Breastfeeding and latching

drea b

Reaction score
LO is 6weeks now and breastfeeding is getting worse - not better :wall:

She use to latch on ok (never great) but now she is on and off every 2 minutes :wall: she is geting really frustrated whilst on my boob and has again lost weight (4 oz's in a week)

anybody got tips for getting her to open her mouth wider when latching, and getting her to stay there.

I start with my nipple high up on his nose and then he starts to open his mouth to try and get to it. But obviously he can't because it's on his nose! Anyway, this makes him open his mouth wider and I just slide my nipple down quickly and shove it in his mouth!

So it's kind of a quick slide down and in if that makes sense?

K.xx

Hiya hun :hug: :hug:

Have you tried different positions in which to feed her. Like the rugby hold or lying down with her.

Do you have a breastfeeding support group you could go to or give them a call.

Le Leche League is great, i have spoke a few times to a leader and they are so helpful.

My babs is similar at night and sometimes in the day. I am starting to think she might be overtired and not getting enough rest during the day. Have you tried putting her to bed for regular rests in the day? I am trying it today and so far she has gone down for 2 rests.

I was reading a book that advised to put them down for a rest as soon as you see them yawn and aparently an average is 3 naps for about 1 and a half hours during the day then longer at night. I dont think my babs has been getting anywhere near that and then feeding is a problem. Also it may be tiredness and not feeding that the baby wants. I have been tending to shove a boob in her mouth thinking that is what she wants throughout the day.

I have also found lying down to feed really helpful when babs is thrashing around and bobbing on and off boob. :hug:

I always have a pillow on my lap to ensure my son is high enough up to my nipple... saves you from getting bad back from leaning over too.

Hope it gets better for you soon hun. :hug:

DS was a really lazy feeder until he was about 3/4 months I used to have to HOLD my boob in his mouth or he would just spit it out and then complain. I didn't even realise I was doing it at first, it was only when my mum commented on it that I worked on changing how I sat so that he had to latch properly.

Some babies like to take the easy option! If you think that's what it is it's just a case of working on your positioning & how you hold her until she starts taking it properly.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back