give Alanna a fright and pops off a few times before settling.

I didn't like the Johnsons breast pads either...the Lansinoh ones are good, or the supermarket ones but they're a bit smaller - at first I liked to have a large one nearby to clamp over the fountains :rofl:

Mine were both like that at first though...they'd struggle to keep up, come off, milk would gush around the room. By about 6 weeks it had all settled down a bit though - it doesn't take them long to get better at keeping up with the fast flow. My nursing cover was great for feeding when they were little too - nobody could see the mess and fountains if they did come off :lol:

I will definitely try some different breast pads, thanks for the idea for tesco ones evie - I was thinking maybe the most expensive ones would be better and was about to buy johnsons but won't bother now!
I'm using the boots ultra absorbent ones atm, they are nice cos they are big, but aren't really that absorbent at all! And it's ouchie when my nipple sticks to them :(
I feel a bit better about the whole thing now - I keep having to remind myself how young Lizzie still is and that we're both still adapting. It feels like she's been here forever so I assume this is how it's always going to be but of course that's not the case :)

I've tried the boots ones I leaked everywhere lol!
The tecso are just like the tommee tippee I only bought them coz they were much cheaper but they r even individually wrapped like the tommee tippee I was well impressed at the cost and it means if I breastfeed for a year I've saved £120 on breast pads too lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back